Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just in the process of finishing a shed to house my railway. I have just spent the last week trying to find a source for a decent workbench, and not had much luck. I am looking for something sturdy without breaking the bank! Can anyone recommend a good supplier? What do you use?

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
You might try 'Machine Mart' who have a variety of workbenches in their catalogue www.machinemart.co.uk - but they do not seem to have shops in NI. Or may be they do a different catalogue for your part of the world?

For model railway work a small domestic table can be adapted, or use a 'Workmate' type folding bench - this will be adequate for 0, 00 and smaller gauges.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yes, much cheaper to build your own. Plenty of free plans on the internet too. Nice bit of MDF, some 2"x2"s, a few coach bolts. Crash and a bang and it's done,(either that or it's all over the floor).

Seriously though, I knocked a very nice one up in less than 3 hours and I wouldn't say I was the worlds greatest craftsman.

·
Registered
55 Posts
hi
i bought a couple of units from this company dont know if its what you after but worth a look
www.bigdug.co.uk/
the units can be taken apart/put together quite easy im not accociated with the company just a satisfied customer

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I use two computer desks. Not the horrible lightweight things but a couple of heavy duty ones I picked up at $200 a piece. Nice and solid with 25mm thick tops and of course all those add on cupboards for hiding things in.

Ozzie21

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Mine is made from an old wooden dressing table, a solid door and some offcuts of timber. Total cost about £2.00. As an aside second hand furniture stores often have old wooden furniture they can not sell - It's always worth asking them as it saves them having to pay to dump items.

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, some very useful replies. I have ordered the book MMaD (Everyone time you suggest something I seem to end up buying it!) has recommended along with another one specifically on making workbenches ( The Workbench Book: A Craftsman's Guide to Workbenches for Every Type of Woodworking by Scott Landis ) so will report back on what I think.

I will take some time reasearching the other ideas!

Thanks again,

Rob

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Rob you will enjoy this book it really is excellent so money well spent. A few years back a friend of mine build himself a railway room on top of a large double garage, This measured 35ft x 20ft nice size isn't it. He was discussing the bench work and I was horrified to hear he intended to build out of conventional 1" x 2 " framing. I bought Lynn Westcott's book on bench work as a present, and pleaded with him to read it. He went L girder in the end, and now had a magnificent model railway which is built on a solid foundation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts