Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a second hand Triang "00 gauge" chassis, 4-6-0 and following a satisfactory test run on a length of Peco flexible track. I fitted it into a spare Triang B12 body shell. No problems encountered until I ran the loco on my layout which included Peco large radius pointwork and I found that the driving wheels were " binding on" in the area of the check rails opposite the frogs. On examination it was clearly obvious that the wheels were set at at a narrower gauge than standard..... probably more than .5 millimetre which was enough to cause a lot of problems on points.

The pony truck wheels were similarly set but were easy to adjust. The drivers were more of a headache however I managed to " lever" them out and the loco now takes all points without breaking it's stride.

I would love to know what this is all about....have I inadvertantly touched into some non standard gauge... ?

Tiebar.

·
In depth idiot
7,675 Posts
Tiebar,

No, you have simply run into old Triang which had back to back set narrower, due largely to thicker flanges; also note the wider tyres than are typical of current production. This stuff was made to work on the very coarse type 3 and super 4 track of the 1960's. Best way to adjust the wheels is to use a punch one eighth inch diameter on the insulated side of the wheel set, a light tap with a hammer will open out the back to back, without the risk of introducing wobble by levering the wheels apart.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
it's all about different wheel standards...rather than gauge........

this is a problem that is still with us today, on modern stock........and is why there are a multitude of standards for each and every scale/gauge.

hence for 4mm scale, we have OO, OO finescale, EM, P4/S4...etc

even for HO we have proto 87 as well.....

3 mm scale has TT, plus 12mm gauge, 14mm gauge,e tc....

all differing standards within the same scale, as folk sought finer ,more realistic-looking wheels and track...and improved running of course.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for replying with very helpful explanations. .... I did not realize that the gauges / scales were no diverse. I have had a squint at my other locos and can spot some slight variation in back to back flange dimensions but these have obviously caused no problem on points. I have tried 34C's punch method; excellent result.

Tiebar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts