Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 47 Posts

· No Longer Active.
13,704 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 3 Dec 2007, 13:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If a trader cannot come up with a stonking show offer they should not be allowed to appear!

What utter rubbish & a remark guaranteed to provoke conflict ! - does that include internet based secondhand dealers who also attend shows & swapmeets ?

As a small trader that would finally rule us out if, in the extremely unlikely event we were ever invited to attend Warley. Our prices are already competative & to reduce the margin further would almost certainly turn the event into a loss from our POV. Many of our customers come to our stand because we stock many products that other traders don't, they are happy to be able to get them, pay a reasonable price & free advice (even if later, on the phone in the evening - how many box-shifters are on the phone after 18.00hrs ?)

IMHO Warley had been heading towards more of an event to pick up bargains, rather than a model railway show - maybe the reported lack of "bargains" reflect a change of direction (by confidential) agreement between the Manufactures & the organising team ?

· No Longer Active.
13,704 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 4 Dec 2007, 11:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>About show lighting: Generally, the venue only have very basic lighting, high up on the roof. It is up to the stands to provide sufficient lighting for their displays. Some like bright lights, some like subdued lighting or coloured lighting. For all these different needs, the venue can't have it's own lights that spoil the various stands display.

When I used to have a stand at the Port de Versailles in Paris at the Internet show, we erected a lighting scaffold around the stand with bright spots aimed at the key parts of the stand. Generally, the individual stand holder doesn't pay for the electricity so you can use whatever lighting you want.

I beg to differ on this one Doug.

There is no reason (apart from being cheapskate) why venue's cannot provide decent overall lighting (no matter how high or low the ceiling) at a level that illuminates well & does not overawe those stands/exhibitors that require a lower lighting level. This can be achieved easily, if the will is there !

The lighting levels at the Nurberg Fair are just right, but then we are talking about somewhere the NEC could be lost in.

To be fair, don't forget that a lot of exhibitors & smaller traders do not have their own lighting, it adds to the overall costs & is more to erect & take down & pack away again afterwards.

Personally, I just think that there are a number of venues that "could do better" & lighting is just one issue.

· No Longer Active.
13,704 Posts
QUOTE (Ravenser @ 4 Dec 2007, 18:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In terms of ambience I don't much care for the NEC as a venue to start with - a large collection of upspec industrial warehouses around a concourse and courtyards constructed largely out of grubby plastic panels from the 1970s. Anyone who's been through the tattier bits of Heathrow will recognise the feel. But there's nowhere else in the region where such a large show could be held - perhaps nowhere else in the country which could viably stage such a large show, so we and Warley MRC get on with it.

Actually there is at least one alternative, & for the life of me I cannot remember the name of it but it's in the old London Docklands, near Beckton. I've been there a few times for other (non-model) shows & it is nice, light & airy, problem is, of course it's not central to most parts of England & I doubt if WMRC would want to organise & run the show at a venue so far from home.

· No Longer Active.
13,704 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 4 Dec 2007, 21:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You're not thinking of that eXcel place are you? Nigh on impossible to get to from west of London by any means.
David

That's the one - I agree that by road from some directions not easy, but I've always found the car parking & access when you get close far, far better than the NEC.

· No Longer Active.
13,704 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 5 Dec 2007, 09:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Correct me if I am wrong but car parking is more expensive at Excel. And there is only one way in and out. And are you seriously going to ask visitors to suffer the M25 and the M1 to Watford on a Saturday night when London Xmas shoppers and football fans are going home? I've been there, done it, and its a 2 hour crawl!

The last time I went to the Excel Centre the car parking and the catering seemed reasonable. There are always bottlenecks on any "Ring Road" be it the M25 or those hotch potch arrangements round Birmingham or Manchester. I was not suggesting that WMRC decamp to Excel because that would not happen - I was just really pointing out that there are others venues in the country. The only thing going for the NEC is that it is central & it does have a mainline station & a regional airport.

1 - 7 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.