Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and I hope that someone can help me with this problem. I have put 'weathering' into a search of this forum but a quick look suggests that none seems to deal with the specific point mentioned in the title.

Last year I bought two pre-weathered engines which I think look a lot better than previously bought shiny ones. I have decided to try my own weathering on the older ones. I think that I know how to weather the bodies but I have no idea what to do with the wheels and connecting rods, etc, some of which shine like mirrors. Will someone please share their good way of doing it?

Cheers, Robert.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
There is some sort of chemical blackening agent you can buy, but I can't remember the name.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Hi Robert,

My friend is using acriylic paints thined with alcohol and a bit of touch of chalk powders of varying colors for the shades on the rods & wheels:

Baykal

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE There is some sort of chemical blackening agent you can buy, but I can't remember the name.

Do a search for "C & L Finescale" and you'll find both a source of chemical blackening agents and an advice sheet of "dos and don'ts".

Ebaykal:
Those pictures are amazing
. I had to look really hard to decide if they were models or not until I noticed the flanges on the front
bogies

David

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Carr's do a range of 'stains'..ie chemical blackeners.....covering different types of base metals...but 'cross-kitting' can produce interesting results.

''Gun blue''....is one such chemical....sold via gunshops, etc. [Birchwood Casey??]..also available from the likes of Mainly Trains [before he closes for good?]

these chemicals can be applied all over the wheel, including treads, as it does not interfere with electrical pickup.

achieving the 'oily sheen' is difficult....Humbrol produce a paint range called 'metalcote' which [in the appropriate shade, of course] can be applied, the burnished [with a fibreglass pencil??] which achieves a 'sheen' on the surface...for rods, etc.

The frames need attention too....with powdered colours to represent the texture of heated steel, etc.

May I suggest you actually spend a quiet evening or two reading the following book, before you get 'stuck in?''

the book is

''The Art of Weathering'', by Martyn Welch. ISBN 1 874103 11 9

After all, a proffessional weather=artist knows all the tricks? [try Amazon??]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts