Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this might be an idea to put into practice. Basically, you can put down whatever you've bought this weekend and, if possible, where, how much, why and are you pleased with it...

Enjoy!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I haven't bought anything this weekend yet and possibly might not do. The most recent thing i bought though was a pair of second hand lima HST power cars in GWT merlin livery best described as playworn and unboxed. For £30 I thought it was a bargain and I bought them because i also have some coaches in this livery, albeit the loco hauled type i figured if i don't look too hard i might not notice. For the price I am pleased with them and find the lima ones to be better looking than the old hornby version.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Peco finescale electrofrog single slip; 2 large radius right hand points; 1 large radius left hand point and 5 yards of track. It's being laid now and soon I will learn the awful truth of what happens when you reverse a rake of 6 Hornby Gresleys across it at full speed.

I also fitted in a trip to Alexandra Palace and apart from my entrance ticket, a portion of chips and a tin of pop, kept my wallet in my pocket. My wife bought 3 DVDs of continental railways because she enjoys them as travelogues.

David

·
Registered
96 Posts
4 PECO RH Electrofrog points
5 bags of scatter
3 lengths of 2x1

Pleased with it all - a new layout is on the horizon!

·
Registered
65 Posts
A visit to Alexandra Palace exhibition resulted in me supporting the various trade stands!!

I'm building a layout in 4mm based on Colchester c 1948-52 and always on the lookout for unusual rolling stock to add to my stock. So a the chance to buy a second-hand Bachmann Ivatt 2P 2-6-2T in LMS livery, cheaper than E-bay, was a must. All I've got to do is change the number on the smokebox and cab side to 41200, leaving the LMS on the tank sides.

The story goes that, the Chairman of the Railway Executive was travelling to Aldeburgh to play golf, when the branch engine failed. After an hours delay the relief engine set fire to the golf club, much to the annoyance of the members! For the rest of the summer of 1949 and 1950 41200 was drafted to Ipswich shed from Bangor in North Wales to work the Aldeburgh branch!

A photo of the engine by the late Dr Ian C Allen appears in the Great Eastern Album on the branch in August 1949 - has anyone seen any other photos of the loco dated c1949/50?

One final comment regarding the exhibition, I was surprised there was not at least one stand selling "bits" like sprung buffers for locos and wagons etc in the main it was rtr. Shame the EM Gauge Society didn't have its trade stand.

Regards

Paul

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I bought peace of mind by not buying anything - for once.

I tried to get a Class 35 GE Diesel (South African) on eBay, but it went over my limit... two were sold this weekend, one for £42 and the other for £155!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I bought an EWS BYA steel carrier, Renewed my Hornby collectors club membership, Hornby 2006 wagon and BR Research Ixion ltd edition (From Modelzone).

·
Registered
763 Posts
What do you reckon to the model of Ixion the Jennings? according to the blurb on their advert the bodyshell has been updated by bachmann to include the bonnet line they managed to forget first time round.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Visited Ally Pally on Saturday and purchased a Dapol IMS Milk Tanker (missed by my LHS) at Railwayana, a Bangor & Aroostook State of Maine Products Boxcar and Milwaukee Road Steel Coil Carrier from LSWR Models a German book on Garden Railways from Modelmasters and the "Network SouthEast Years" book just out from Train Crazy - great book, fantastic pictures but great pity that not a hardback book (just like Ian Allan do for around £16.00)

Also had a look at the MLV pre-production mock-ups on the Railwayana stand - looks very good - should come with a DCC plug and maybe lighting on some versions. Green versions may be out by year-end with other more complicated livery versions following in 2007 - looks like it's green, blue and grey and NSE versions at least for me

Didn't think much of the catering arrangements at Ally Pally so dropped into Starbucks at Aldwych on my way to Charing Cross to relax with a White Chocolate Latte and toasted Chicken Pesto Sandwich - great way to unwind!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had my usual shufty around our local electrical aladdins cave (the sort of place where you can buy 100 metres of cable for £1) I was looking for push buttons to operate point motors. No problem says emporium chappy, 30P each, what colour buttons? I bought a shed load. The best prices I have seen in Maplins is around £2 each.

Brian

·
Paul Hamilton aka "Lancashire Fusilier"
844 Posts
Not all switches are created equal however with the spring mechanism in the pushbutton sometimes a little less robust than you may like within 12 months time. Good luck to you though

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I was at TrainWest in Chippenham. I enjoyed it very much, particularly Victoria Quay brilliant layout for a shunting plank. Grabbed some Cornerstone kits for my wife to build for my proposed American switching layout, some tools, a few DVD's, a few decoders for my American stock, and met up with some old friends. Lovely afternoon out. Its so nice not to be part of the working class
.Highly recommended.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I just received my Hornby White Knight in the mail and went through the trauma of installing a decoder in it. When they say DCC ready they only mean there's a plug they don't mean there is anywhere to put it. I ended up having to put it in the tender.
The loco is fantastic interms of detail. One of the best I've seen.

·
Registered
267 Posts
QUOTE (spongebob @ 3 Apr 2006, 19:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What do you reckon to the model of Ixion the Jennings? according to the blurb on their advert the bodyshell has been updated by bachmann to include the bonnet line they managed to forget first time round.

Sorry it has taken sometime to get back to you on this (Been busy with uni work / packing for going home tomorrow)

After giving it a quick test i can say it certainly looks very nice and runs quite well (Needs running in at the moment but nothing problematic so far). Not sure what the bonnet line is as such as i'm not familiar with these engines but i can see a line that runs just under the top of the nose in line with the side windows so guessing thats what it is. Slight shame bachmann didn't opt to put lights in - There is clearly enough space to add them and would improve the model 100%. Other than that it came with all the usual bachmann detailing parts for the couplings (And this comes with the jumper cables that require you to fit them) as well as a pack of etched plates.

All in all its a very nice model and i'm glad i brought one.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Yep they've reinstated that glaring omission then. It's annoying that though the old mainline based model had lights the new one doesn't. I've got 44008 and with the end doors you don't notice the bonnet line so much.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Remember this little eBay number that sold for 121 Euros (£84).

I just picked up these for just over £50.

Lest see if I can make anything interesting with them...

eBay is running a little slow tonight. Don't leave your bids for the final seconds or you may just loose them. I had about a 15 second delay on buton click to screen refresh.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts