Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Feedback on the pictures will be welcome.

Only a small selection of exhibition layouts are covered. There were at least as many again at the show with many of the larger ones being impossible to photograph because of the crowds around them. Details of each of the layouts shown is in the show guide. I may scan relevant pages and publish them here if there is enough interest shown in information about the background of each of the layouts but this all takes time and the images are there to inspire rather than inform.

If anybody has any questions about what they see please ask here and I will answer if I can.

I took a decision to make the images bigger than normal as there is so much detail and any smaller and detail becomes less defined when they are processed for web publication. This does mean that they can be slow to load when you click on a thumbnail so its a balancing act.

The second point is that they are slightly sharper than normal as this increases the contrast which again helps to define the detail. A softer image is easier on the eye with slightly less definition.

So thats a bit of background. These pictures will bring back memories for those who visited the show.

Enjoy the gallery and we look forward to any feedback and questions.

Happy modelling
Gary

PS Knowing that Doug is a Garratt fanatic there are two Garratts featured. One of the Garratt's was hauling the longest rake of mineral wagons at the show AND on the longest layout.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Gary,

The pictures and the layouts are wonderful! I'll take a closer look later but did you use an on camera flash? I was wondering what difference it would have made if the flash was used off camera and either held to the left or right of the subject to get some side shadow. I was thinking of giving that a try myself maybe dragging my son along so he can hold the flash as my arms are not long enough. Can you recall what fStop, ISO and speed you used?

Thanks for sharing them with us.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
At shows I always use the forced flash and the autofocus settings. This is the only way to get a sharp image given the poor lighting, the lack of tripod, and the crowds. A combination of standard and macro settings were used. I use the (large) monitor to check image quality and in a few cases where items were behind glass several shots of each subject were taken and the best selected. The glass can fool the autofocus.

It is not impossible to use a tripod at the show but it is frowned upon by fellow visitors and those who did upset a lot of people. They are bigger offenders than the rucksack man and those with tripods believe thay have a right to barge right through to the front and take up the space of several visitors.

The image processor (Paint Shop Pro in my case) works miracles with the images bringing up the dark areas and I cannot speak too highly of the software.

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts