Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
After looking at some layout pictures in another part of the forum been thinking about rusting the lines up leaving the top of the rail clean but how much would this affect performance of the locos and their pick up from the cab, there is potential of the wheels getting dirty and leading to failure over time surely, has anyone solved this contact issue and coloured the rails convincingly.

If so how please.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I've done this and there doesn't seem to be any problem. Just make sure you wipe the top of the rails immediately after painting and check them again when dry!

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Edwin @ 21 Sep 2008, 22:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've done this and there doesn't seem to be any problem. Just make sure you wipe the top of the rails immediately after painting and check them again when dry!

I can only echo Edwin's comments - as long as paint is kept off the contact area there should be no problems.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 22 Sep 2008, 11:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I can only echo Edwin's comments - as long as paint is kept off the contact area there should be no problems.

***As has been said.... go for it. Spraying is better than brush painting though.... I actually spray the whole of the track with gray undercoat then wash stains over both rail and sleepers.... spray+ wash means thin paint, and you should try to avoid thickness here.

Its the inner top and the inside top face of the rail that should be kept cleanest... look closely at the prototype - our model rails contact the rail similarly. If thats done, then no problem at all.

Richard

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great news more realism to the layout ... i have used washes /powders before in my military modelling time consuming but theraputic

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have to agree with Richard on the contact area - keep the inner rail head clean as well and there should be no problems; much of the pick up is from the wheel treads and the root of the flange.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (upnick @ 22 Sep 2008, 16:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great news more realism to the layout ... i have used washes /powders before in my military modelling time consuming but theraputic

Some lovely modeling work there Nick - Super painting & weathering!

Of course if you feel like making up a dozen or so pre-WW2 british tanks, field guns and trucks in scale for my 1930's layout, to that excellent standard, be my guest

They are very nicely done indeed!

Richard

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
isnt there a paint available to paint and weather tracks that doesnt need to be removed from the track top as its conductive. I remember seeing it advertised a few years ago. there were about 4 different rust colours and the advert proclaimed thatyou could have dirty track without having to clean the centre off.......................... cant find it now though...

Nikki

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Madkitten @ 22 Sep 2008, 17:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>isnt there a paint available to paint and weather tracks that doesnt need to be removed from the track top as its conductive. I remember seeing it advertised a few years ago. there were about 4 different rust colours and the advert proclaimed thatyou could have dirty track without having to clean the centre off.......................... cant find it now though...

Nikki

**Such a thing may have been claimed Nikki, but its never existed - any painted on finish will compromise pickup. If it did of course, it'd not be realistic anyway!

Richard

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
''Of course if you feel like making up a dozen or so pre-WW2 british tanks, field guns and trucks in scale for my 1930's layout, to that excellent standard, be my guest '' rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

Richard

The Military models are 1/35 scale so i dont think they would fit in unless you model gauge 1 ?

I never did 1/72 sorry and all that
but gave up competition scale modelling and sold up for my railway
though i have some in the cabinet to remind me

Find DCC and something that actually moves a challenge and more interesting

1 - 10 of 10 Posts