Model Railway Forum banner
341 - 360 of 399 Posts

·
Bog Snorkeller
987 Posts
QUOTE (Greyvoices @ 12 Oct 2013, 12:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am rather taken with this junction:

Wymondham junction

I may try to emulate this. Perhaps not with all the sidings.

I wonder why John

Had a feeling I'd seen this somewhere before so had a search and, remembering your comments about Westford, I found this, the Gunnisford branch junction extension on the Westford Exhibition Layout;-

They do look remarkably similar and without the sidings....

NB. The copyright for this image is owned by 'Westford BR(WR) Modellers Group'. If anyone has objections to me using it in this context please let me know and I will remove it.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #343 ·
The influence must be subliminal Mike as I had not thought of that.

With WSJ I am exploring two types of junction, the flat type involving diamonds and the flying type, my Seven Hills Junction, where one of the tracks burrows under the main line to avoid any opposing movements.

Best regards ............. Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Longfunnelled&amp;tiresome
2,058 Posts
QUOTE (Greyvoices @ 11 Oct 2013, 20:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Allora LF&T ......... as your Italian friends would say.
The trip to the Model Rail exhibition that I mentioned a couple of posts ago seems to have inspired me but it was not one of the layouts. No it was the DCC Concepts magnetic incline gizmo that got me thinking.Mi dispiace John, I didn't read the above until I'd been enjoying those junction photos just posted above.

I am with you both on the ease with which Anyrail can be picked up and the possibilities unleashed by the DCC Concepts' magnetic strips. I have been fiddling with Anyrail testing out some hill climbing capabilities RJ thought practicable in post #107 here .
Actually Anyrail can be fine tuned quite accurately via their setting menus. This way you can set up some quite precise 100mm (4") grids for really crucially detailed bits.
I skilled up on this when developing a sequence of 'small' trial layouts that Bear was good enough to give me some invaluable signalling crits about operating.

LF&T

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #347 ·
It has been very quiet at West Suffolk Junction over the past couple of months. I have been reading and contributing to other threads but here at WSJ there seemed little to report; yet another intense armchair modelling phase. In truth I have been putting off necessary DIY in the garage because before I install the layout baseboards I want to finish off the walls and floors. As a young man I used to relish such work but now I dread it.

I have however not been completely idle. Purchasing bits and pieces goes on apace and recent acquisitions form the meat of this post. Track has been a major headache for me and I have a few options to choose from. I have now to hand samples of:

1. Peco code 100
  2. Peco code 75
  3. Tillig Elite code 83
  4. Shinohara code 83
  5. C&L code 75 (both nickel silver & steel)
  6. Marcway code 75

The recent arrivals:

Tillig Elite single slip, code 83, complete with pointwork furniture and both live and insulated fishplates included in the box

and:

Shinohara double crossover, code 83

I am very impressed with both of these bits of kit though it must be noted that the Tillig Elite track is of a far higher quality. I like the Tillig depth of flange and that rolling stock wheels will be in touch with metal all the way through the pointwork. This quality is reflected in the price, listed by Mount Tabor Models as £38.50 though as I was making a bulk order I got a bit of discount. He even bought me a pint as the transaction was completed one evening in a pub near to his shop in Cromford.

The Shinohara double crossover is a different kettle of fish but you do get a lot of track for your money. Listed as £49.50 by Scale Link the extra postage of £9.75 might seem excessive but believe me, the care taken in packaging with the points sandwiched between two lengths of hardboard is very sensible. No gripes on cost here. As I said, the quality is not that of Tillig but with careful handling, ballasting and painting should make a very attractive and convincing element on the layout. One issue for me is the apparent depth of flangeway, not as generous as the Tillig track but as yet I've run nothing through either of the points so ..... time will tell. Oh, one other note, the sharp ends of the vee's are plastic, a la Peco; not as good as the Tillig but at this price ...................

I will go through the other track options in the next post and ....... yes I know that the track thing has been discussed before but it is an ongoing topic for us H0/00 modellers. At the moment I am leaning towards a combination of Tillig for points and C&L plain line. The difference between code 75 and 83 being minimal. The Shinohara ( I keep wanting to type Shin O'Hara) double crossover will be used on my fiddle yard throat. The jury is still out but the Anglo/German alliance is starting to win the argument.

I am indebted to dt and his Dover Priory thread for discovery of the Shin O'Hara double crossover. He has already warned of what to be careful of so eventually I am hoping for an easy installation. I suppose that this brand of track is well known amongst American Railroad devotees but it is a new one on me.

I may not be able to make the next post before Christmas so I will take this opportunity of wishing all on MRF a very happy festive few days and I hope that Santa brings all you good boys and girls what your heart's most desire.

Best regards ............... Greyvoices (alias John)

·
The black and white cat
628 Posts
And a Merry Christmas to you John, I do like the look of the Tillig point very nice indeed , however the cost will do me in so I'm a big fan of Peco code 75 once weathered and modified I think they look the part.
Regards Mike

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Crikey, John, that's so nice it makes me want to go out and buy one and devise a plan to use it! A

A very happy Christmas from this way too...

·
What do I put here&#33;?&#33;
883 Posts
Hi John & All,
A very merry Christmas to all on here from me as well.
Nice pointwork all round!
I think the reason for the reduced flangeway on the Shinohara (can't get Shin O'Hara out of my head now!!!) is to allow the US NMRA standard RP25 wheelsets to ride through on their flanges - Peco code 83 is much the same and I had to gouge it out to accommodate the likes of Trix wheelsets on my Peco 83 but, . . . they are nice points.
However I've decided to more or less standardise on Roco Line code 83 for my big 'train set', would you like me to take some photos?
Cheers,
John E.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Very nice indeed John. I also opted to purchase one and took the Stratford version

1602 Class 16 North British Green Stratford HYE D8404

I still have a Dave Alexander WM kit to build to go alongside it one day...

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #355 ·
It has been over 50 days since my last post on this thread. I had intended pushing on with the analysis of track options but real life intervened. First there was the break for Christmas and then I was asked to return to the world of paid work; oh and of course a boozy trip with friends to Bavaria: Link to the boozy trip to Bavaria thread

All the above are just excuses because the real reason that I've not posted here has been my wife's insistence that I had to vacate the dining room. This has meant moving an awful lot of stuff into the garage/office/drinking den/railway room so now I seem to be back to square one space wise. I have managed to box in track, tools and other must have items which, before they can be accessed will require yet another major upheaval. The dream railway remains but a dream. I have to bite the bullet and get this room decluttered but that can wait for better weather. If there has been no progress with Glatzau or West Suffolk Junction then I tend not to post but ...............

So what has prompted me to post here today? It started with my wife asking me if I wanted anything from town. Yes said I (in full Parker mode), "could you get me the March issue of the Hornby magazine?"

"I thought you said that you are cutting down on railway magazines"

"Yes" says I looking innocent, "I have cut down from 4 a month to only 2". (notice the careful insinuation of the word "only", a well known ploy of modelling husbands). With a well aimed sniff she was off and a couple of hours later handed me the said magazine.

I immediately started flicking through it, first the review of Bachmann's new Class 40 with sound (I have one on order) and then to Nigel Burkin's article about constructing the Cambrian Models kit of a Sturgeon (nee Dolphin) wagon. It was then that the memories came flooding back because years ago, when I was a mere slip of a lad, I worked with these wagons, loading them, unloading them, shunting and hooking up, load inspected them, labelled them .......... well you get the idea. The original LNER Dolphins were a fine unbraked wagon. Even when they were modified with air brakes and renamed as "Tench", those I worked with in the eastern part of BR still called them Dolphins, a few using the nickname "Gondola". Dolphins were used to take loose materials to engineering sites of work, often returning to the permanent way depots filled with a tangled mass of rails, sleepers and any amount of rubbish that had to be cleared from the line following an engineering possession. They could be a devil's own job to unload safely.

The Cambrian Models Dolphin

As the railways started to relay more and more track with prefabricated track panels the need for wagons upon which they could be loaded became urgent. The quick fix was to remove the doors from Dolphins as the panels were just too wide to fit between the doors. The wagons were redesignated as Sturgeons. A problem arose as the the wagon floor was a fraction lower than the highest platform height and it was possible that the track panels could foul as they were conveyed through stations. The obvious answer was to raise the panels above the wagon floor and this was done, first by fixing a couple of rails along the length of the wagon but later using substantial baulks of timber. Thus were the panels raised above platform height.

The Cambrian Models Sturgeon prior to the fitting of longitudinal rails or timbers

Eventually the Salmon wagon was preferred principally for the higher wagon floor but also because of the development in bogie design. The Salmons became the wagon of choice but the lower loading deck of the Sturgeons were still preferred when having to be unloaded/loaded under overhead wires.

The Cambrian Models Salmon wagon loaded with track panels.

Timber sleepered track panels could be loaded 5 high whilst concrete sleepered panels only 4 high. A common problem was the amount of ballast that remained on top of the reclaimed panels being moved from engineering sites, a lot of this stone falling onto the wagon floor. A common "jankers" job for yard staff was to dig out the accumulation of ballast from between the longitudinal rails or timbers which, when compacted, proved very resistant to the shovel.

I am tempted to order both the Dolphin and Sturgeon kits to see what I can make of them. The new Cambrian kits seem to be tailor made for the ten thumbed brigade so it should not be too difficult. I also have a deal of C&L sleepers, chairs and bullhead rails so the load should prove an interesting diversion for a number of evenings. Here is the link to: Cambrian Models

I have to say that Nigel Burkin has produced a nice article ....... well it has inspired me. Just the counterbalance I needed after a month of contemplating the 2014 offerings of the H0 manufacturers (see link at top of post). I wonder if others have a problem with a split gauge personality.

Best regards .............. Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Premium Member
6,323 Posts
QUOTE I am indebted to dt and his Dover Priory thread for discovery of the Shin O'Hara double crossover. He has already warned of what to be careful of so eventually I am hoping for an easy installation. I suppose that this brand of track is well known amongst American Railroad devotees but it is a new one on me.

Thank you John, also from Shaun O' Hara.

I will be taking more than a passing interest in the C&L stand this coming Saturday,at Tonbridge Exhibition, a 1 day only event.
Kite flying, is not recommend,around here,today and tomorrow,so I may spend some time,adding to the list of DP, refurb.

Thanks for support....the difficult times, have passed on...........

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #357 ·
Now that would be a dynamic duo, dt & Shaun O'Hara!!

I must get back to the track issue as that will mean that I am making progress.

I spent an awful lot of time thinking about track, even to the point (unintentional pun) of getting hold of various samples from C&L, Marcway, Tillig and of course Peco. I also have been looking at Exactoscale (now part of the C&L portfolio). I finally plumped for the combination of Tillig Elite turnouts coupled with r-t-r C&L track. I posted a photo of the very attractive Tillig single slip in an earlier post and this has been followed by many more Tillig purchases.

I nearly went with Marcway:

This illustration of a commision undertaken by Marcway caught my eye

I think that I can achieve a similar effect with Tillig but time will tell if my optimism can become a reality.

In my last post I discussed Nigel Burkin's article in the current Hornby magazine. Last night, reading the article in detail and remembering the happy evenings I spent constructing a short rake of Cambrian LNER Quint D wagons:

The result is that I have now ordered one of each of the Sturgeon kits, with and without doors. Order placed late last night so from Monday I will be eagerly awaiting the postman's knock (!!!!!)

Best regards ............... Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #358 ·
I have been much occupied by H0 matters of late so, with a shake of my split scale head a return to 00. Some arrivals over the past few days:

The BR/LNER Thompson O1 and Brush Type 2 are courtesy of Hornby as mazak fatigued Class 31 replacements. I do love the look of that O1. I was initially uncertain about running an O1 on West Suffolk Junction (when it's built -- sigh) but after a careful reading of the RCTS LNER Locomotives masterwork (the much loved set of green volumes), specifically book 6B, I discovered that in 1957 there was a March O1 diagram that ran to Norwich via Ely - Thetford, then to Ipswich, returning to March via the direct route through Bury St.Edmunds. On the strength of that I feel confident in running a similar O1 freight through WSJ.

The Class 40, or as I prefer, the EE Type 4 is the eagerly awaited sound model that was first advertised in 2011 (or was it earlier?). I pre-ordered this at a price of £124 but by the time it finally emerged the discounted price from Hatton's was £187. Worth the wait though as it looks to be a stunning model of D211 Mauritania which originally ran out of Euston and, to my knowledge was never seen on the Eastern Region. A look at my notebooks show that I saw it in 1961 at Bletchley. I bought this loco with a view to renumbering in the initial D200 - 209 series that ran out of Liverpool Street (I have a hankering for D207). As soon as I do that I am sure that Bachmann will, at their Summer open day, make a press release that a model of D207 will be produced in 2015 however, I take the view that it is best to buy what's available because these days, when it's gone it's gone and there is no guarantee that waiting for your prefered number or variation would be a wise choice.

I have not test run any of them as yet but I am hopeful that there are no problems. Nothing was damaged in the post. I must listen to the sound of D211.

Not the best of photographs for which I apologise.

Best regards ............. Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #359 ·
Another arrival has been a parcel from Cambrian Models ------- the two Sturgeon/Gondola/Dolphin/Tench wagons mentioned in a previous post. I like the look of these kits and am hopeful that my ten thumbs will be up to the job.

Who knows, I might just stop posting long enough to get some modelling done!!!!

Best regards ........... Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi John,

How did you get the green Brush Type 2? (That's how I think of them as well, not Class 31.) I thought Hornby weren't making them in green at the moment. The EE Type 4 looks stunning by the way.

Best Regards,
Peter A

341 - 360 of 399 Posts