Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Hi Gary, I asked a Marklin dealer and here is his response:
QUOTE Not sure what this person refers to in terms of "Losing memory". If he is referring to having to re initiate each address for all 80 locomotives, that is correct as with any system, DCC or Motorola. Its not that the function settings change or load or delays or speed settings change within the decoder, they remain as either programmed or hard coded, depending on what decoders he has and it sounds like he may have a lot of older decoders.

When one turns the power off on any system, you will always have to "Call Up" your loco on the Controller. Now, the only exception today is the new MFX Technology where the controller is automatically advised of all MFX locomotives on your system when you turn it on, assuming you have no more then 10 for the Mobile Station and no more then 80 for the Central Station.

My layout plans are done and it will have some 185 locomotives on it. Will be interesting to see how this will work out as I have a combination of both non and MFX locs.

With my Fleischmann I have no problems turning it on or off. You just need to call up each locomotive on your controller and all of the settings were as before. Marklin runs the exact same way except for the new MFX decoders which actually report to the controller which I think Railcon will do in the future. So I think something else is going on with his layout or you may have misunderstood him.

Oh and I just came back from a show where there were a number of Marklin layouts and the new track with the small center studs is very good and you don't even see the third rail.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
That's what I am thinking as well. The dealer I talked to also thought that maybe this person had old decoders that were erasing themselves and that Marklin decoders work the same way as anyone elses except for the new feature noted on MFX decoders where the decoder tells the central station about itself similar to Plug & Play devices on a computer I guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.