Model Railway Forum banner
41 - 60 of 691 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
QUOTE (10001 @ 25 Oct 2008, 09:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Britho and Brian . Dover eh , must be the white cliffs!!

If Britho would like some Southern scenes, these are specially for him.

Hi Tony

We actually live a few miles from the White Cliffs but within easy access!

Thanks for the photos, I have no need for an M7 (although they are attractive) and am still looking for a mogul in BR black at the right price.....

Regards

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Hi , I must apologise to anyone looking in to this thread over the last week and seeing no pictures.
This was because we inadvertantly removed the pictures from my Photobucket site, and did not notice that that also took them off here.!!!

Anyway they are all back again now and I hope you enjoy them.
Tony .

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Well, here they are again. Rodney and Charles, the good citizens of Greenslade. They are once again being true patriots and flying the flag again, in recognition of the wonderful effort of the young English racing driver, Lewis Hamilton.
Very well done.

Regards Tony CME Goon Valley Railway

·
Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Lewis who?

Regards

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 3 Nov 2008, 17:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lewis who?

Regards

Hi BRITHO , I mean the other Lewis. Not Morse's off-sider;
This one is younger, good looking, and has a better tan.

Regards Tony

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
HI DOUG.
Hey! Look at this . Whats going on here . At the left hand side of this post there is a little icon . On my post it is coloured red which when clicked on to says " no new posts', even when I have just posted.This occurs some time after posting and even after being off the line for some time.And I have noticed this has been so for some time. Why has mine been singled out to have a red icon when others posted just 2 minutes before or after are not treated so . Is this a ploy by you , the administrators to get members to ignore my posts? It seems to me that this is might be so .
Any one looking in to "new posts " would immediately be put off from looking in any further on this thread.
If for any reason you would prefer me not to make any more posts, would it not be more appropriate to say so directly, or least send a personal message??

Tony .

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
Hi Tony,

Not sure what your problem is as I just received a notice to say this topic had a new post which turned out to be yours. I presume anyone else who has contributed to this topic will have received the same notice. On that basis, as far as I can tell, noone is ignoring your posts.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
QUOTE (10001 @ 4 Nov 2008, 12:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi
I'm not so sure . every time I log into " view new posts" , my latest post has the dreaded red icon saying "no new posts"
Yours in doubt , Tony

And I had to go through "" flood control"" to post that . But there didnot seem to be very many members logged in

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
QUOTE (10001 @ 4 Nov 2008, 15:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And I had to go through "" flood control"" to post that . But there didnot seem to be very many members logged in

That's weird. I just went to "view new posts" and there were 11 new posts to look at. I think you need help from someone with administrative rights. Suggest you PM one of the Regional Controllers with your problem.

Regards,

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
Relax with the conspiracy theories hey
I get the same red icon on my posts when I have just posted as I guess the forum kind of thinks that you would be aware of your own posts perhaps but shows your post as new to everyone else.

I reckon if administrators didn't want anyone around they would do a far more comprehensive job of it than a coloured icon though....

Nice thread by the way - first time I have seen it and the shots of the progress are most encouraging.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·

Just a repeat of this picture posted elsewhere.These locos have been on my workbench during the past few days for their annual run on my trainset and a bit of maintenance. The Santa Special name board was poached from somewhere else!!!

Ex LNWR 4-6-0 Prince of Wales class No 25673 Lusitania stands at Eccles Junction platform 3 in front of the newly built station buildings I have been making over the last couple of months, all scratch-built from cardboard,masking tape, quick-stick labels and clear plastic packaging- all except the further building which is modified from a Prototype card kit and on which the others were based . The loco was built as Clive guessed from a Gem kit . When made it ran on a Tri-ang B12 chassis but this has recently been replaced with a Hornby China made B12 chassis with which the loco runs very well . It is capable of hauling 8- coach trains up my inclines with no problems.

Ex LNWR 4-4-0 George V class No 25297 Sirocco reverses down the through line. Also built from a Gem kit this is powered by a Tri-ang L1 chassis with XO4 motor and Romford driving wheels. The loco on its own seesaws on its rear drivers but I have used the tender weight to keep the rear down by resting it on the tender-loco coupling pin . This works ok as this loco is also able to haul 8-coach trains. Both locos were made some time ago and come out regularly for their outings.
Best wishes Tony ( CME GOON VALLEY RAILWAY )

·
Registered
358 Posts
Tim,

many thanks for this thread, excellent photos, please keep us updated. I particularly like the final 3 of the ex LNWR engines and was particularly interested to hear about the chassis for the Prince of Wales. I've admired these locos for a long time so I might well take the plunge and try and get a kit and a B12 chassis and give it a go! Once again this excellent forum has given me some more inspiration!

I also like your station buildings, well done for some superb modelling; sorry I hadn't found your thread before (thanks for the link from your Xmas photos), but I only joined in October, so still finding my way around.

Keep up the good modelling,

regards,

Clive

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Hi , I must have been dreaming when I made post 54 when I said that Sirocco was a George V class. She was of in fact a member of the Precursor class, very similar in looks and performance, the main difference being the splashers over the driving wheels.The George V ones were straight and similar to the POW. Precursors were round as in the picture. When I was spotting trains in the late 40s there were still a few of these great ex LNWR locos extant. The 4-4-0s were allocated to Chester , Bangor or Llandudno far out of range of my area and I never saw any. The Prince of Wales class were shedded much closer , about 1/2 each at Stafford and Bletchley. Lusitania was a Stafford engine and I saw her at Birmingham on a local passenger train in 1946. I saw 4 of the Bletchley engines during 1946 /7 including No 25845 which was built by the LMS in 1924 with inside cylinders but with outside Walschaert's valve gear. This ungainly arrangement gave rise to the nickname "Tishy" -after a racehorse which looked as though it ran with crossed legs .

I realise that this sort of information bores the pants off a lot of forum members but I hope someone will find it of interest

Regards Tony

·
Just another modeller
9,967 Posts
***Merry Christmas Tony... and yes, some do like the anecdotes which all go to build the background awareness of the prototype and hopefully just by being at the back of the mind while we beaver away, build on the character of our modelling - so keep them coming as often as you feel inclined.

Back to the real reason for my post: Well done on the classic "Standard LNWR building" look of the station buildings.. Lots of work on those windows and awnings I'm guessing, but all worth it as you captured them really well.

All the best for the New Year

Richard

·
Administrator
10,694 Posts
QUOTE Well done on the classic "Standard LNWR building" look of the station buildings.

For anyone else interested in putting together an LNWR building, Parkside Dundas have a small range of panels with which you can make up LNWR stations buildings - See them here

David

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Hi Richard --- Many thanks for the Christmas Greetings. The confusion I had with the Ex LNWR 4-4-0 s was probably attributable to too much "happy"!!!.
Thank you for the kind words you wrote about my building efforts. Coming from such a highly skilled modeller as yourself, it is praise indeed - thanks again.
I have enough pictures taken during the build up of Eccles Junction station to do a thread about it, I may just do that- complete with a few more of my anecdotes!!!!!
I wish you a very Happy New Year and a great modelling 2009.
Tony Overton .

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Hi David. It was very thoughtful of you to put the link advertising plastic parts on my predominantly cardboard building thread.

I did consider using those parts some time ago but decided against that in favour of my favourite and preferred building methods. I can think of many advantages cardboard has over plastic - perhaps the most important for me is cost. Using the prices in the link ( which at first seemed quite reasonable) I reckon I saved myself about 95 GB pounds plus postage. That is not to be sniffed at . Enough to buy a couple of nice locos.
I would say to anyone else contemplating building an Ex LNWR station to give scratch building in cardboard a go, its very rewarding, easy, and a heck of a lot cheaper !!! .Watch this thread for a blow by blow article on this subject when it is completed.
I wish you a very Happy New Year .May 2009 be a great modelling year for you.
Regards Tony (CME GVR)

41 - 60 of 691 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.