Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to start a thread to try and pool our knowlage about which manufacturers use which factories or manufacturers.

I will kick things off and if you know anything different then please discuss it or correct or add to the list.

Sanda Kan
Hornby
Atlas
Lifelike
Haidar?? (it used to say on their website that they had their own huge factory but frankly i dont believe them.)

I think the atlas stuff and lifelike diesels and the newer generation of hornby diesels (50, 60, 56) may be made in a different place to the hornby steamers?
i am also not sure about what has happened since Horizon hobbies seem to have purchased evrything in the US. can i add Athearn to this list?
Also i am almost certain that some Roco stuff was also made there about 10 years ago. I know they have (had?) their own factory but are they also using the Sanda Kan plant?

Kader
Bachmann Branchline
Bachmann China
Lilliput
Tenshodo (the plastic products & spuds)
Bachmann US & Spectrum

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
QUOTE (Ravenser)This could well include some of the Australian companies like Eureka , Aucision Austrains etc - and they may well use more than one manufacturer , put different models with different factories and so on

I had forgotten about Eureka. i believe their moulds were comissioned from Kader.

QUOTE (Doug)I was visiting Hornby last week and was told about the Chinese factories. The Hornby representative said that they now managed their factories in China themselves so that they have full control over production.

I assume this is different to how they started out when they didn't have control over production.

Interesting.
I supose their range is now big enough to justify it. I heard when they first took over the Lima range they were having to fight for production slots! I think i heard somewhere recently that they were even concodering transfering production to India, but i cant remember where i read that.

Can anyone add any info about the US companies. obviously roundhouse and athearn will be made in the same place. but where? is there anything else that is also part of that group?

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that one. i had never heard of them untill then.

Just to clarify i think i have just found out that Sanda kan actually owns K-line. (the model maker and possibly the shipping company aswell.) and the products are distributed in the US by Lionel. God that relationship is confusing!!

Peter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.