Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
9,942 Posts
I've had a quick look through "Private owner Freight Wagons on British Railways" by David Larkin, and found photos of 2 similar tank wagons associated with sugar companies - "United Molasses", "British Sugar". There are 3 if "Manchester Refineries" is(was) a sugar company and not an oil company.

The United Molasses tank bears a single white six pointed star which may signify something. The British Sugar tank is remarkable for being clean which suggests that it may carry foodstuffs.

David

·
Administrator
9,942 Posts
>rather like treacle, I believe
I believe there is a north American idiom along the lines of "moves slower than molasses on a winter's day". I can certainly vouch for treacle thickening up in the cold. We had a physics lab at 9am and the task for one cold winter's morning was measure how fast a variety of differently sized ball bearings took to sink through a couple of litres* of the stuff. The second run at 10am showed a rather large speed increase which we put down to increased room temperature.

David

*How do you get the spell checker to use English rather than US spelling?

·
Administrator
9,942 Posts
>If you use Firefox, with version 2.0 you can install an extension
Ok, this is Firefox and it's version 2.0, can you point me at the extension please?

Thanks in advance
David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts