Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm about to get my first train set, it's a completley new to me so I am feeling a little lost. I'm thinking about getting the hornby east coast pullman set, is that a good place to start? I'm really looking for this to be a new hobby so it will be set up on a board in the den. Any advice for a complete beginner would be very welcome.

I did go to a train shop this morning & spent ages having a good look round. I was hoping to get some advice there but all I was told was not to use the track mat although I could use that layout, put in on a board that I was advised to paint grey first.

Many thanks, Anna

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I've ordered the book & have decided to go ahead & get the Hornby East Coast Pullman set with track pack extensions C & D. Do I need to put underlay down under the track? I'm off to a discount store so need a shopping list...

Many thanks, Anna

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice about the underlay. I've now got the train set still in it's box until my toddler goes to bed!

What about the baseboard? My husband said all I need is some chipboard the right size from B&Q but I'm guessing it might not be as simple as that? He's all set to go & buy it but I don't want to make a mistake so once again any adice would be welcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to everyone's advice I now have my baseboard set up in the den & I've just put the track together to have a quick play before I get it all set in place. Frustratingly one of the engines is faulty so I'll need to get that dealt with but the other one is running fine much to the delight of my toddler.

I've been to a couple of model railway exhibitions & have some more planned over the next few weeks so I can get some ideas & hopefully learn a few things along the way. Thankfully my husband is happy to be dragged along & is starting to get quite involved himself.

I appreciate the warm welcome, thanks everyone

Anna

1 - 4 of 4 Posts