Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
is asleep
758 Posts
I was wondering...

What ever happened to TT scale? I was just looking at the Tillig website, the only major manufacturer in 1:120 scale and it occured to me that they do have a good point about it being the 'golden middle' between N and OO/H0. It seems almost an accident that quite shortly after TT was introduced it was trumped by N with much finer detailing at the time, all those years ago. TT declined swiftly in the face of such impressive minaturisation and never recovered. It seems a shame to some extent because H0/OO modellers like the size and ease of detailing/more detail of the larger size while N modellers enjoy more realistic sized curves, expansive scenery or fitting more into a small space etc. TT seems to me a perfect combination so that everbody wins...

...I was just thinking that there must be a parallel universe where 1:120 triumphed over all the other gauges and such convergence by the whole modelling world on one gauge would allow a wider range of models to be produced and greater economies of scale...or is it always the case that people want to be different and then in this TT dominated parallel universe there is a spin-off gauge half way between N and Z and another between OO and O, so still no conformity to one standard? I suppose that even if Europe was TT dominated then those in North America would still want a larger gauge because of their bigger and more gas-guzzling is better philosophy...

Right, I'm off to find out: into my time-machine and back in time to 1959 with my atomic bomb to stop Arnold inventing the Rapido 200...

Goedel

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
most of my early modelling was in TT....triang stuff, etc.....twin-motored Brush A1A's, etc....body kits by Bec and Esanel...plus Gem, of course.....

triang track mostly...but also fibre-based Peco..and GEM...

as in most other commercial scales...there is some scale discrepancies.....and gauges....namely 12mm track..TT, I think, and 14.2mm track...3mm scale. Isn't continental stuff a different scale ratio to UK stuff?

I like it....but wont go there now..too much HO and OO stuff....plus eyesight!

it IS a handy scale if one's barra revolves around scratchbuilding or kitbashing.....you KNOW you hard work isn't going to be bettered by Bachmann come Xmas.

S scale is another oddball....yet much can be utilised from other scales?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
There are quite a few manufacturers who do the best they can for TT gauge - Tillig of course, but also newcomers like Kühn, TT Club et al.

In eastern Germany, TT is all but dead.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 3 Jun 2007, 00:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There are quite a few manufacturers who do the best they can for TT gauge - Tillig of course, but also newcomers like Kühn, TT Club et al.

In eastern Germany, TT is all but dead.

Shame - I always liked TT - to me you had the detail & ease of use as with HO & the ability to use less space. Last time I went to the Nurnberg Fair Tillig (I think it was) had a very impressive TT layout on display.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Kühn Hercules:

Kühn 110.1:

Kühn 110.3:

Kühn 211:

·
Registered
436 Posts
QUOTE (goedel @ 3 Jun 2007, 05:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was wondering...

they do have a good point about it being the 'golden middle' between N and OO/H0.

Goedel

I like that phrase 'golden middle'! It's a shame it's just about died out. I can't see it coming back in any meaningful way - particularly in the UK.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
The 3mm society have their big doo a tthe leatherhead show and seeing it last year i was stunned with what was available.

I was even tempted to get a loco for myself. the old gem kits have been refurbished with decent chassis and they looked very respectable. they were beautifully presented. here is the web site but it dosent really do the kits justice.
http://www.3smr.co.uk/locos.html

I too love that "golden middle" phrase.

I have a 4mm metre gauge model on the back burner. i am going to use a TT chassis under it.

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I still have a couple of bits of TT in storage somewhere, and keep saying that I'll get a Merchant Navy if I see one at the right price. (purely for display dbc50, purely for display)

Regards

John

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 4 Jun 2007, 17:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>keep saying that I'll get a Merchant Navy if I see one at the right price. (purely for display dbc50, purely for display)
Regards
John

Yeah - right !
(That's about the same as me saying I have enough DB218's - in any gauge or livery ! - now who makes a 218 in TT ?).

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 4 Jun 2007, 19:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yeah - right !
(That's about the same as me saying I have enough DB218's - in any gauge or livery ! - now who makes a 218 in TT ?).

Tillig does

Judging from their website, they also make the class 225 and class 215 engine in TT...

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Theree you go dbc - no excuse now!

Regards

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts