Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

Can you advise please? I have a couple of reasonable Airbrushes and use them for just weathering purposes on stock. I thought it was time to go for a small quiet running compressor that does not cost the earth; as I know nothing about the compressor market do you have any tips to look out for or recommendations. I have perused eBay, and there are quite a few but the price difference is huge.

Many thanks

CFT

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi There,
I too have been looking round for a compressor to go with a Airbush set I got free with a rail mag subscription, I only wish to do weathering as well, I have seen one in Modelzone for about £80 and I found this site though ebay http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Airbrush-Uk don't know if this helps at all, if you find one please let me know.
Pete

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Try this old but as far as I can remember very instructive thread from a couple of years ago - use this link.

If that's not enough, try the Search option (top right of the screen) and select "Classic Forum Search". Use a keyword like compressor or airbrush and set the member's name to "pedromorgan". Peter has often shared his technique with us, so it is worth persevering to find his comments.

David

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 5 Jan 2009, 18:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Try this old but as far as I can remember very instructive thread from a couple of years ago - use this link.

If that's not enough, try the Search option (top right of the screen) and select "Classic Forum Search". Use a keyword like compressor or airbrush and set the member's name to "pedromorgan". Peter has often shared his technique with us, so it is worth persevering to find his comments.

David

Great link David. Thank you for your time.

Charley

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Thanks for posting that review Ian, I'll be looking into getting an airbrush and compressor in the next few months. You may have jsut got airbrush pro a sale!

Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought mine at B&Q for £34.95 and it is fantastic. I can adjust the pressure to suit which ever brush I am using and can maitain a steady 2.0 bar when the brush is operating with the compressor only kicking in ocassionally. Well worth the money

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi NAUCKALND,

Not thought of trying B&Q have you got a model number for your compressor and was it from one of the B&Q depots or are they in the smaller branches.

Cheers Pete

·
Registered
526 Posts
Check out the latest Expo deal. It does include another brush but at £100, it is good value. I paid more than that for my Expo supplied compressor which has adjustable pressure, a water trap and a compensation tank. Nice kit but a tad noisy and needed a fair degree of running in to get good performance.

Italian I think from the instruction sheet (which was more a parts list).

·
Registered
364 Posts
Have you considered the possibility of using an old car tyre [still on the wheel] ....pump it up to about 20/25 psi with a cheap 12v compressor and it'll last ages.
The only downside to using an old car wheel/tyre that I can see is having to lug it up a ladder if your layout [or workshop] is in a loft which is only accessible by ladder.
I've quoted 20/25 psi as thats the pressure I used to use some years ago when I used to do "Custom Painting" on cars & motorcycles [with "Cellulose" based paints].....obviously,you will need to experiment to find the exact pressure to give you the results you want.
I still have my airbrush ....but I prefer my loco's and RS "pristine".

hth
T.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts