Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

With only one more show left this year for Walmington Pier Tramway, I now think about planning for its annual winter overhaul. In addition to the usual touching up of paintwork that's been scratched, peeled or faded, I will have to replace the plastic water-effect sheeting as the existing sheets (which have been in place 5 years) have seen better days.

I have been advised a few times that my end-board of Totland Bay Hotel (IoW) at the shore end doesn't do the pier any favours largely because the lines of perspective change. Now looking at this fading scene I agree.

The board will be removed and a modified Dapol platform canopy will straddle the shore end as both station and pavillion. There will be no buffer stop at this end for I would like to improve operation by 100%! Pier Tram No.1 will remain in service and in conjunction with my Peco loco-lift, will swap places with either a works car or my finely-tuned Bachmann Gandy Dancer (Pump Trolley).

Very little change is planned for the pier head other than what I found on an Edwardian postcard of Herne Bay pier head where its tramway (1898-1939) buffer stop was illuminated by a cut-down gas lamp - I will replicate this feature on my own pier head!

Herne Bay Pier Head as it has been since storm damage in 1978.

Just watch this space over the winter months!

Dave.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Piermaster @ 21 Aug 2007, 11:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Herne Bay Pier Head as it has been since storm damage in 1978.

Well it survived better than Margates did!

As an aside have you everthought about a lifeboat station?

Regards

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 21 Aug 2007, 17:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well it survived better than Margates did!

As an aside have you everthought about a lifeboat station?

Regards

Hi Britho,

I believe that there are remains of Margate Jetty (the iron pier as opposed to Margate Pier the stone one) still visible at low tide? I understand that it took a few attempts at blowing it up!

A lifeboat station would be nice, but in the Edwardian era it would be either a sailing boat or rowing boat launched and that would be hard to reproduce. Have seen a lighthouse with its own pier:

It is Hohwe Weg Lighthouse on the approaches to Bremerhaven and lends itself to a narrow gauge powered trolley along its length!!!

Go on, dare you!!!!!

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Piermaster @ 21 Aug 2007, 18:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It is Hohwe Weg Lighthouse on the approaches to Bremerhaven and lends itself to a narrow gauge powered trolley along its length!!!
Go on, dare you!!!!!

Hmmm - better not, I've got far too much on the go already what with Fullers Yard and Nether Sennett currently under construction. Not to mention ongoing maintenance of St Lauren. Possibly an idea for the back burner?

You are quite right about the remains of the jetty, it is possibly the only jetty in the UK marked by a wreck buoy! I remember the nighjt of the storm vividly as I was actually out with friends in the harbour area when the Jetty collapsed. One second it was there - the next it had gone.

There were a number of attempts to blow it up - they in fact became quite a tourist attraction.

Regards

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Made a start on the winter refit already!

The end board with the hotel picture above did not give up without a fight! It took me drills, saws, screwdrivers and a good old fashioned dental-type pliers to get the nails out! but I won.

A Scaledale Level 1 Brick retaining wall now fills up the shore end gap from base to pier and looks a convincing foreshore wall. I've assembled the Dapol Platform Canopy frame and despite modifications, it won't fit!!!

All the old plastic sea surface has been removed above and the new sheets will be the last items to be fixed.

Treated myself to a pack of 6 Weismann Victorian-style lamps for £24 at Model Junction, Bury St. Edmunds and decided to go for working lights along the pier - ideal for the gloomy and poorly lit exhibition halls, like NEC's Hall 5 or the 100-inch Engine Hall at Kew Bridge Steam Museum above!!!

Photos to follow once there is something worth photographing.

Dave

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
QUOTE (Piermaster @ 21 Aug 2007, 10:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have been advised a few times that my end-board of Totland Bay Hotel (IoW) at the shore end doesn't do the pier any favours largely because the lines of perspective change. Now looking at this fading scene I agree.

Thanks, David, I thought the building looked familiar - we had several holidays at Totland Bay in the late 1950s. And is that a glimpse at the bottom of the picture of part of the row of beach-huts not far from the shore end of the pier?

Regards,
John

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (John Webb @ 13 Dec 2007, 11:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks, David, I thought the building looked familiar - we had several holidays at Totland Bay in the late 1950s. And is that a glimpse at the bottom of the picture of part of the row of beach-huts not far from the shore end of the pier?

Regards,
John

Yes John, you are right, it is Totland Bay and I used a photocopy of an Edwardian hand-tinted postcard, and although I've never been there, I'm told that the beach huts and cafe are still there!

Dave

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Piermaster @ 12 Dec 2007, 19:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Photos to follow once there is something worth photographing.

I like the lights along the length - they really do make a difference.

BTW congratulations on your new job, I hope it all works out.

Regards

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still no photos yet!!

Walmington Pier Tramway's overhaul has been going well:
- The Skaledale Level 1 retaining wall now forms the sea wall at the shore end.
- All the decking has been repainted and the handrailing touched up.
- The Veissmann park lights are in place but had wiring problems so they will remain unlit until further notice.
- The new sea surface is in place and looks really good.

Spent Christmas in France at Wimereux, near Boulogne

Christmas morning from our hotel balcony!
and (at low tide) filled up a sandwich box of Wimereux beach sand which is now dry enough to add a bit of foreshore.

Photos will be done by 12 January once the beach is in place.

Dave.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Looks like a bleak and chilly place to spend Christmas.

Regards

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 2 Jan 2008, 13:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks like a bleak and chilly place to spend Christmas.

Regards

Strangely enough, not that cold! And that was only the high tide! Damn sight better than spending Christmas in Britain glued to the box!

You must remember that neither my wife nor I have any family left in Southern England, that's why we get away.

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.