Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
In depth idiot
8,253 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 22 Feb 2008, 08:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>..I think the atlas stuff and lifelike diesels and the newer generation of hornby diesels (50, 60, 56) may be made in a different place to the hornby steamers?
Nothing to add to your main list, but that particular comment caught my eye as an interesting aspect.

As seen from the UK there are distinct differences in design between diesel and steam in both manufacturers.

Bachmann (just the Blue Riband branded items)
Steam locos: accurate, well detailed and finished bodies; good chassis layout and motor mounting, considerable variability in motor types and dimensions.
Diesel locos: fairly accurate bodies with minimal detail in adequate finish (significant improvement from class 66 introduction); highly standardised simple and effective twin bogie chassis design template applied universally.

Hornby (model oriented product since 1999)
Steam locos: accurate, very well detailed and finished bodies, standardised chassis layout of weak mechanical design.
Diesel locos: accurate, very well detailed and finished bodies, standardised chassis layout of good design.

In both cases it leads me to suspect that different teams or workshops are used for steam and diesel types, particularly the mechanisms.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.