Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking a lead from Pedro's NRM thread...

Hornbys new Staniers are really excellent but not the most ideal diagrammes to have chosen.... Bachmanns coaches are "OK" but not state of the art for 2008.

I'd like to see the following: all corridor stock...

A Stove R and a vestibule third to properly complete the dining car sets.
Midland/LMS Period 2 ist and 3rd class sleepers -
a Stanier Sleeping car
(NO respectable WCML long distance express can be done without sleepers)
A couple of added "MORE common Stanier diagrammes" to fill out a proper coach set
a couple of more standard perhaps PERIOD 2 pre stanier diagrammes - large window stock a-la the rivarossi effort which looked spectacular in period 2 lining!
and... for the North/Scots lines... 6 wheel bogie Pullmans in the "LMS inherited" diagrammes in Crimson lake.

Richard

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Yes to all of the above along with fully expaning the period 3 staniers to allow better rakes to be built up.

Also, i'd like to see some push-pull stock and autocoaches for branchline running.

Rob

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd like (which is, I suppose, the same as saying I "need") to see a selection of Thompson LNER coaching stock to current standards - that is, with flush glazing, properly detailed roof areas, capable of close coupling, decent interior detail with illumination, and perhaps even corridor connections which fill the annoying gap between vehicles.

I'd also like to see Gresley and Thompson non-corridor non-articulated suburban stock to similar standards (except for the corridor connections, obviously).

·
Registered
342 Posts
What about some modern standard mark 3's both loco hauled versions and HST versions to go with the new power cars hornby are producing

·
Registered
293 Posts
QUOTE (bangerblueed @ 2 Apr 2008, 22:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What about some modern standard mark 3's both loco hauled versions and HST versions to go with the new power cars hornby are producing
I would like to see some self-propelled coaches, perhaps formed as 2 or 4 car sets. We could call them EMUs. I believe there are a lot of them about these days (and for the last 100 years in some cases)

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Pre-grouping stock would be nice- and I'm not specifying any geographical area.

Regards

·
In depth idiot
7,684 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 30 Mar 2008, 16:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>what about the 'window- whitening 'issue????

has that gone away??
What is the window whitening issue? I have about a hundred Bach coaches (Thompsons/subs/mk1's) bought over the past 15 years, and two dozen Hornby (Pullmans/Gresleys) over the past 5; and have seen no window whitening.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 30 Mar 2008, 14:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Taking a lead from Pedro's NRM thread...

Hornbys new Staniers are really excellent but not the most ideal diagrammes to have chosen.... Bachmanns coaches are "OK" but not state of the art for 2008.

I'd like to see the following: all corridor stock...

A Stove R and a vestibule third to properly complete the dining car sets.
Midland/LMS Period 2 ist and 3rd class sleepers -
a Stanier Sleeping car
(NO respectable WCML long distance express can be done without sleepers)
A couple of added "MORE common Stanier diagrammes" to fill out a proper coach set
a couple of more standard perhaps PERIOD 2 pre stanier diagrammes - large window stock a-la the rivarossi effort which looked spectacular in period 2 lining!
and... for the North/Scots lines... 6 wheel bogie Pullmans in the "LMS inherited" diagrammes in Crimson lake.

Richard

The Hornby LMS coaches are extremely good, I particularly like the underframes. I have an early Bachmann all 3rd Open (must have got it more than 20 years ago!) that goes with my Dapol (now Hornby) 12 wheel diner/restaurant. Bachmann also did (many years ago) some quite nice Period 2s but only the Compo and 3rd Brake. I expect that second hand stalls will still have examples of these.

·
Registered
894 Posts
We do really need some decent Mk3s and Mk2e/f coaches.

The old Lima Mk3s are imo the better of the two main options but are still flawed.

Given the number of Mk3s still in use, even the loco hauled ones, we should have better models on offer.

Perhaps the MK2 pullmans should be an option.

·
In depth idiot
7,684 Posts
QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 9 May 2008, 07:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We do really need some decent Mk3s ..
Hornby have their new HST power cars coming this autumn. It must be a fair bet that mk3's of matching quality will follow on, in correct HST and loco hauled forms. Hopefully Hornby will 'push the boat out' on these, and take the quality, features, and sensible selection of vehicle types seen on their Pullmans as a starting point.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yeah but they've not had the current Mk3s out that long, maybe if railroad beckons for them we'll see new ones. Unfortunately I can see, atleast in the short term, the current model in the new sets, please Hornby, prove me wrong.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I know Bachmann already do them but they are NEVER in stock anywhere ...

MK1 BR blue/grey Opens. We need more of them or perhaps Hornby could make some to compliment the solitary Brake Coach they currently offer.

Also I endorse the suggestions re MK3s above especially with the new HSTs pending.

·
In depth idiot
7,684 Posts
QUOTE (**** b @ 26 May 2008, 15:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Silver Jubilee Coronation Tourist Stock Thomson all types LNER TPO Gresley Suburbans
When it is considered that the A4 is never out of production, often with more than one manufacturer, the 'claim' for at least one of the streamlined sets to match does seem a good one. The sets for the Coronation and West Riding are the obvious choice simply by being more numerous, and other than the observation car for the Coronation set all run on the same articulated twin chassis. Survived in service (though not as complete sets) into the sixties, so there are three livery options too.

Generally, it's the sensible choice of types of vehicle that needs attention. If offering push-pull fitted locos, an appropriate driving vehicle would be good. Matching suburban coaches for locos built for that duty. A selection of the commonest and longest lived vehicle types, enabling realistic formations to be made up.

·
Registered
116 Posts
[quote name='34C' date='27 May 2008, 08:33' post='54003']
When it is considered that the A4 is never out of production, often with more than one manufacturer, the 'claim' for at least one of the streamlined sets to match does seem a good one. The sets for the Coronation and West Riding are the obvious choice simply by being more numerous, and other than the observation car for the Coronation set all run on the same articulated twin chassis. Survived in service (though not as complete sets) into the sixties, so there are three livery options too.

On the nail !!

the other sets went into BR use as well as the Coronation Stock

·
Registered
763 Posts
The trouble is that none of the streamline sets managed more than a few years in service as a set : the longest serving being the Silver Jubilee sets (mid 1935 - Aug 1939) while I don't think the West Riding Limited managed 2 years. They didn't reappear after the war as full sets - the carriages were scattered amongst the East Coast fleet , while some ended up on a Scottish secondary service - and then only from about 1950

Only a few people could actually run a set, and if you tried to make bits of a set , it wouldn't work

A4s probably spent a lot more of their career hauling mundane Mk1s than they did hauling the streamliner sets

1 - 19 of 19 Posts