Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite the fact that many of us went to the show I thought I would still write my usual review. (you dont have to read it if you dont want to but I thought I would write one anyway!)

I think this was the best warley show yet. There were no major problems as far as I could see.

Transport - Really cant ask for more. The NEC right on the WCML. I went both days once by train and once by car and both days transport was exceptionally good. the trains were extreamly busy and some standing was needed but I really cant complain about being crammed into a train full of very attractive girls on their way to the clothes show! - 10/10

Building - There have been problems the last 2 years with the building. last year especially when the clothes show took over more than their fair share and sent the 18,000 of us by bus. I think many people were less than impressed! no such problems this year. - 10/10

Layouts - as is often the case at these vey large shows the layouts ranged from the stunningly beautifull (Burntisland) to the down right dreadfulll! there was one layout that had no stock running at all due to the electrician being in hospital but the scenic work alone more than made up for the lack of stock. it was inspirational. it won an award (not sure which one) and quite right too. There were also a couple of layouts that I had to question the motive behind their construction (there were alot of straights in the show.) and a couple that were simply ghastly! But thats what you get with a big show like this. The mix of scales was good although I do think there was a rather large ammount of O gauge. Holiday Haunts was there on its last hurragh before going into a museum. and it looked fantastic. all in all a good mix with a couple of let downs. - 8/10
(a little side note here a pet hate of mine is when the operator stands between me and the layout. this is turning into a disturbing trend among exhibition layouts.)

Shirts - virtually no problems here. The cold december has left the troubles of Scaleforum and Woking well and truly a memory. There was only 1 incident the whole weekend. - 9/10 (note I have adjusted the scoring to make 10 good. this is different from my other exhibition reviews)

Backpacks - Oah dear! The Sunday really wasnt so bad but the saturday was terrible. They were flying at me from all directions. The most frustrating thing was that there was a cloakroom right outside the door. why, oah why do they do this? there is really no excuse. I think there were about half the number of people there on the sunday and it was much better but there were still several instances of backpack-in-face treatment. - 2/10

Trade support - Generally very good. I have real concerns about the way this show treats smaller traders. I think its becomming too big for its boots and the smaller traders are feeling the pinch. But this year at least they were out in force. There were a couple of companies that were noticable by their absence (London Road Models to name but one) It will be interesting to see how this developes over the next few years. I think I should note here that the atitude of some of the retailers left a bit to be desired. There was one trader that was winging because people were buying things and he was running out of stock and another that didnt have an item I wanted and blamed me for it! On a personal note the main item I wanted to buy was unavailable which was very frustrating and there was nothing that shouted "buy me" like they have in past years. - 8-10

Bagains - They were there but you had to rummage. Many retialers were not discounting anything and one even complained about the price of exhibiting as a reason for not knocking £2 of the price of a £50 loco! (its a bit sad looking back at it but at the time i found it very amusing!) there wasnt much in the way of second hand stuff but there were bargains to be had on new stock if you shopped around. - 7/10

Overall - As I said earlier I have real concerns about the future of the show but this cant take anything away from the fact that this was one of the best. The sunday was much nicer than the saturday due to a halving of the numbers. There were no incidents that soured the exhibition experience. And I think a good day was had by all. Despite the effort warley make with their kids areas (which is very good) this is really not a family show. Partly because its simply too busy. And on the saturday wheelchair users were having real difficulty. On the Saturday i met up with a few other MRF members and gary on the sunday. We spent a few enjoyable minutes speaking to Simon Kohler and Dennis Lovett. Both were very talkative and almost answered all the questions I put to them. I look forward to next year. - 9/10

Peter

Sorry no pics but I know Garry took some and I am hopeing he will post them. I would be happy to post some pictures if anyone dosent have this facility. just e-mail them to me and I will pop them on here.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Thats a reasonable summary. It did get very busy between 11am and 3pm on Saturday and this is always the case however Warley do broadly keep the trade stands away from the exhibitors and so those who wish to spend money are kept away from those who wish to look at the layouts. There was an exceptionally large stand free catering area which allowed anybody who wished to have a break from the crowds to do so. Pass outs were also available for those who wished to get some fresh air and visitors took advantage of this. Traders for 2007 are already booked and the mix will be very similar so certainly for next year Peter should not have any concerns on this aspect.

Standing on the exit towards the end of the show on Saturday it was very pleasing to receive the compliments that we did get from satisfied visitors. The exhibitors from overseas were very satisfied with the arrangements Warley had made for them and it is always important that our continental friends are well looked after and it has to be said they do always bring exceptional layouts to the show in return for the good hospitality offered.

I will be putting a show report together over the next few days.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 4 Dec 2006, 06:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Trade support - Generally very good. I have real concerns about the way this show treats smaller traders. I think its becomming too big for its boots and the smaller traders are feeling the pinch.

Thanks for the review (was out myself with our trade stand at a small event).

I agree wholeheartidly with you comments regarding the small traders - I have expressed these concerns myself quite a few times on this & other forums (especially regarding lack of return contact from WMRC) to no avail. These comments are convieniantly ignored - is there anyone from WMRC listening ?

Although, we have only been "out & about" for around 3 years many of the larger exhibition managers either ignore us or snootily say "full up for the next few years". Some of these are now comming to us as stand space rent goes up & traders depart.

All I can say is that we are always (to date at least) invited back again so we must be doing something right.

Well that's my Monday morning rant over.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
" Traders for 2007 are already booked and the mix will be very similar so certainly for next year Peter should not have any concerns on this aspect."

Sorry Gary but i do have concerns and they are well founded. The prices are going up another 20% next year. 120 box shifters do not make a good exhibition. but they do make money.

I think it will be ok for about the next 3 or 4 years but after that i think they might have problems attracting the traders that people want to see. I think you are in denial that there is a problem. perhaps because this is not an area that interests you. but i think like sunday we are just going to have to disagree on this. You were trying to tell me how much it costs to exhibit at the NEC and how much it costs to put on a show. i think i have far more experience of this than you do in various capacities (not just model railways).

The large seated area was very nice. but can i request that the tables are spaced slightly further apart next year. the refurbishment of the atrium was also very welcome. and provided some more seating and cheaper food.

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE The prices are going up another 20% next year

Model Rail Forum visitors reading this will go "what!"

Some 2007 ticket prices are not rising at all if you read the show guide which given the cost pressures has to be welcome. There is simply no other place around the Midlands other than the NEC to organise such an event. The research has been done. Really Peter its better to keep the economics of a model railway show event off the board as it can lead to missunderstandings and is not really something of general interest to hobbyists. What is of interest to hobbyists is ticket pricing and you were advocating that they should rise by around 30% to subsidise traders.

Warley has had the same mix of traders since its days at Harry Mitchell and will continue to do so.

Next year will be Warleys 40th show so it may well be extra special.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
The 20% increase is for the traders not the tickets.

"What is of interest to hobbyists is ticket pricing and you were advocating that they should rise by around 30% to subsidise traders"

Thats right
You were adament that nobody would pay more than a tenner to get into the show despite all the other shows on the day haveing ticket prices of at least £20. i think £4 on the price of the tickets is a perfectly valid sugestion. that you seem to have totally dismissed.

I think the price of exhibiting and tickets is a valid subject for debate. (not just for warley)

I didnt take any of the show but here are some of my purchases.

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE Thats right
You were adament that nobody would pay more than a tenner to get into the show despite all the other shows on the day haveing ticket prices of at least £20. i think £4 on the price of the tickets is a perfectly valid sugestion. that you seem to have totally dismissed.

I think the price of exhibiting and tickets is a valid subject for debate. (not just for warley)

A single Warley adult ticket was £9.50 and will remain so in 2007 which is less than the aviation show. Did the aviation show have consession tickets at £6.50? You can get an advance ticket for Warley for a good discount which also gets you in early on both days.

I would agree that model railway show ticket pricing is a valid subject for discussion on a hobby forum.

The Clothes Show is not really a family day out and the Aviation Show is not really a family day out. Visitors to model railway shows generally are a different type of visitor to that who would go to an aviation or clothes show. A large number of ticket sales to model railway shows are consessionary so that in itself tells a story. Pensioners, families, students and the disabled form a large visitor group at Warley and other model railway shows.

Every model railway show has a pricing structure that is all broadly in line with each other relative to the show size. So are model railway shows undercharging for the offer?

Peter. Why don't you start a new topic as this really is not on the theme of the Warley Show.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Every model railway show has a pricing structure that is all broadly in line with each other relative to the show size. So are model railway shows undercharging for the offer?"

No but what i am sugesting is a revoloution in the way these big shows are funded.
I think if £4 was added to the ticket price and a good explanation was given then people would understand.
I dont think the railway show is any more or less of a family day out than the other shows were.

Perhaps if the cost was offloaded from the smaller manufacturers it might give them a boost and they miight produce more products as a result.

I understand about the concession tickets but if people have travelled all that way they are hardly going to quibble about an extra £4 to get into the biggest model railway exhibition of the year. thats the price of 8 packets of crisps. 4 small bottles of 7up. i really dont think £4 is that big a deal even for them.

This is not just a warley problem. i think it applys just as well to ally pally. and some of the other shows up north.

Peter

·
Registered
536 Posts
QUOTE I didnt take any of the show but here are some of my purchases.
Peter. I'm sorry to say I think you have been sold some duds!

None of those shown have any wheels!

Seriously...Are they 00/H0 or 0 gauge bodies?
and can were see a series of photos showing your construction stages please?

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello Brian

No wheels! - he he - made me giggle!

The Czech loco is HO and turbomotive is OO.
I am sure you will bored stupid with construction pictures by the time their finished!
They are long term builds. but if i didnt buy them its sods law that they wont be there next year. (plus i had £120 sitting in my pocket that i hadnt spent on the soldering iron!!)

I missed out on the Nu-cast turbo so this is the next best thing. i also got the comet chassis to go with it. next time i see them i will bet the pony truck and bogie. or i might even get a tender chassis?
Decisions, decisions....

The turbo is going to be fairly easy i think but god knows what i am going to do with the Czech 386. i cant even find a single picture of it! i dont even know what colour its ment to be!

Peter

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thought i would add my tuppence worth to this debate, and up until last saturday morning, i was not sure if i was going to make the 140 mile round trip to WARLEY, but i did go, even though i said, last year was the last time.
What of its good points: The organization of shifting people around was greatly improved on last year, queuing for entrance tickets was a pleasure, as there was banter going on in the crowd, there was an African gentleman (a steward) shouting out something, that nobody appeared to understand? Opinion seemed to think he was talking Swahili. I purchased my ticket and whilst walking towards the entrance, realized i had been given two tickets stuck together, so made a quick return, to hand the other ticket back. There seemed to be a very vibrant atmosphere once you got into the hall. I must congratulate the Warley MRC, on setting up this event, the logistics that go into getting it all right on the day must be huge, this event obviously requires a great deal of planning. I gained some good ideas from layouts, and most people where happy to chat railways.
All that said and done, I will not be returning next year (bet that sends shock waves to the WMRC) lol
WHY?
Parking at £7, seems a bit steep to me (maybe i'm out of touch with reality)
Entrance fee £9.50, so thats £16.50 before i get through the door,
Coffee £1.75 pay first, get ticket, move along counter, get coffee, queue again for milk, find a seat, no chance.
Back packs, always worn by guys 6ft tall, who seem to barge around as if there the only ones there.
Cottage traders, where there less of them there this year? are they being priced out of this show?
To sum it all up
I did enjoy the day, but its coming at an ever increasing price, one that i can no longer justify.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I thought it was pretty busy and this was the Sunday. At around 2pm, it was getting a bit too hectic for me, so we beat a retreat to the canteen area to rest our legs a bit. So I'm glad I didn't try Saturday.

I had browsed the website for a list of trade exhibitors and written up a list of things I thought I might get from the smaller traders. We ignored the larger outfits completely, but they looked busy enough without our attention. Even the stands we visited were busy - Fox transfers, especially so. I managed to get most of the items on my list, so the journey was worth it just for that.

I haven't said anything about the layouts yet. The layouts I watched for the longest periods of time were the ones with something moving and smoke or steam coming from somewhere along the boiler top, so the top of my list are Halston Junction and the Gauge 1 Stanley Junction live steam.

Maybe I have the attention span of a flea, but there were rather too many layouts where nothing seemed to happen for a very long time. At one layout I was suddenly reminded of a road repair job from years ago where there was one guy digging and the rest suffering from "standing and leaning" disease. If something doesn't move within two minutes, I move on. To be honest, I don't think I'm good at model railways as a "spectator sport".

If "money was object" I think I might have left the exhibition with a G-Scale Brawa RhB tender steam loco - it was running on a rolling road at relatively slow speed. The chuffs were synchronized to the piston action and the smoke unit also got a "hit" at the same time; an Accucraft A3 which will run an G Scale track and an Eric Bottomley oil original.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE I didnt take any of the show but here are some of my purchases. Peter, what was that first loco that you bought?
It very strongly resembles the streamlined BR05 but seems to have been stretched vertically. There are a couple of features on the top of the loco that differ but the tender is identical if somewhat stretched.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>My friend bought the 37' Bavaria
And people think DCC is expensive!

David

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 4 Dec 2006, 21:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Peter, what was that first loco that you bought?
It very strongly resembles the streamlined BR05 but seems to have been stretched vertically. There are a couple of features on the top of the loco that differ but the tender is identical if somewhat stretched.

It is a Skoda!! it was built in the Czech republic around 1922 and is a class 386. i like doing things a little bit different and both the shells i got fit the bill perfectly. they only ever built one as a prototype and from what i can tell (not being very good at reading Chech!!) it was not a sucess. but the unstreamlined version (the 387) was far more sucessfiull and several were built and at least one has survived today.

A freind has already found some drawings that have the wheel spacing and the wheel diameter so building the chassis should be much easier now. it shouldnt take me too long to produce the etching artwork.

Its quite a bit smaller than the BR05. i think its rather small for a pacific and i am not looking forward to squeezing 12 wheels under it!

Peter

1 - 20 of 68 Posts