Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am working on a new 00 modern image layout, but before I get started am renewing my shed! Do you think 8' by 10' with the layout running around the walls is big enough?

Obviously I would like as big as I can get but I have to negotiate it with someone else! She agrees on this side what do you think?

Tom

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I suggest getting hold of a track plans book and decide which plan(s) you would most like to build. Then look at the size and compare it your shed allowance. Repeat until agreement is reached.

There have been quite a few photos of shed based layouts posted on the Forum. Probably the best known one is RJR "Springhead Junction". Theopening line is:-

"My OO layout lives in the 8'x6' shed at the bottom of the garden"

If you haven't seen this topic, I highly recommend it.

David

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I have my shed at the bottom of the garden. I guess I have a bit more space that you as mine is 36'x20' and I need it bigger.That means the loss of another area of garden. Ahh the decisions we have to make.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

·
Registered
233 Posts
Tom,

By the biggest shed than you can afford and then some.

Lack of space is the greatest regret of almost every modeller.

Even if you have to forgo buying locos for a year, it will be worth it.

Tim

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Ozzie21 @ 13 Jan 2009, 07:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have my shed at the bottom of the garden. I guess I have a bit more space that you as mine is 36'x20' and I need it bigger.That means the loss of another area of garden. Ahh the decisions we have to make.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia
If it lessens the amount of lawn I have to mow then it's a good thing.
Bigger is better with sheds and garages for layouts.

·
Registered
100 Posts
18'x12' Tom if you can get away with it
You could always say after putting it all together that the shippers made a mistake and have only charged you for the smaller one
Downside of course is she who should be obeyed may feel it has teh room to store/use things other than what you have in mind.

Seriously though, go for as big as you can get away with.

Charley

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My train room is 6 meters by 5 meters (I think thats about 20 feet by 17 feet give or take) and it is IMHO about 3 meters short (9m x 5m).

Bigger is better

John

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
In addition to getting as much area as possible in the shed, maximise the ingenuity too. One of the cleverest ideas I have seen is arranging return loops outside the shed on covered stages. With bushes planted underneath these were not visually intrusive, and with the covers removable at one side there was an outdoor 'mainline view' of passing trains from a nearby seating area. It also enabled the layout plan in the covered area to be 'walk in' rather than requiring a duck under to get access to a centre operating well. (The builder was thinking well ahead to a possibly less flexible old age.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts