Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The Warley National Model Railway Show 2007 to be held in Hall 5 of the NEC on 1st and 2nd December is the 40th Anniversary Show and will be the largest and best ever!

Here is a link to the Warley National Model Railway Show 2007 webpage which has the latest show news and is regularly updated:-

http://www.warley-mrc.org.uk/exhibition.htm

The show organisers are seeking help to promote the show. It is an annual showcase for our hobby and this gives all of us a chance to do our bit and promote our hobby!

There is a link below to an A4 poster that you can print off. If you are a stockist or you know of locations where promotional material for the show could be positioned (at work even! You could help to arrange a works outing to the show! Note the price deal for party organisers!) then please print the poster off and promote the show!

http://www.warley-mrc.org.uk/2007%20poster%20a4.pdf

Thank you for your help!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
is asleep
758 Posts
Looks good. I like the idea of the "Demonstrations for the More Experienced" being offered, in particular:

25kv Overhead Line Equipment by Tim Easter & Andy Dell

Perhaps Bachmann and Hornby should attend and then maybe they might think better of an electric or five!

Nice to see some European N layouts there too, one each of the Belgian, Dutch and German prototype.

Does anyone recommend the hassle(?) of getting advanced tickets? Can one jump the queue and/or take pictures in peace and quiet for a few minutes with such a ticket?

Goedel

·
Registered
342 Posts
Have made it the last 2 years on the saturday so i suppose if i start planning now i might just engineer that saturday off

I think there are a few modern era layouts that i haven't seen before so definitely some interest there although i don't think there will be any major items of rolling stock that i wasnt due out then unless the NEW hornby 56 comes out (craiova built in blue
) just before the exhibition

from the list of trade/society stands do i take it the centrepiece loco will 73082 camelot ?

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE Does anyone recommend the hassle(?) of getting advanced tickets? Can one jump the queue and/or take pictures in peace and quiet for a few minutes with such a ticket?

Highly recommended as you do jump the queue by 30 minutes on each day giving you the chance to snap up the bargains first. And the queue for tickets at the ticket desk for the first hour is long so another advantage of advanced tickets is that you don't queue at the ticket booth and you can walk straight past the "standard" queue with a very smug look on your face! Saturday morning is best for the shopper. The best time for photography is Sunday afternoon or Sunday morning during the 30 minute early entry period if you plan what you want to photograph first.

It really is going to be the best show ever this year!

I am wondering if the Bachmann Deltic with DCC sound is going to make it?
It will definitely sell out if it does. Bachmann should arange a Dapol style unveiling complete with mega soundblaster system and Wembley arena type speakers if the model is to be launched at the show as it will certainly pull a crowd! The Dapol Voyagers sold out fast at the 2006 show and no doubt Dapol will have another major unveiling George Smith style at Warley 2007!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
342 Posts
last year my first 30 mins inside were spent securing a 108 I think warley is too crowded for photography much easier at smaller events

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The show this year is in the NEC's largest hall which I believe (correct me if I am wrong) is 30% larger than the space used last year and will be the largest ever model railway show seen in the UK!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Much as I believe Warley to be a wonderful institution, and I have attended quite a few of them including travelling from South Africa specifically to my first one. I think I'll give this years show a miss. It's a long way over crowded roads at a poor time of year for travelling. It's main aim is 2 & 4 mm rightly so as their the most popular scales. It induces folks to part with vast sums of money (it's purpose). but my last visit it was so crowded as to be unpleasant, folks insist on carrying Rucksacks the size that Baden Powell would have been proud off, and using these to fend off others trying to get close to things. It's expensive the entry fee, and queuing is mandatory (it's a British tradition ). Anyway that's my feeling

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is a danger that the Warley exhibition could become a victim of it's own success due to the crowding that seems to have occurred in the past.

In terms of rucksacks, I carry a small one, but in my hand, not on my back so as not to sweep people off their feet when I turn round, and to take up less space when watching the trains go by.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (goedel @ 28 Aug 2007, 00:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Righto, I shall stop washing two weeks before instead of just one if the throng that needs clearing is so thick!

Goedel

Bring a gas mask.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Please, lots of pictures for us dudes who can't make it..

Baykal

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Warley a few survival tips. For Seniors

A walking stick is very useful for forcing you way through a throng of potential buyers. It can be successfully used to trip others. A stink bomb can have a devisating short term effect on crowds, used for tactical advantage it's a great crowd jumper ( don't use more than one per show ) If you contemplating trying the guide dog trick, please obtain a proper breed and not the neighbours poodle. Pit bulls are not convincing even if you like them !
At all costs avoid buying a round at the bar, arrive at least 5 minutes late of your pre arranged time to catch your mates at the point of ordering, just simply add your drink to his order. Departure needs to be timed just prior to your turn to buy a round. Wear strong study boots with which to crush unwary toes. Frustrate staff when you finally get served at a stand by claiming your deaf, and don't forget to claim they offered a pensioners discount. Double your efforts for a substantial discount at stands of dealers you don't like, and have the pleasure of loudly proclaiming it's too expensive on a pension, when they won't give it. It greatly improves your pleasure. Take you own food to avoid the high cost of lunch, but make sure you occupy all the chairs possible at your chosen food station by dumping your rucksack and bags of purchases on nearby chairs, avoid eviction by buying a cheap drink, or free water with which to take your pills !. Finally make sure you obtain a seniors ticket, and bellow loudly about the high cost of entry. Borrow a friends program it saves buying one. A friends disability badge improves the chance of superior parking.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
I am looking forward to this years show.

I am glad they have done something about the high stand prices. i am not so pleased about the result that the thing that was scheduled for release at ally pally has been brought forward to warley.

i shal be going both days this year (as usual).

I am also looking forward to being pressed up against the clothes show visitors on the train. thats always the highlight of the day!

Peter

·
Registered
342 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 27 Aug 2007, 21:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The show this year is in the NEC's largest hall which I believe (correct me if I am wrong) is 30% larger than the space used last year and will be the largest ever model railway show seen in the UK!

Happy modelling
Gary

But will the aisles be any wider last year got to be quite difficult moving around on some of the more central aisles and if anyone in a wheelchair was trying to get through gridlock

30% more space is welcome as long as it isn't completely occupied by more stands/traders I think if the exhibition is to accomodate increasing numbers then it needs to allow more space for the visitors to circulate especially close to some of the more popular traders

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE But will the aisles be any wider

I second that.

David

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 28 Aug 2007, 09:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am also looking forward to being pressed up against the clothes show visitors on the train. thats always the highlight of the day!

Peter

I've never been before but have often wanted to so this is the year and you're making it sound more worthwhile making the effort all the time

I know it's early but is there a plan to meet up at Warley? Would be nice to put some faces to the names

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Looking at the plan and assuming the attendance is similar to last year there should be improved circulation on previous shows with full advantage being taken of the additional hall area for the benefit of visitors, traders and exhibitors. Overall exhibition and trade frontage is up so more to browse than even last year!

For a list of exhibitors click the link below:-

http://www.warley-mrc.org.uk/exhibitors.htm

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE there should be improved circulation on previous show
Sounds good

David

1 - 20 of 23 Posts