Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 15 Aug 2008, 22:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There's some bizarre stuff in there!

I think bizarre could be an understatement. I wonder if Madkitten could be persuaded to model any? - Apart from the well known Irish one she is already having a go at!

David Y

·
In depth idiot
7,683 Posts
One of my 'one day' projects is the Paget locomotive. The interest with this is what might have been if it had been successfully developed. Imagine a Midland Railway entering the LMS group with a successful high power mixed traffic design in service, and quite possibly with heavy freight and express passenger developments also in service. ~ ~ "In 1934 Derby unveiled the streamlined mechanically fired Paget 4-8-4, and after running in trials it was duly demonstrated to the Press on its' service schedule, sustaining a 4,000 horsepower output on an 80mph average speed ascent of Shap, during the 5 hour Euston -Crewe - Carlisle - Glasgow run."

·
Registered
303 Posts
In the days of horse drawn waggon-ways it was not unusual to see wooden railway lines laid before wrought iron rails were introduced. Naturally iron was very expensive and in short supply and so lightly used horse drawn lines continued to be laid using wooden rails.

With the introduction of steam traction, most railway promoters recognised that iron rails were essential, but there were proposals to lay wooden railway lines in Britain because wood was so much cheaper and readily available. The promoter was William Prosser. He built a demonstration railway on Wimbledon Common which was reported in the Illustrated London News in 1845.
See: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/...1&s=kitchen
The wheels were flangeless and rode on the top of hardwood timbers, guidance being supplied by flanged wheels in front and behind each vehicle set at 45 degrees to the vertical. The system did work and was patented.

Subsequently Mr Prosser managed to sign up the proposed Guilford and Woking Railway to be built to this system and a lithograph was circulated showing the proposed system. Science and Society publish a copy of this document:
http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results...&imagepos=5

When the LSWR took over the proposed Guilford and Woking Railway before it was built, they had to pay Mr Prosser the then huge sum of £20,000 as compensation for cancelling his contract and the Guilford Junction Railway as it became known was laid with steel rails. I have found two more instances in Europe where Mr Prosser succeeded in persuading promoters to opt for his system because it was so much cheaper than iron or steel. At that time proper engineers were few and far between, and financiers who were principly interested in profit could easily be duped it seems. In each case Mr Prosser did receive compensation when the contracts were cancelled.

What exactly happened after that is not clear, but Mr Prosser went on to promote some shaky mining enterprises in Wales with a certain Mr Davies. There are references to schemes for wooden railways in the USA but no hard evidence, until a scheme was proposed and taken up for a wooden railway in New Zealand in 1863. The Oreti Railway was built and three steam locomotives were supplied from Ballarat in Australia running with patent guide wheels.
The first one, Lady Barkly, was suppled by a Mr J R Davies and built by Hunt and Opie: http://www.trainweb.org/loggingz/hunt.html. Subsequently two larger ones were built by the Soho Foundry: http://www.trainweb.org/loggingz/soho.html
Within three years they destroyed the wooden track that they were built to operate on, which is not very surprising. The failure of the railway bankrupted the Council of the Province of Southlands which had invested £100,000 in the venture. The Oreti Railway was rebuilt with steel rails and the Kingston Flyer runs on the preserved section near Lake Wakitipu.

A non-working replica of the Lady Barkly locomotive is on display at Bluff near Invercargill.

Now that really was a weird idea.

Colombo

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
well some weird and wonderful stuff on that site - mind you it did remind me that I had forgotten possibly the two most important engineers of Belgian railway history.

Regards

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE I'll defy anyone to find one more weird than this!!

Model railways seems rather ordinary after that

David

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For one of his other projects he's built a steam powered R2D2 known as R2S2 (R2 Steam Too). All the steam bits are from Mamod parts from what I can see.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A live steam train that thinks it's a hamster! Whatever next??

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 28 Aug 2008, 09:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>some people have to much time on their hands!

I was thinking that but refrained...............

However, maybe I can add ;

some people have way too much time on their hands!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
and a warped sense of humour!

Regards

1 - 14 of 14 Posts