Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick question.

I picked up a few continental wagons as part of a collection.

Most have a manufacturer branding on the bottom however there are two I am puzzled about.

If a wagon has "West German" or "Western Germany" on the bottom and no branding which manufacturer is it likely to be?

I don't think its Fleischmann and it is unlike Marklin not to have their brand on the bottom.

I could put pictures up if that helps.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I would second that, but also add we can safely knock out a lot of manufacturers as they were in Eastern Germany. The very fact they are marked as West Germany indicates they come from the pre 1990 catalogue of whichever company produced them.

Regards

·
Registered
120 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 8 Nov 2007, 12:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>it is unlike Marklin not to have their brand on the bottom.

Hi,

Certainly not Marklin - there are only a few Marklin items that have no manufacturer name on them.

Regards,

Cem.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Hi Gary,

These in my opinion are Liliput rolling stock long before the accusition of Bachmann when they were liliput de.

Can't be Maerklin all wheels isolated.
Judging by the couplers only liliput,lima and piko uses them. Lima and Piko ain't W.German so leaves only Liliput.

Any more guesses?

Cheers
Baykal

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 8 Nov 2007, 18:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Gary,

These in my opinion are Liliput rolling stock long before the accusition of Bachmann when they were liliput de.

Can't be Maerklin all wheels isolated.
Judging by the couplers only liliput,lima and piko uses them. Lima and Piko ain't W.German so leaves only Liliput.

Any more guesses?

Cheers
Baykal

Sorry Baykal - the original Liliput was made in Austria, not Germany. Don't forget that wheelsets can be changed - I have a lot of Maerklin rolling stock fitted with insulated wheels.

The first wagon looks a little like a Fleischmann as they did produce a wagon like the 1st one pictured, if so the couplings have been changed. If it is, it's probably pre-70's.

Not too sure about the 2nd one, the construction is like early Fleischmann but I have never ever seen a Fleischmann without the name on it unlike the rare Maerklin ones without.

Could be Trix ?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi,

Coupler spring mechanism "is" Marklin - that's for sure. And Trix and Marklin have been in close cooperation (that is; sharing technology and design) for a long time before Marklin bought Trix. So in my opinion Trix is the most plausable candidate.

In the meantime, superb models. Congratulations on the buy Gary.

Regards,

Cem.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The frames are metal. I think they are Trix as they have that look about them. Its been a while since an older Trix model crossed my radar.

Thank you for your help gentlemen.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
233 Posts
The container (door to door) wagon is a Trix Express Behältertragwagen and the turntable (Langholzwagen) is also a Trix Express but about 10 years old. They are not Maerklin as the Trix Express coupling was not supplied as a retro-fit for Maerklin wagons.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
My vote is for Trix - they just have that look about them.

Regards

1 - 14 of 14 Posts