Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to start a thread to try and pool our knowlage about which manufacturers use which factories or manufacturers.

I will kick things off and if you know anything different then please discuss it or correct or add to the list.

Sanda Kan
Hornby
Atlas
Lifelike
Haidar?? (it used to say on their website that they had their own huge factory but frankly i dont believe them.)

I think the atlas stuff and lifelike diesels and the newer generation of hornby diesels (50, 60, 56) may be made in a different place to the hornby steamers?
i am also not sure about what has happened since Horizon hobbies seem to have purchased evrything in the US. can i add Athearn to this list?
Also i am almost certain that some Roco stuff was also made there about 10 years ago. I know they have (had?) their own factory but are they also using the Sanda Kan plant?

Kader
Bachmann Branchline
Bachmann China
Lilliput
Tenshodo (the plastic products & spuds)
Bachmann US & Spectrum

·
Registered
763 Posts
I once heard a presentation from Bachmann where they indicated the Kadar factory does produce for other companies, but they could not discuss which, presumably for reasons of commercial confidentiality.

This could well include some of the Australian companies like Eureka , Aucision Austrains etc - and they may well use more than one manufacturer , put different moderls with different factories and so on

·
In depth idiot
7,673 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 22 Feb 2008, 08:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>..I think the atlas stuff and lifelike diesels and the newer generation of hornby diesels (50, 60, 56) may be made in a different place to the hornby steamers?
Nothing to add to your main list, but that particular comment caught my eye as an interesting aspect.

As seen from the UK there are distinct differences in design between diesel and steam in both manufacturers.

Bachmann (just the Blue Riband branded items)
Steam locos: accurate, well detailed and finished bodies; good chassis layout and motor mounting, considerable variability in motor types and dimensions.
Diesel locos: fairly accurate bodies with minimal detail in adequate finish (significant improvement from class 66 introduction); highly standardised simple and effective twin bogie chassis design template applied universally.

Hornby (model oriented product since 1999)
Steam locos: accurate, very well detailed and finished bodies, standardised chassis layout of weak mechanical design.
Diesel locos: accurate, very well detailed and finished bodies, standardised chassis layout of good design.

In both cases it leads me to suspect that different teams or workshops are used for steam and diesel types, particularly the mechanisms.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I was visiting Hornby last week and was told about the Chinese factories. The Hornby representative said that they now managed their factories in China themselves so that they have full control over production.

I assume this is different to how they started out when they didn't have control over production.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
QUOTE (Ravenser)This could well include some of the Australian companies like Eureka , Aucision Austrains etc - and they may well use more than one manufacturer , put different models with different factories and so on

I had forgotten about Eureka. i believe their moulds were comissioned from Kader.

QUOTE (Doug)I was visiting Hornby last week and was told about the Chinese factories. The Hornby representative said that they now managed their factories in China themselves so that they have full control over production.

I assume this is different to how they started out when they didn't have control over production.

Interesting.
I supose their range is now big enough to justify it. I heard when they first took over the Lima range they were having to fight for production slots! I think i heard somewhere recently that they were even concodering transfering production to India, but i cant remember where i read that.

Can anyone add any info about the US companies. obviously roundhouse and athearn will be made in the same place. but where? is there anything else that is also part of that group?

Peter

·
Registered
136 Posts
Another product from the Kader factory is Blackstone HOn3. The packaging of the locos is the same as the latest Bachmann On30 locos. I have copied below some information about the company which is part of Soundtraxx who are a supplier to Bachmann USA.

Blackstone are available in the UK from Paul Martin at EDM Models although they are all limited editions and most sold out as soon as they arrived http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Blackstone/B.../blackstone.htm

QUOTE Blackstone Models is a division of SoundTraxx created in 2004 for the purpose of creating quality models in HOn3.

Blackstone Models is a new kind of model train company dedicated to the creation of high quality models, blending old-world craftsmanship with today's state-of-the-art electronic technology.

Blackstone Models locomotives will combine the sound technology that has made SoundTraxx a leader in the industry with our love of a truly inspired model. Beginning with some of our favorites from our own neck of the woods, Blackstone looks to introduce a whole new generation to the world of narrow gauge.

You can find out more about Blackstone Models by visiting the Blackstone website at www.blackstonemodels.com.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that one. i had never heard of them untill then.

Just to clarify i think i have just found out that Sanda kan actually owns K-line. (the model maker and possibly the shipping company aswell.) and the products are distributed in the US by Lionel. God that relationship is confusing!!

Peter

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Pedro,

Good idea.

Have just been looking up Kader on Wikipedia which provides quite a lot of information including the fact that they bought out Bachman and also produce the Graham Farish models. Don't forget us N Gaugers.

The link is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kader

I am going over to China at the end of April (Guangxi Province) and will try to see what I can find out 'on the ground' so to speak. I have certainly not found any retail outlets other than in Shanghai and Beijing. Most Chinese don't even know about the existence model railways.

Regards,

Expat

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 22 Feb 2008, 12:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was visiting Hornby last week

Had we known we could have met up - assuming we were at home.

QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 22 Feb 2008, 12:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think i heard somewhere recently that they (Hornby) were even concodering transfering production to India, but i cant remember where i read that.

I have read that somewhere and after talking to a couple of kit dealers last weekend it would appear that this relates to Airfix only.

Also I believe that Corgi I made by Sanda Kan.

Regards

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
ACME/Railtop/LS Models are made by Modern Gala.

·
Registered
182 Posts
But the Piko Hobby range are made in China (I do not know at which factory)

Marklin/Trix have factories in Germany and Hungary, and also subcontract much of the rolling stock to China.

Roco now make most of their products in Eastern Europe, I think Slovakia. I guess the same will happen to Fleischmann after the takeover is complete.

Ashley

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (ashleyh @ 22 Feb 2008, 23:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>But the Piko Hobby range are made in China (I do not know at which factory)

Marklin/Trix have factories in Germany and Hungary, and also subcontract much of the rolling stock to China.

Roco now make most of their products in Eastern Europe, I think Slovakia. I guess the same will happen to Fleischmann after the takeover is complete.

Ashley

Hi Ashley,

Piko is currently building their own factory in China.

Roco is being made in Slovakia and Romania, and Fleischmann´s production is said to be relocated to Romania.

Gützold engines are made in Zwickau/Germany.

Heljan manufactures in Sondersoe/Denmark and China.

Hag models are from Mörschwil/Switzerland.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (ashleyh @ 22 Feb 2008, 22:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Roco now make most of their products in Eastern Europe, I think Slovakia. I guess the same will happen to Fleischmann after the takeover is complete.

Ashley

Time will tell about FLM but we have not had any problems with QC with anything Roco from Slovakia.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (ashleyh @ 22 Feb 2008, 22:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Roco now make most of their products in Eastern Europe, I think Slovakia. I guess the same will happen to Fleischmann after the takeover is complete.

I thought it was Slovenia......

Regards

1 - 19 of 19 Posts