Model Railway Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Coming into this quite late as I have only just joined the Forum.

I cannot see that anyone has actually given a reason for the demonstrators having to clear away earlier. I was told that the demonstrators area was cleared first before the show closed as it was just rows of tables and chairs that could be got out of the way quickly to free up some space. At the close of the show this would then enable the Warley Crew to use that space for stacking more tables etc as other stands were dismantled and also allow space to get vehicles into the hall.

On another point, I think you will find that with every two day show the Sunday is always quieter

Mike

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Hi Mike & welcome to the forum,

That would make a lot of sense & thanks for posting the information. I would have thought that other members, who contributed earlier to the thread & have connections with WMRC would have known that & told us beforehand, if , of course the information is correct.

·
Registered
136 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 26 Nov 2007, 12:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There was one on resin casting that i wanted to see. but like most of the others, he had stopped by 4. he was actually one of the few to stay with their stand and i was able to talk with him, but many of the others had packed away buy then or had gone AWOL.

You must mean Phil Traxson of Port Wynnstay Models as I was there with him just to mind the stock at lunch time but finished up answering questions all day both days while he did the clever stuff like mix it and pour it! As he had a lot of gear with him we couldn't leave until he got his car into the hall to load up but those who just had a tool box could go at 4.00pm

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Hello Mike

The name Phil Wynnstay rings a bell so it think it must have been him. I have made just about evry mistake in the book with resin casting! i was trying to cast bodyshells for lima Mk3's because at the time they wernt available. i think it was a bit silly of me to jump in at the deep end with such a big item. i may post some pictures at some point.

Guys have a great time over the weekend. if you are there on a stand or just as a visitor, i hope you all enjoy yourselves. The warly show does have its problems but i dont think anyone can say that the show dosent have a buzz to it that we rarly get in our hobby in the UK.

Do try and make it to the MRF meet up (TRANKILL 2:30). Even if you dont want to go around the hall with us, try and turn up to say hello and help us to get a good group photo.

Peter

·
Registered
136 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 30 Nov 2007, 06:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello Mike

The name Phil Wynnstay rings a bell so it think it must have been him.

Peter

You almost got it right - but his name is Phil Traxson and the business is Port Wynnstay!

For those who don't know what we are talking about, Phil manufactures a complete range of 7mm Narrow Gauge stock as well as other items suitable for O gauge. Details are available on the EDM Models web site. See http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Port_Wynnstay/portwynnstay.htm

Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've just read though this thread, as I'm planning on going tomorrow (Saturday) as I can't make it on Sunday. However, all these posts about long queues to get in and scrums inside has me a bit worried! Can someone please put my mind at rest?

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Yep, its a great day out. You'll not regret it. Yes its busy, but theres a very good reason why it is, its the best of its kind.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Hi digaldave

I was at the Warley show set up today. There is definitely more walkway width than in previous shows and if you need to find some space there will be plenty of opportunity. Exhibition barrier length is up by 25% on last years show so that has to tell you something.

There will be queueing for tickets of this there is no doubt. The advice here is to pay cash rather than with a debit card as the cash queue is quicker. Once you have a ticket then you will move forward into the show very quickly once the initial surge when it opens has moved through the doors. You can always purchase a show programme to read whilst waiting to move into the show itself so you can plan what you want to see. If you want to avoid a ticket queue then the advice is to visit the show after about 12:30pm. You can of course chat with fellow modellers in the queue as they are all very friendly!

Visitors this year will notice something completely different when waiting to enter the show itself. The foyer is massive as the show is a show within a hall rather than being the hall. Hall 5 is the biggest hall at the NEC and even Warley could not fill it!

My only reservation is that when chatting with Hornby I pointed out that their stand seemed smaller this year. Hornby said it was the same size however there was more on it for show visitors to see! If you want to avoid a crush IMHO avoid the Hornby stand!

The show is the biggest ever model railway show in the UK and it does also attract the biggest crowds. This is only natural though and visitors do return year after year and after each show the feedback broadly is that the show was even better than the previous show attended!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
27 Posts
Gary,

Thanks for the reply, specifically the bits about the cash queue and getting in after 12:30. I doubt I'll be there much before mid day anyway, so I may get lucky. If it's really busy when I get there, I'll just go to the motorcycle show first rather than the other way around
. Speaking of the bike show, do you have any idea how close it is to the Warley hall? It'd be great if it was next door, but I know that the NEC can be a bit spread out...

Dave.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE Speaking of the bike show, do you have any idea how close it is to the Warley hall? It'd be great if it was next door, but I know that the NEC can be a bit spread out...

Right next door in Hall 4! You can smell the leather!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Its more a case of being honest rather than funny!

The Hornby stand will be rammed! If folk enjoy being crushed then by all means visit the Hornby stand!

I guess it depends on who you are being crushed between!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Administrator
9,994 Posts
QUOTE Gary ...IMHO avoid the Hornby... !
Whoever thought Gary would say that? There should be a law against taking quotes out of context

David

·
Administrator
9,994 Posts
We arrived at the entrance to Hall 5 at about 12:45. We did pass some people carrying away Parkside Dundas bags on our walk to the hall!? We had advance tickets but there didn't appear to be much of a queue for pay on the day in any case. We left just before 6pm and had walked by all of the stands and seen everything we wanted to see. There was no crush any where and the crowd definitely seemed to thin out from about 3pm onwards. We had no problem picking and choosing an "Eddie the Engine" late in the afternoon (it's not for me) before setting off for the SWD stand to get some sound for it.

It was a most enjoyable day out. The five or so hours were just about enough. The wider aisles were a definite improvement on last year and we were there on the Sunday.

Full marks to all concerned

David

61 - 79 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.