Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Wow! Hold it a mow! It was not me taking the video! I don't want to get into trouble!

Warley could argue that the owner of those videos has made them available to the public without seeking the permission of the layout owners and their publication is not authorised. It should be remembered by all that video taken at any exhibition of anothers property is for personal use only unless you have the express permission of the owner of the property being filmed to publish for public viewing.

A bit naughty when you think about it. The quality of the video may poorly reflect the layouts being filmed and even the exhibition which can impact on their exhibition bookings and future exhibition attendances.

How would you feel if you had invested 1000's of hours in an exhibit and your ability to get bookings and exhibit was influenced on some shaky video?

I'm not being a party pooper buts its worth making the point.

The only people as far as I am aware that were authorised to make a video of the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition was Mark Found of The Railway Channel and certain public broadcasters who were present. At all times Mark asked permission of exhibitors if it was OK to film for public consumption.

Anything published without permission is bootleg and risks being removed if objections are raised.

Unless you have a press pass the advice has to be to seek permission at all times if you intend publishing anything taken at a public event.

In saying all this there is no doubt in my mind that the owner of the video published on TouTube has nothing but good intentions.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
oah i see. sorry i didnt realise you wernt the "author"!

Actually i checked this with someone and i am pretty certain that you cant get into trouble.

You only get into trouble if you try and sell the tape or try and sell replicas of the layout.

But i always ask permission of the layout owners before posting pics of their layouts on here. (sometimes they are very helpfull and go to great lengths to position the stock for the perfect picture!)

I dont think anyone would take a shakey video as an advert for the layout. if you were filming the punchups over the graded bachmann stuff then fair enough. i actually think i would be very flattered that someone would want to go to all the trouble of taking a video of my layout. no matter how shakey.

"The only people as far as I am aware that were authorised to make a video of the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition was Mark Found of The Railway Channel and certain public broadcasters who were present." no he would be the only person authorised to SELL video of the warley.....
You dont need permission to make video. its the same at any event. some people get snotty about it but they tend to either be employed in H&S or are on more than 1 comittiee!

its a very shakey law. more honered in the breach than in the observer.

In defence of the "author" i have seen footage from a well known model rail video publishers that was far worse. and they had the nerve to charge me £15 for it! that was the last railway video i bought. i will never get another.

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE if you were filming the punchups over the graded bachmann stuff then fair enough

Did anybody film that?

It would be just about the best advert for Bachmann ever if they could show video of modellers fighting over their products!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Good videos.

Interesting to see how the locos are operated. Quite abruptly in most cases. Not much inertia in their movement so we can assume that it's probably mostly DC.

Has anyone seen a British layout modelled in the Autumn or the Winter? Do you get layouts with any other backdrop than blue sky and fluffy clouds?

The lighting could have been a bit better on some layouts.

Most layouts are modelled to a fantastic level of detail. Great to watch. Pity that YouTube drops the video quality so much.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
hello doug. i asked many why they were operating DC and several layouts commented that their layout allows for both but they only ever use DC at exhibitions because it makes fault finding easier and was more reliable.

you cant see a problem with DCC on a multimeter with the exhibition opening in 5 mins!

Peter

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
There are several layouts about that feature a winter setting. Two have appeared in Railway Modeller in the last couple of years. The other I know of is owned by someone at a local MR club and is a 'Thomas' based layout. One section of this has been done as a 'Winter Scene' to contrast with the rest of the layout. (Recall the story where Thomas gets stuck in a snowdrift? - It's closely based on that.)
Regards,
John Webb
(PS I suspect we model the sunny periods because it's those we remember most! And having done some good modelling we don't want to then cover it up with a layer of snow - mind you it's one way of covering up track with the wrong sleeper spacing, of course.)

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Particularly for Doug, a bit more info on layouts with 'Winter' settings.
(1) Hudson Road - first mentioned in Railway Modeller Nov 2003 and I think covered in more detail during 2004. Set in NE England around 1915-1920. 4mm model?
(2) Carlton Metals - shunting layout in 00 4mm scale. RM July 2003.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
15 Posts
Whilst on the subject, whatever happened to some people's manners...? You pay the entrance fee to walk around the show and watch the layouts, not try to pick things up off them or have a general prod and poke at the exhibitors hard work. I really don't mind letting anyone take photos or even letting suitably interested parties operate, but having a powerful flash go off whilst leaning over the layout to uncouple or someone testing if road vehicles are glued down just isn't on.

If someone is to ask if they can take photos it's a good starting point for a conversation anf they may pick up some information that just can't be got from a few token snaps. I don't know what the answer is, no point in printing a page at the start of the exhibition guide to ask punters to seek permission or not to touch anything because not many read the guide until they get home, and although some layout builders use "Dont touch" signs, I've heard one vandal use the excuse "there wasn't a sign on THIS layout so I thought it would be OK to fiddle with it"....

I remember Pendon never allowing photos to be taken of their work because it may appear sub-standard, now i'm in full agreement with the post above, having "the video camera" effect take place on a layout and the subsequent footage appearing on the internet isn't doing anything to promote tha hard work of a few people or the hobby in general.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
29B i would agree with you if the pictures were to promote a layout. but i tend to take pictures to give me inspiration or of a particular idea where it really dosent matter about the quality.
i agree its not very flatering on the layout but exactly the same could be said of people. should we have laws saying celebs have to authorise evry single picture?
I suppose its all about whats fit for purpous.

I tend to find that the people who wont allow pictures are the sort of people who i wouldnt want to ask anyway.
Asking permission tends to open doors not close them.

on a slightly seperate note i was at Acton for an opening day lasy year and i was very amused when the bus photographers actually stopped talking to anyone and instead of waiting patiently for their picture started flapping their hands at people like some sort of epileptic Darlek!

manners indeed!

Peter

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I will always try to ask before I take a photo of a layout at an exhibition. Sometimes the operators appear to be having a problem and I am always reluctant to interrupt in such cases. Most of my photos are either of specific areas which have given me ideas for my own layout or a general view to remind me of the layout as a whole.

Regarding 'No touching' signs, one I have seen on a number of occasions reads along the lines of:
"This took many hours to build but the wrong touch can damage in seconds, please do not touch"
Regards,
John Webb

1 - 15 of 15 Posts