Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for fun I thought I'd ask this question since I've been thinking about this recently. What is the best locomotive that you can't find in OO scale?

·
C55
2,457 Posts
Bachmann 9F, oil-fired Longmoor Mil Railway, with the 2 Westinghouse Brake Pumps and full blue, red and gold livery. What a sight - and - sound!!

Fantastic sight and a film star too. So many went through the Longmoor Military Railway Operating Course, of which driving the oil fired General Kitchener must have been almost everyone's favourite. [A good job it wasn't coal fired, it was quite thirsty!]

Kind regards

Julian

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
(Greyvoices @ 18 Mar 2018, 22:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would be happy if Dapol finally produced the Class 21/29 ...... D61XX...
Provided they reproduce the appearance correctly, I'll be with you there. Unfortunately the EP sample on Dapol's site fails to capture the very distinctive body shape, most markedly all around the bottom of the body at bufferbeam level. Dapol have acknowledged that there is work to do, so it is wait and see...

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I would definitely like to see the W! 'Hush Hush' 4-6-4 being produced by the likes of Hornby or Bachmann! I know you can get a South Eastern Finecast kit but I'm no kit builder so would happily pay for a RTR version of this awesome loco.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I would like to see some broad gauge locos. There would be some amazing examples of brilliant Victorian era engineering

·
Premium Member
6,007 Posts
I think Hornby could do a later version of the P2 with the Bugatti streamlining as they already have the chassis.

I have long liked the idea of an A2/1 although there were but 4 of them.

Bachmann have the GCR D11 so a D10 should be quite easy

an N5 0-6-2tank how about Oxford for this one.

sensible choice, my layout is heavily GCR and freight so;

Bachmann an O4/8 there were 99 of these marriage of O4 chassis to 100A - O1 boiler

and for fun

GWR rebuilt MSWJunc no 16 2-6-0 only one of these but it once stood in for a failed King! the first one no 14 did not last long.

A Highland River 4-6-0 'cos I love these

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Well, seeing as Southern stocks have improved lately, what about a K class 2-6-0 in late black BR livery.
They ran the freight on the South Coast line up until withdrawn. My primary School, South Lancing Primary adjoined the line, and we had WC/BB, K, Schools, E6 etc, and utterly brilliant place to be a young trainspotter.
The K class was a solid workhorse, one of Billinton's most successful classes.
Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Although available in kit form, I would love to see an ex-LNER A8 4-6-2T in RTR 00. Something to accompany the recently announced G5 by TMC and a common site on my local branch line in the North East. Might happen in future if the G5 sells well, so not expecting it anytime soon!

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
Any of the LNER's secondary power, mostly of pre-group designs, would be welome in truth. But I have to say that what with the N7 announced by Oxford, I am pretty much 'made up' for the time being.

(That there are also the prospects of the Stirling Single from NRM/Rapido, J70 from MR/Rapido, GN condition O2 from Heljan, renewed J39 and V2 from Bachmann, the NBL DE type 2 BoBo [aka class 21] from Dapol; and the temptations of the J36 from Hornby and 812 from Rails/Bachmann which I will probably purchase because I like the 0-6-0 as a genre: well really, my layout runneth over. Nine different traction models coming, six of which are a fit for my modelling location is riches beyond the dreams of avarice...)

·
Horseman of the Apocalypse
166 Posts
It would be nice to see Bachmann produce A2 No. 60539 Bronzino. 60539 was the only class member with a standard boiler, Kylchap blastpipe and double chimney as opposed to the multiple-valve regulator of the other double-chimney A2s. It was always held to be the best of the class and the equal of an A1. The Bachmann single-chimney boiler could be easily adapted to model this interesting loco. Also, Hornby could, by modifications to the cylinders and valve gear and the addition of an extra pair of smoke deflectors, easily model P2 No. 2002 Earl Marischal, the second and presumably more successful member of the class.

SWFRS

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I agree with Maz066 - I'd love some of the old broad gauge locos. The one in his pic looks like a Hawthorn class with 6' driving wheels. The one I'd really like (also a 2-4-0) but can't find a pic of on the internet is similar but with 7' driving wheels and straight boiler (plus dome), the A37 class, 2 of which were built 1888, withdrawn in 1892 to be converted to standard gauge but that never happened so scrapped 1894 (according to my book, that is). Such a shame

Other than that, hows about a Crampton?

·
Registered
118 Posts
pre grouping, LSWR T3 (or indeed any of the Adams 4-4-0s) LNWR lady of the Lake single, Midland spinner 4-2-2. If Rapido can do a Stirling single then these should be possible as well!

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** Kirtley 700 class double-framed 0-6-0 would be nice... as would the 800/890 class.

Ideal candidate for any livery from early Midland lined green, through later MR colours to, LMS and into BR. - so a big enough range / life to amortise tooling costs too :) :)

This image is of a lovely kit build by Jim SW from his thread elsewhere on the forum. (hope you do not mind me using it here Jim)

regards, Richard

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
(34030 Watersmeet @ 23 Mar 2018, 10:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>pre grouping, LSWR T3 (or indeed any of the Adams 4-4-0s) LNWR lady of the Lake single, Midland spinner 4-2-2. If Rapido can do a Stirling single then these should be possible as well!
I could write a list a yard long of extremely attractive pre-group designs worthy of a model, including the lovely MR outside frame 0-6-0 that Richard identifies. It is pleasing to see that the RTR manufacturers are picking up on this, and there are subjects aplenty to keep a dozen manufacturers busy as long as there are customers willing to punt the money...

On which subject and specific to the Stirling single: the volume to be produced is relatively small, perhaps smaller than the NRM hoped for? There was insufficient demand from the pre-orders to justify tooling the old Sturrock tender with which this loco was for so long paired, so only the regular Stirling pattern tender with which the locos operated when in regular service is to be produced. That indicates to me that the volume case for many of these lovely subjects may be 'slender'.

I hope that the demand holds up enough that we see a good many more oldies. Another particularly deserving one in the NRM is the very lovely SECR D class 4-4-0. Elegance in abundance, and a very successful design that resulted in a series of successful 4-4-0s for the SECR and SR, and that went on in service practically to the end of steam. I was a little surprised - and pleased as an enthusiast for all things Doncaster GNR - that the NRM went with the single ahead of this loco TBH.

·
What do I put here&#33;?&#33;
883 Posts
QUOTE (Maz066 @ 19 Mar 2018, 21:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would like to see some broad gauge locos. There would be some amazing examples of brilliant Victorian era engineering

I agree!
I used to help a friend with his BG 7mm layouts and it got me rather hooked for a while, being weak and all! This would be my favourite;
http://website.lineone.net/~cbwesson/GWR%20Rover.htm
The only problem is, what scale? Then, what gauge - something as good as 21mm gauge in 3mm scale?
I would say that the best we can hope for would be a decent kit, not too complex but still accurate enough to enable a very good representation.
Cheers,
John.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts