Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its clear that a number of us went to the Warley Show and I do have a large number of pictures to process and publish as well as one or two other items to sort out that should be of interest.

I thought the prices on the Bachmann stand were more expensive than in previous years and even late on Sunday there was stuff that they could not give away. So I passed.

Fleischmann had a big sign up saying no photography which seemed a bit odd.

There did not seem to be the really good bargains that there had been in previous years although I did spot a Live Steam A4 going for £199 and a Bachmann Train Set going for £29. There were Hornby Class 08's going for £40 on one stand. The real bargain I thought was a Roco loco going for £40 as a clearance and lots of Roco army wagons going for less than half price. But not my sort of thing.

My star buy was a Lima Banana for £20. Saw one for sale for £70 elsewhere in the show. Picked up a very nice kit built brass streamlined Coronation for very little money. Just the sort of thing I like. Hand built craftsmanship. And a few other bits and pieces.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
267 Posts
Enjoyed it here and my day was complete when winning one of the Virgin HEA hoppers in the draw at 5pm (Another truck for that 06 in Virgin livery) ... Just need to track down the ones from previous years now.

Picked up the Bachmann 57's up there ... still havn't looked at them yet due to university work being much more important at the moment.

Nice selection of layouts for everyone to enjoy (Loved the Abbey Road here). The Hornby stand was packed most of the day, along with the Bachmann one as well, but got my photos first thing which was a good decision. I was a bit mistified with the Fleischmann layout as well about the no photography - Might be because the flash would reflect of the snow, or it would blind the people monitering it.

Only downside was that there was only 1 version of the Hornby 60 on display and only 4 seacows throughout the whole Hornby stand - Shame i was hoping to see all the 60's with at least 1 running.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yup it was the winter wonderland layout they had this year. I remember seeing that layout in one of there catalouges a while ago before the snow effect was added (Might have just been cotton wool with some gillter on top)

·
Registered
352 Posts
I found the whole show very enjoyable, but i can foresee problems for its future. Entrance at the door was £9.00 per person. I think thats the most expensive entrance fee i have paid anywhere, parking £7.00 per car, it seems to increase by £1 every year? But what worries me most, is how much the exhibitors are paying for their stands to be there, I noticed one exhibitor who had a notice saying " that due to increased costs, he will no longer be attending this show" i wonder how many other smaller traders are in that position, will it only be left with the big boys? If smaller traders do start to drop out, it will take the heart of this exellent show away, but as financial considerations are important to all of us, its some thing that the organizers must keep an eye on.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The signs advertising next years show mention that the adult ticket for next year is going to be £9.50 on the door and £8 if you buy in advance.

Did anyone else see the Hornby Pile-up on their layout as well? lol was amusing watching the action unfold as everyone knew what was going to happen to that 31 that had uncoupled from its train ...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi,

I really enjoyed the show, even if it was expensive to get in. I saw the Fleischmann layout but wasn't that impressed with the snow - it did look like cotton wool and glitter. I thought it was good to see some of the ones featured in Model Rail like the etched brass pub and Divorce Lane.

A quick question: Does anyone know how much it is to exibit?

George

P.S. Did anyone warn the man in the bottom right of the picture about yellow snow?

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE P.S. Did anyone warn the man in the bottom right of the picture about yellow snow?

I have had a second look and I see what you mean!

To continue.

Normally you exhibit by invitation and your costs are covered. You exhibit for the enjoyment of exhibiting and not for money.

Its the traders that have to pay for space.

If you have a portable layout that you consider is good enough to join the exhibition circuit then a good start is to get coverage in Railway Modeller. They will send their team around to create an editorial around your layout.

Then you need to check an exhibition calender and contact the organisers.

Look at this:-

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/layouts/eLay...1.php?ScaleID=3

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts