Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys as you well know I am wanting to convert my dc layout to run dcc.

The query I have is I am wanting to make sure I have the right kind of wire so what kind of wire are you guys using to send power to the track and where is the best place to get it from.

I have been to Maplins and seen all the cable they have been I go in with nothing but money and I come out with the same.

·
Registered
201 Posts
use what ever wire is on the layout at the moment just connect it all up to a bus bar. I use 2 pieces of 2.5mm twin and earth in red and black, with all of the dropper wires on to these. I then ran 2, 1mm, stranded wires in to the control box off the bus bar. All of my dropper wires are normal, everyday wires that you can get from any store (B&Q, Maplins, Express Models, etc).

Hope this helps

Alistair

·
Premium Member
2,841 Posts
Fpr my new garage layout I have bought 10m of mains cable with 2.5mm2 thick wires for £8.98 from B&Q. As suggested on someone's blog, I shall strip off the outer grey plastic and use the red and black inside wires for the bus, set about 3" apart. The bare copper earth wire from the reel I will use to make the droppers. They should not need any covering as they will be short and well apart but I will put on some sleeving if necessary.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have covered this here with some pictures etc....... DCC Wiring
Note: that now you will probably only be able to purchase mains Twin & Earth (T&E) cable in the "Harmonised" conductor colours of Blue & Brown instead of the older Red & Black. Though of course this makes no difference to anything other then a colour change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts