Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a forum search for this, but could not find anything....

I have noticed that a lot of people use cork sheet to pin the track down to, and after looking at ontracks and other online stores, it seems that it is hugely expensive.

There must be cheaper places to buy it from, maybe it is used in sound insulation or something? (i dunno
)

Is there anywhere I can buy it cheaper? in larger rolls, or even smaller sheets, maybe flooring tile size...

Any ideas on alternatives if its not obtainable cheaper?

Thanks,

Pete.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (hoarp001 @ 18 Dec 2006, 12:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I did a forum search for this, but could not find anything....

I have noticed that a lot of people use cork sheet to pin the track down to, and after looking at ontracks and other online stores, it seems that it is hugely expensive.

There must be cheaper places to buy it from, maybe it is used in sound insulation or something? (i dunno
)
Is there anywhere I can buy it cheaper? in larger rolls, or even smaller sheets, maybe flooring tile size...
Any ideas on alternatives if its not obtainable cheaper?

Thanks,

Pete.
If you're in Ozz then you can get one square metre sheets from Clarke Rubber for $5. I bought a fair bit a couple of weeks ago. It's about two mils thick so you may want to double it up but still a bargain.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cork Tiles are sold at B&Q,FocusDiy,Wickes and prices are from £5.99 to £8.99 i think,but i get mine from Focus as they are cheaper and they come in packs of 9 and measure 300mm x 300mm x 3.2mm.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My layout uses floor tiles 300x300mm 3mm self adhesive, in packets of 9, from Homebase £5.99.
Money can be saved if obtained from Homebase special discount days.

·
Registered
982 Posts
These floor tiles are certainly better value ,but I came across some cork sheet (maybe only 2mm) in an artists shop the other day. Apparently it is used as backing for pictures.

Russell

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, ive got a freind that works in a picture framers... if they use cork, they would have it... Im going to b and q tomorrow so Il have a look...

Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts