Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well someone had to start the ball rolling.

Its the big one again. my tickets arrrived yesterday and i have been working on my shopping list for some time now.

Resistance soldering set from Dean Sidings (i have used one a few times and i think its time to finally get my own)
Russin bodyshells in resin. (i can never remember who makes them but i love them and its time to spend the money.)
Paint thinners. (i always need more paint thinners)
Mabye the odd kit or 2.

Above all i just want to have a great couple of days.

I will be on my own on the saturday but my father will be joining me on the sunday.
If you spot me do say hello i am usually quite freindly.

My tips for the show are to get there early and bring your own lunch. wear good shoes and standing on the concrete floor can be tough after a while. sharpen your elbows. they can be a very usefull wepon!

Peter

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well I will be there Friday afternoon, Saturday & Sunday as one of the companys I work for has a trade stand there J27 so busy busy but it will still be a good weekend?.

I want to get some kits and maybe some carraige kits, I dont know what yet I will know when I see them and to get some supplies.

Pete

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 16 Nov 2006, 07:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A company i have connectios with had a look at going but it was going to be over a grand for the stand plus the hotel fees and transport. it was just crazy.

Peter

We have been unable to even get the coutesy of a reply from the organisers to our enquiries - phone, e-mail, fax or snailmail........

best regards
Brian

·
Registered
461 Posts
well if you contacted the NEC direct that's no surprise but if you contacted the WMRC then that's very out of character.

Yes the trade stand prices are very high but if you remember when the hornby class 50 came out all of the trade stands that had them ran out within three hours and hornby had to bring more up on the saturday night ready for the sunday.

So alot of money can be made.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'll be there probably all day on saturday with a fair amount of money with me as i have lots of Hornby / Bachmann bits to buy.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Yes the trade stand prices are very high but if you remember when the hornby class 50 came out all of the trade stands that had them ran out within three hours and hornby had to bring more up on the saturday night ready for the sunday."

Thats all very well if you are a box shifter. but whats the point of a show that has more than about 3 of them?

The beauty of the big shows is the diversity of whats on display.

The money should be made from the tickets not the exibitors.

Peter

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Peter_Harvey @ 16 Nov 2006, 07:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>well if you contacted the NEC direct that's no surprise but if you contacted the WMRC then that's very out of character.

Actually I tried to communicate directly with WMRC !

As an aside we tried 3 years ago to attend a couple of well known largish SE exhibitions & were stuffily told "were full up & so is our reserve list, so no chance". Attendance numbers seem to have been steadily falling with the resultant amount of trade support & guess what ? now there' interested in us!

best regards
Brian

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 16 Nov 2006, 08:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I must get myself a large dirty Rucksack, and steel toe capped boots to be ready for this years show.

Don't forget to black out a couple of teeth, eat some strong smelling food & apply some more grease and/or foodstains to the anorak until it can stand up on it's own.

Have a good trip.

best regards
Brian

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have attended this show for some years now, and last year i vowed to myself not to attend again, WHY; its become very expensive to park, and to get into the show, plus travelling costs, thats before you even think about buying a sandwich? One small retailer had a sign on his stall saying "wont be here next year, too expensive" (or words to that effect) and I can understand where he was coming from, I would,nt mind betting that there are far fewer cottage industrys there this year than last year, ( i hope i'm wrong) and that this show will gradually be taken over by the big boys of the model railway world, which would be a real shame.
But after saying all that, i will probably still go this year, and give it another chance, to prove to myself it still is worth all the effort and cost
Maybe write a small report on my return, and compare with others

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think Warley should extend the show by one more day and make it exclusive to the over 60's.

If that were the case, there would probably plenty of floor space on all the other days

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE Has anybody else noticed that if any critisism is directed toward WMRC the silence from them is deafening ?

A representative of Warley MRC posted feedback last year on Pat Hammonds MREmag in reply to criticism of last years show. And all the criticism then was linked with show access and not the show itself.

This year the show is back in its old home of Hall 1 which is next to the train station and miles away from The Clothes Show.

In excess of 150 Warley MRC volunteers will make sure that Warley 2006 is the best show ever!

I can't wait!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 22 Nov 2006, 20:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A representative of Warley MRC posted feedback last year on Pat Hammonds MREmag in reply to criticism of last years show. And all the criticism then was linked with show access and not the show itself.

This year the show is back in its old home of Hall 1 which is next to the train station and miles away from The Clothes Show.

In excess of 150 Warley MRC volunteers will make sure that Warley 2006 is the best show ever!

I can't wait!

Happy modelling
Gary

Maybe so - but still silence on the issues I have brought up !

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
"A representative of Warley MRC posted feedback last year on Pat Hammonds MREmag in reply to criticism of last years show. And all the criticism then was linked with show access and not the show itself."

I completly missed all the fuss with the transport. i only found out that there had been issues when i read mremag a couple of days later!
Just lucky i guess.

I suspect that right now the warley volunteers have better things to be doing than looking through internet forums.

Peter

·
Registered
461 Posts
I think that this year may be a good year for the visitor to the Warley show but it may be the last that we see the small cottage company's and traders there as apparently the NEC have said that there charges for trade space will be increased by 20% next year so other than the traders with very fat wallets, most of the small company's that specialize in accessories and detailing items wont be able to break even at the show I think the WMRC should look for another venue the ICC Birmingham, Ricoh Arena Coventry they should start looking before there reputation is damaged beyond repair.
Pete

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I totally agree.

This is not the first time this situation has arisen. several shows in the past have had their time in the limelight and have put up there charges.... traders stop going....show dies down.

The company i have connections with did some maths and it was going to cost about £1500 for a 2 day show. its just crazy. when woking and scaleforum are in the region of £100-200.

Its not just the cost of the stand. electricity is extra! and you HAVE to buy your food at the NEC cafe. you are not allowed to take your own food!! that to mee is a bloddy cheek! (of course its perfectly ok as long as you dont get cought. it would be interesting to see what happens if you do get cought.!)

I will be looking out for the "we are not comming next year" signs.

I know the NEC is expensive but with 18,000 visitors through the door why cant they make enough money from them so they dont have to squeeze the traders.

Peter

1 - 20 of 66 Posts