Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Most model locos on DC are way to fast with scale speeds well in excess of the magic ton. A good decoder, which the Hornby one isn't, can set the top speed in a variety of ways. Setting CV5 top speed and CV6 mid range speed is a good start. if the decoder supports it then using a speed table can also help. If the decoder uses BEMF that can have an effect on top speed. Some decoders like Lenz Gold/Silver have a shunting speed CV if this is enabled then top speed is severly curtailed. If you have acess to a decoder setting program like Decoder Pro it can be a great help in setting CV's consistently. With Hornby and Bachamnn locos it's a good idea to remove the RF supression capacitors as these can have a dramatic effect on a loco after it has been DCC fitted, see Doug's report on the Bachmann Super D. With some of the Bachmann diesels I have found up to 3 RF suppression caps and these played merry hell with the running qualities.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

QUOTE (John 370 001 @ 30 Nov 2008, 20:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I bought am old Hornby R352 Western Courier yesterday along with the usual Hornby DCC chip. On testing in DC the loco ran rought so I gave it a thorough cleaning and service. Testing again in DC it ran much smoother.

I then fitted the Hornby DCC chip in the usual way and removed the DC capacitor or resistor. Running in DCC with a Hornby Select controller the loco ran smooth in both directions (but quite slow).

The problem I have is that it is very slow, the top speed peaking after around only 1/3 of the speed dial rotation. I looked at the loco again but can't find anything wrong.

Does anyone have any ideas? as I have chipped 9 other old Lima / Hornby locos in the same way and have not had this problem before.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts