Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I went to the National Festival Of Railway Modelling Exhibition at Peterborough yesterday and picked up a new Hornby 'OO' LNER Class A4 Falcon locomotive which myself and my son have been running on our layout.

Things were going well yesterday and most of today and then disaster strikes. Basically the engine kept getting stuck on a couple of sets of points. I say stuck but it really looked like the points were set too high and were hitting the train. Very weird especially as our Class 37429 diesels runs on the track a treat.

Upon closer inspection we found that we had a problem on one of the four wheels on the front bogie.

As you can see from the picture below the metal rim has come away from the rest of the wheel and this must be why the train seemed to be running low. Now we've only had our set since June and we've not had to perform any surgery on our trains yet so I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on fixing this problem. Can I fix the wheel or do I need to buy a new bogie with wheels?

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers

Stuart

·
In depth idiot
7,681 Posts
Stuart,

Hornby are very good at sorting out these kind of defects.

Alternatively, a couple of little dots of superglue (cyanoacrylate) on the plastic wheel centre rim, and pop the metal tyre back on, wipe away any excess glue; and you are likely to have a repair good for the rest of the loco's life.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
This in a not uncommon fault with Hornby bogie wheels. Superglue is the best cure, however make sure that you check the back to back measurement of the wheelsets, as an incorrect setting here can continue to cause problems.

If the loco is new however, as suggested by others Hornby should replace.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Vespa @ 21 Oct 2008, 12:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello,
contacting Hornby is the best bet and they will I am sure send you a new bogie. Have you seen the Hornby website? It is Hornby's own dedicated site.
http://www.hornby.com/

Regards

Vespa

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I have contacted Hornby and their reply was:

QUOTE If you unscrew the front bogie, and then pull the wheel off the axle, you can then push the rim back on.
This part of the loco is quite tough and should not sustain any damage. If this does not work, let us know and we will send you out a replacement front bogie

I'm not sure that I would use the words push the rim back on but more force it back on!

Anyway that seems to work for now. If I get any more problems then I will do the same again and just add the one or two drops of superglue to keep it on.

Thanks again

Stuart

·
Keen railway enthusiast
1,027 Posts
QUOTE (smithsj1 @ 21 Oct 2008, 20:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I have contacted Hornby and their reply was:

I'm not sure that I would use the words push the rim back on but more force it back on!

Anyway that seems to work for now. If I get any more problems then I will do the same again and just add the one or two drops of superglue to keep it on.

Thanks again

Stuart

I think that they think that the tyre has come off. The TYRE being the metal part of the wheel coming away from the plastic hub. This is not the case and the whole wheel needs replacing. The easiest way for Hornby to deal with this is to supply a new bogie. I would contact them again and explain that the metal rim is in two pieces and broken up and not repairable. They will get you to either send it back or just send you one anyway.You cannot easily fix this yourself it is a defective part. Can you send the photo to them or put a link to this photo in your email?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Looking at the photo it is the tyre which has parted company from the wheel, and if this is the case then it should be able to be forced on as it is an interference fit. I would suspect that it was not pushed fully home initially.

I have never heard of tyres breaking as suggested above.

Regards

·
Keen railway enthusiast
1,027 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 22 Oct 2008, 16:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looking at the photo it is the tyre which has parted company from the wheel, and if this is the case then it should be able to be forced on as it is an interference fit. I would suspect that it was not pushed fully home initially.

I have never heard of tyres breaking as suggested above.

Regards

Hi, I have had another closer look at the photo and indeed it is the tyre that has parted company with the wheel centre. On first looks I only saw the rim flange. I agree that it may be able to push fit it back. My mistake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts