Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Once again, I am back with another minor disaster. I bought a rebuilt West Country, 34045, described as having valve gear "issues". When I opened the box, I found that the cylinder block had fallen apart, so I bought a new one. However, on closer inspection, the slide bar (excuse the terminology), which should be held to a black plastic frame is not. The pin that holds the hanger to the frame has sheared. Ignoring the usual difficulties with getting the motion apart, does anyone have any ideas/experience about fixing it? I can't get a replacement valve gear set, X9680, as Hornby don't have any supply at all. Any tips would be great. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Try Abbigails just in case. The parts are the same for the Merchant Navy and the WC/BB apart from the coupling rods due to the different wheelbase.

·
In depth idiot
7,685 Posts
I don't have this particular model, but if you have identified the pin that has sheared it would be worthwhile looking for something of similar dimensions to use as a replacement. Often the bigger challenge is removing the broken piece still in place sufficiently carefully that the location for the replacement pin is undamaged. The fine brass track pin by Peco is often suitable, or steel dressmakers pins with a small head, and valve gear pins and rivets can be had in model shops - take the bits along to search for a match. Good luck with it - you have nothing to loose by attempting a repair.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I had already tried East Kent, as they are just up the road from me. When I couldn't get it there, my next port of call was Abbiegails. According to East Kent, Hornby have never actually supplied anyone with the spare parts yet. Also, just for fun, they aren't telling anyone why. I also messaged Hornby, who sent me back a "standard" message saying the part I needed was no longer made and to try EK or Abbiegails. I have mailed back to point out that their own e-mail is wrong, and I would appreciate a reply that wasn't automatic!

I think I will wait for the appropriate spares to actually become available, or have a go at the repair in the meantime. I have no need to rush into anything. I am deeply unimpressed with Hornby though, especially when compared to Bachmann customer support. I suppose if you are large enough, you can start to ignore people....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought I'd update this topic in the interests of balance. I received an e-mail this morning from Hornby telling me that the replacement parts are in the post to me, free of charge. Granted it took two e-mails to get them to read it, but that is proper service, and I applaud them for it.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I've found Hornby to be excellent for service I recently received a complete Merchant Navy chassis as replacement for a minor fault.
Bachmann too have often suprised me with their excellent spares department, spares have been obtained for relatively minor parts on American stock without a quibble. You really cannot fault the service from either IMHO.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I reserve the right to withdraw my previous satisfaction. I received the parts today, which didn't fit, and had to be adapted. Too late (i.e. just after the piston rod bent like a banana) I realised the spares they had sent me are for a Merchant Navy. It seems the customer is always wrong....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Fireline @ 16 Oct 2008, 20:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I reserve the right to withdraw my previous satisfaction. I received the parts today, which didn't fit, and had to be adapted. Too late (i.e. just after the piston rod bent like a banana) I realised the spares they had sent me are for a Merchant Navy. It seems the customer is always wrong....

Ok, Hornby are doing their best to make me look like an idiot. (I usually don't need any help!) They phoned me this morning, and I have dropped the engine back to the factory for them to FULLY repair. Musn't grumble....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (Fireline @ 17 Oct 2008, 11:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok, Hornby are doing their best to make me look like an idiot. (I usually don't need any help!) They phoned me this morning, and I have dropped the engine back to the factory for them to FULLY repair. Musn't grumble....

In the interests of fairness, I have to report! Hornby returned my engine a week or ten days ago. Not only have they fitted a NEW chassis, they also repaired some pipes that had gotten damaged in the original removal. I now have an as new West Country, which including fixing, cost me less than 1/3 list! Hornby did their bit for free...

Now, do you think it is time to mention to them that I have an A3 that is ailing too????

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
QUOTE (Fireline @ 11 Nov 2008, 17:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In the interests of fairness, I have to report! Hornby returned my engine a week or ten days ago. Not only have they fitted a NEW chassis, they also repaired some pipes that had gotten damaged in the original removal. I now have an as new West Country, which including fixing, cost me less than 1/3 list! Hornby did their bit for free...

Now, do you think it is time to mention to them that I have an A3 that is ailing too????

Hi I think i would leave it a week or two
Just to be safe

Regards
Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts