Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a suitable material/substance for reproducing a water scene. I am building a dock scene with a small river inlet which I would like to have the water showing slight ripples on.

Many thanks in advance
Andy

·
Registered
90 Posts
I used ordinary glazing putty to get a gently undulating surface for the water on Port Abel. Once it had set I painted it in an uneven blue/green mix with yellow/cream faded in where the slipway runs into the water. The painted surface then had several layers of varnish applied. It is quite amusing at exhibitions to watch children (and some adults) prod it with their fingers to see if it is wet.

By way of a contrast the muddy water on Earles Quay is wet. It's cold milky tea or coffee and needs to be poured away before the layout is transported!

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts

I used epoxy resin. As my scene is in a sheltered harbour at low tide I haven't put any waves in it but to do this you need to wait until the resin is close to setting and manipulate it with a hair dryer. This takes a bit of time as you need to keep this up until it sets the way you want it. Make sure the air is cold!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks, both great ideas and impressive results, I should have thought of resin and I have some left over from repairing my boat in october an excellent way of using it up.

I will do a test piece on both methods and see which I work better.

Once again many thanks

Andy

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Three very different types of water all looking great (& three very different ways of reproducing it).

Thanks for excellent pics Neil & Bob (BTW - how many sugers ?)

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Excellent examples in the pictures, I used ordinary polyurethane over a very dark painted surface for my canal and I was pleased with the results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.