Model Railway Forum banner
161 - 180 of 691 Posts

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
QUOTE (10001 @ 18 Jun 2010, 23:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This England football team couldn't even beat Whangarei Girls High School Under 14s second eleven.
There will be no flag raising in the village of Greenslade today. In fact rumour has it that Rodney and Charles are thinking of setting about the flagpole with the chainsaw .

Actually Tony I think they'd do better taking the chain saw to the players after yesterdays worse than dire performance - the pole could still be used to celebrate England beating the Aussies in the one day internationals!

Regards

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Hi Dave . yes you are absolutely right.
The flag pole is intact and the flag is proudly flying in the village of Greenslade for the English cricketers. I wont post a picture in case I get labelled as a Nationalist.
Strangely England's victory did not get a single mention on our TV nor radio here in NZ yet they chortled over the Football time and time again . Rotten sods.!!!

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
HELP . As you can see from the above post I am trying to post a picture. We were steaming along quite nicely but out of the blue Photobucket has changed its format/method and whatever we do we can't post piccies . Any clues ????
Anyones help here would be appreciated please .
Many thanks

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Hi Glen , Many thanks for coming to my assistance , I'm not much good with computers but we will give it another try this evening.
Incidentally I have also replied on your "welcome " thread. Thanks for your comment re the picture.
Regards

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
Hi

When we attempted to post the above picture I had typed a description but lost it when the picture didn't show up .So here it is .

My latest acquisition; the Hornby R2706M Red Dragon train pack with ex-GWR No. 5007 Rougemont Castle and 3 ex-GW coaches in BR Crimson and Cream livery,(a compo , a restaurant car and a brake 2nd .There is a head-board for the loco and destination boards on the coaches show that it is for Paddington-Newport-Cardiff & Swansea. These are not the latest models but at the bargain price I paid they are worthy additions to my stock. Rougemont Castle has now been carefully run-in and is a quiet smooth runner easily coping with a 7 coach train. Not as much detail as the latest models but with plenty of scope for "do-it-yourself " detailing with probably less chance of it falling off. In the picture it is seen entering Eccles Junction Station having just passed beneath the "Birdcage" which has also had some attention recently, where I have at long last fixed the top cross girders /braces .These are Plastruct "I" girders cut to length and glued with Plastruct solvent . The bridge itself is made from 2 Airfix girder bridges so the glue won't be too permanent, hopefully allowing me to take the cross-pieces off for track cleaning.
Now to see if I can post some more pictures .
Regards

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Well here we go . It was a bit of a struggle and nothing like the way we did for all those months, still we have made a note of how we did it so we should be OK until photobucket changes again.
Rougemont Castle is on the up line this time bound for Paddington. 5007 was one the last Castle class I saw before emigrating from England in 1952 .It was then shedded at 86C Cardiff ( Canton ) .As far as I can recall it was a long time resident of 86C

I think it worked . Thanks again Glenn

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
The first time I have had two new locos in one week for a long time. After running in, LNER O4 No 6190 ran very nicely, quiet and powerful , even at a crawl ,and finished up hauling this 22 wagon freight with no trouble at all. She has just passed through Eccles Junction Station and is seen running above the row of cottages in Railway Row. Some older members may recall that Tony , Sid ,and Bill ,all live at No 4 with the oft interruption from Kenneth Williams. This row is scratch built using my usual cardboard methods , with individually cut card slates and all the brickwork stuck on , one brick at a time with a hat-pin, using computer card punch- outs called "chads"

I could not resist the chance to see an O4 again crossing my version of the "Birdcage " bridge carrying the Great Central line over the Ex LNWR lines south of Rugby Midland Station. There was a triangular piece of waste land south of the bridge which was a wonderful place to watch the trains ,with the then LMS West Coast Main Line ( all 4 tracks) on one side , the line to Peterborough on the other together with the LMS turntable. and the LNER crossing all of this above. On a Saturday there would be up to 30 -40 lads enjoying themselves there and always keeping out of trouble . When there was a dull moment , someone would bring out an old tennis ball from his satchel and a great game of football would keep us happy until the next railway action.And there wasn't an anorak in sight !!! Of course all of this is pure nostalgia for me ,even reliving the time we had to cycle all the way home (10 miles ) into the teeth of a blizzard with the slushy snow freezing solid between the spokes of our wheels.

Happy days.
Regards

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Hi .
The general tidy-up of the Goon Valley Railway continues slowly especially under the baseboards where there is an amalgamation of about 30 years clutter and "stuff " , ( and when I say "stuff " I mean "stuff "

The trainset is completely covered in parts with boxes which I am trying to check and label , so running trains at present is out the question. So I thought this short video wouldn't come amiss. I hope you like.

Regards

· Administrator
10,744 Posts
That's a great looking section of scenery there Tony. I love the green bridge.

Good luck with the rest of the clear out. Thanks for posting.

David

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Thanks David for your reply .I appreciate your comments on the scenery and bridge. Most of the scenics on my trainset need a bit of refurbishment , a Spring-clean and spruce up. Some of the "scatter " has been down for a good few years so perhaps the time has
come ....... years of gathering dust tones down the brightness of the grass as it does no doubt in nature .
Yes I'm happy with the Goon River Bridge. In reality the bridge doesn't look quite so green as it does on the video , but I think it does look quite 'Goonish". The paint was Humbrol enamel , I'm sure it was one of their military greys , something for the Wagga Wagga Mounted Camel Militia perhaps ?? Oddly the bridge hasn't featured much in this thread even though it was one of the first structures I made for the railway so perhaps I should describe the build-up in more detail in a future post .

Regards

· Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
This cleaning up is really boring especially when the place gets into a mess such as this.

One solution might be to ask for some assistance from SWMBO, but I fear a lot of my "treasures" would get discarded when I wasn't looking. So I guess I'd better keep my head down and get on with it.

I started to sort my freight stock by making sure all boxed wagons etc were correctly marked and placed into cartons ( including those on the trainset ) I have quite a few kit-built wagons and these do not have boxes but are wrapped in bubble-wrap and stored in cartons. These were placed on the tracks whilst I could check and list them and make good any breakages and replace missing items such as couplings or buffers.The result of this was the tracks were almost covered ,so there hasn't been any train running for a few weeks.Most of the wagons in the next picture are Peco Wonderful Wagons which I put together almost 50 years ago .

A little bit of light relief brought this foreign intruder to the GVR.

Just after starting out in this Hobby I wondered if I could make Locomotives etc . At that time if you wanted anything a bit different from the normal Dublo or Tri-ang fare you had to make it yourself or do without .A lot of excellent loco- building articles appeared almost monthly in the Magazines using various materials but most ending up with very nice looking locos. Apart from these articles I hadn't a clue where to start. So armed with a small side-on photo of an LNWR 4-4-0 ( from which I made my version of a 4mm scale drawing!!!) a scalpel ,some thin card , and lots of enthusiasm, I set to. Kitmaster had just started producing their very nice plastic kits, and I had made a few of these, and this gave me some confidence. The first of these was a Schools class 4-4-0 which I had not made a good job of so I removed it's chassis and wheels and my cardboard wonder was built around this.The chimney was from paper rolled around a paint brush handle and the dome was carved from balsa wood the valves are pins in wire insulation and the wash-out plugs are also large headed pins. every thing else from footplate upwards is card. I hand lettered the model on one side but used proper transfers on the other .

I hand wrote the name plate with a pencil on card for one side only , perhaps I should try to obtain a set of engraved plates.

The tender used the Schools chassis with a card top .The curved top was shaped on a needle file . Card can be persuaded to bend in two directions if well wetted and teased out with tweezers . I find spit is good for this. So there is my model of George V class
25373 Ptarmigan . non-working of course but it proved to me that I could make these unusual models with a lot more practice.

Later I tried using Plastikard using the chassis from a Kitmaster Duchess of Gloucester . The results are shown in the next two pictures. Patriot class 5543 Home guard and parallel boilered Royal Scot 6137 The Prince of Wales's Volunteers ( South Lancashire) both at the north end of Eccles station,

I never progressed further as about this time whitemetal kits became quite plentiful through the endeavours of Robert Wills , George Mellor and Keysers and others so I took the easier route.
I enjoyed unearthing these models and telling you something about them . I hope you enjoy too

· Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
Hi Tony,

It's nice to see that I'm not alone in collecting "junk", mind you I don't think I've ever got quite as much in one place as you seem to have managed!

Regards

· Administrator
10,744 Posts
That was an entertaining read Tony, and I think your locos look great

David

161 - 180 of 691 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.