Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine would have been a mail sorter on the Night Mail, as in the British Transport Film.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
The England football manager would make a suitable baggage porter.

Me? I would go along with ticket inspector also. If I was to be a train driver a shunting yard or freight train driver would be ideal as I guess this is less intense than main line high speed passenger work. However watching a DVD of the Eurostar from Paris to London from the drivers cab I am absolutely amazed that the driver in the DVD does not fall asleep as all that catenary passing either side at high speed is a little hypnotic.

A nice little number also would be tourist guide/host on The Orient Express.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
In depth idiot
7,685 Posts
I would want to be in operational management, so it is probably 'the traffic' for me.

QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 22 Nov 2007, 02:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My initial reaction was to say train driver but then I thought about it and I would rather look out the windows and not have to pay attention to anything. So probably inspector.
Not inspector then! I should go for main board director if that's what you want. You get a 'golden ticket' for unlimited travel on your railway, and a free lunch from the first class restaurant wherever you go. It will be necessary to turn up at board meetings, and listen to endless people droning on; but travel to and from will be by train, so it is not all bad. There will be a nice lunch at those also. Behave nicely and there is every chance of your name appearing on the side of a locomotive. With any luck, there will be a presentation model given to you as a memento of the naming ceremony.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
It depends what period in the railway's history we're looking at. I think I'd go for being a signalman provided it was in an interesting manual box - I'd not like to be shut up in a modern power signalling control room with little prospect of seeing the actual trains.

An alternative would have been in the research labs at Derby in BR days, having been a scientist most of my working life.

Regards,
John

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Many years ago I actually applied to work on the railways as a Station Technical Officer with the then Southern Region, passed all the medicals etc but then BR in it's wisdom scrapped the post so I don't know what it woulsd have entailed. I often wonder would I have enjoyed it?

As to what job I would have liked to do, then assuming that we can pick any period in time then I would have to choose Station Master on a medium sized station in the days of the big four. Failing that then shed foreman at a big shed so I could stop all the spotty trainspotters trying to sneak past my office.

Wishful thinking?

Regards

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 22 Nov 2007, 20:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I would want to be in operational management, so it is probably 'the traffic' for me.
Not inspector then! I should go for main board director if that's what you want. You get a 'golden ticket' for unlimited travel on your railway, and a free lunch from the first class restaurant wherever you go. It will be necessary to turn up at board meetings, and listen to endless people droning on; but travel to and from will be by train, so it is not all bad. There will be a nice lunch at those also. Behave nicely and there is every chance of your name appearing on the side of a locomotive. With any luck, there will be a presentation model given to you as a memento of the naming ceremony.
Sold,

I'll do that then.

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
I'm pleased that John Webb mentioned wanting to have been a signalman in a manual box. My father, who is now 93 was one for most of his working life. He started in the early days of the LMS, then BR and finished up at the main signal box at St. Pancras. Thankfully the automated boxes came in just as he was getting too old to pull the old levers. He retired in 1978.

My own choice of railway job would be the person who checked how comfortable were the first class seats and the sleeping car beds.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Robert,
Interesting to hear of your father's activities. Did he ever work at St Albans South box? I'm a member of the Trust currently restoring this box and we're always on the lookout for people who knew it because they worked there.
(See www.sigbox.co.uk for more information.)
Regards,
John

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
Sorry for the late reply John. I kept forgetting to ask Dad when we were on the phone but I've just been to see him for a couple of days and remembered. Unfortunately he says that he never did work at St Albans; the nearest he got was Stevenage.
Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Thanks. I'll put something up when the official opening has been arranged around Easter next year. After that we should be open regularly.

Regards,
John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts