Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An independent standard-gauge line with no direct connection into the wider network. ....... The first section of the line was completed in 1901, the full line finished in 1908. All of the track and rolling stock were requisitioned during the war and the railway closed in 1917. The materials never saw active service! ........

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/06/04/bidef...part-1-railfile

·
Registered
Devon based, into hills and sea, full time worker for the NHS, family guy, student plumber
10 Posts
I have been intending to follow up my first article about this line (Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore Railway – Part 1 – Railfile) with a second one. It has taken me sometime to complete it. This next article covers the line from Bideford to Westward Ho!

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/11/30/bidef...-railway-part-2
Excellent article Roger, thank you. I always thought the 'Car Wash' opposite Morrisons in Bideford was a former engine shed and now my suspicions have been confirmed. There's plenty of ex-railway infrastructure knocking around the town. Incidentally, I unknowingly walked the old railway line route to Westward Ho! during one of my lockdown walks last year, next time I walk it I will see it in a completely different light thanks to you your article. I think would make an excellent Walking Britains Lost Railways clip, perhaps a youtube project for the future?

All the best.
Ivi

·
In depth idiot
7,736 Posts
An independent standard-gauge line with no direct connection into the wider network...
And it is shown in this form in the RCH Atlas of 1904, created for mileage charge purposes on traffic which utilised more than one company's rail route. The implication of this is that at least one of freight consignments and/or through booked passenger journeys were possible... The narrow gauge style centre coupler and buffing arrangement thoroughly makes the point that this line was not intended to be part of the national network.

Governmentally mediated requistioning of the line's assets resulting in its hardware being lost at sea, makes a most appropriate epitaph for such wrongheaded notions! If only W.S. Gilbert had still been alive at the time of this event, he might have created a satiric libretto on the subject.

The railway promoter of bunk,
Building a line without a junc,
Shall live to see,
Its loss eternally,
Beneath the ocean's waves sunk.

Lest any think that he might not have been so harsh, I refer to his well known ridicule of the LNWR's inability to run trains on time on summer holiday Saturdays, in his letter to The Times.

"In the face of Saturday the officials of the company stand helpless and appalled. This day, which recurs at stated and well-ascertained intervals, is treated as a phenomenon entirely outside the ordinary operations of nature, and, as a consequence, no attempt whatever is made to grapple with its inherent difficulties. To the question, "What has caused the train to be so late?" the officials reply, "It is Saturday" — as who should say, "It is an earthquake." ."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts