Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Yes your right Frame69 it is a big shame that some people want to get rid of our heritage railways. I have had holidays in Weymouth for many years now and think it is a beautiful place to be. Why cant people just leave our railways alone!!.

Excellent avatar picture by the way

Kind regards
Paul

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paul,avatar is pic from cab of class 40 when we were shunting the 37 just before a diesel weekend at Bodmin Wenford last year. Went to weymouth last year, is a shame, I also have an old cab ride video from this line which shows the flag men walking in front of the engine and getting cars moved off the line,70s I think.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
This story just goes to show that those in charge dont hqave a bloody clue!
Steve

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I have much sympathy for those who wish to retain this line, but having seen it in action in the early 1960s even then it was bedeviled by parked cars and in turn caused traffic chaos as trains wended their slow way along the quay.

I am therefore not surprised that with today's traffic levels (and how much more than the 1960s is that?) that the local authority cannot see an easy reuse of this line. And from Weymouth station to the sea front is only a ten minute walk.....

Regards,
John Webb

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I walked this a few years ago - a great day out. Let's try and save it.

Regards

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is worth trying, shame Betjemann isnt still with us

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I've got five black and white photos taken in 1963, which was when I saw it in use. I'll try and scan them and post them in the next week or so.

Regards,
John Webb

PS I would like to see it kept - but I've a feeling it just won't succeed, alas!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Yet another one of our glorious heritage railways will go to the big track in the sky then!!!

What a huge shame that is and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. It seems only the preserved railways can keep our hopes alive with nostalgic memories.

Kind regards
Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts