Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
I been model rail enthusiast for near on 50 years, and this question has only just popped up, at which point on 00 gauge set track work, is the dimension for the radius taken? is it taken from 1) the outer rail, 2) middle of both rails, or 3) the inner rail? or is it some other point on the track, i expect theres lots of you who are thinking thats an easy one to answer, but i just dont know.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Track radius is measured to the centre between the rails.

Hornby separates curved set track by 67mm. 1st radius: 371mm, 2nd radius: 438mm and 3rd radius: 505mm.

Tillig separates curved set track by 59mm. 1st radius of 366mm, 2nd radius: 425mm, 3rd radius: 484mm and 4th radius: 543mm.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for that reply Doug, How could i have got through near on 50 years with model railways and not known that? Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
A query provoked by the above - do set curve guides, sold by several companies and usually applied to the outside of the track, allow for the distance from the track centre to the outside of the rail? Or are they the actual radius quoted?
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
536 Posts
QUOTE A query provoked by the above - do set curve guides, sold by several companies and usually applied to the outside of the track, allow for the distance from the track centre to the outside of the rail? Or are they the actual radius quoted?
John
I have never seen "Trackseter" type gauges used on the outside of track?? Always cliped into the centre between rails! The radi quoted on a Tracksetter i.e. 24" etc is the rad. to the centre of the track

QUOTE Tillig separates curved set track by 59mm. 1st radius of 366mm, 2nd radius: 425mm, 3rd radius: 484mm and 4th radius: 543mm.
Tilling 1st rad is a bit tight isnt it??

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Thanks for that, Brian. I've never used them so didn't realise they could go between the rails.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like i was not the only one not sure where the radius dimension was taken from? its also suprising how a question like this leads to other questions? just when we think we know it all, some thing pops up that knocks us of our tracks. Ahhh model railways, why bother with any thing else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts