Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys so I have decided to go for the bachmann e-z for my first controller but now it comes to the chips.

I want to try a chip in one of my dcc (ready) locos either my class 60's or my virgin thunderbird.

I have been told to go the Lenz silver mini for my first chip as it is relatively cheap but I'm not sure. Can anyone give me an idea.

I've been told that the lenz silver mini chips are going to be around £12.00 is this true or can someone point me in the direction where I can get a chip that will fit into either my dapol/graham farish loco's please.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Here are some other possibilities :-

Try the Zimo MX620. It's not the cheapest, but probably one of the best N gauge. 27 GBP

Others may recommend a CT chip, but as I am not an N modeller I am not quite sure which would be the best. 25 GBP

Another high quality small chip is the Lokpilot Micro. 24 GBP

These are all in the 24 to 27 price range, I think, but you may find better prices if you check all the websites. These prices are only a a couple of pounds more than a Lenz Silver Mini (22 GBP), as far as I can see.

A good place to start is Digitrains which stocks all 3 types and you could ask them for a recommendation for your specific needs. There are othe stockists like Bromsgrove Models and DCC Supplies and SPROG, which you can find with a quick Google.

·
Trainee pensioner
212 Posts
I'm a newbie on the forum, so excuse me for shoving in

I don't recommend the e-z command controller as it is not capable of CV programming so therefore it's a waste of money buying exotic decoders for use with the e-z. I believe that it won't even allow acceleration and deceleration to be adjusted

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Petal @ 1 Sep 2007, 12:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm a newbie on the forum, so excuse me for shoving in

I don't recommend the e-z command controller as it is not capable of CV programming so therefore it's a waste of money buying exotic decoders for use with the e-z. I believe that it won't even allow acceleration and deceleration to be adjusted

That's ok petal I am just going to get used to using dcc with this unit and when the time comes I will upgrade the unit but I don't want to spend hundreds of pounds on a controller and not like dcc.

I've been quoted £13.00 for a Lenz mini silver 5 function decoder which will be great a starter chip and also give me the option of adding some other functions possibly adding sound in a few weeks.

I should be recieving the chip on Monday that is if my supplier can pick it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you get a Silver Mini for such a low price then go for it. I just looked at 3 or 5 websites in the UK and they all quote around 22 to 24 GBP. I can only assume you are buying from the US where the price is more like $25 to 27 and this comes out to 12 or 13 GBP.

Once you start fitting it into your N gauge loco you may run into problems of space, then you will need to look for a pysically smaller decoder.

Lenz Silver L 23mm x W 16.6mm x H 2.9mm
ESU Lokpilot Micro 13.5 mm x 9.0 mm x 3.5 mm
Zimo MX620 13,5mm x 8,8mm x 2,5 mm
CT DCX74Z 9 mm x 7 mm x 2,6 mm

Even in 00, I sometimes hit a problem with space and use the Zimo MX620. I decided some time ago to standardize on Zimo, just to simplify the maintenance and future-proof my investment. I can update the firmware anytime with the latest versions using the same h/w and s/w. Not all manufacturers support this kind of update, which can be useful later on, when you want computer control and bidrectional communication with your decoders and this needs a firmware update. CT are very small and techncially advanced, but the support is not very good, so I prefer to go with Zimo.

The size may become the deciding factor when you try the installation.

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
QUOTE (harkins77 @ 1 Sep 2007, 16:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's ok petal I am just going to get used to using dcc with this unit and when the time comes I will upgrade the unit but I don't want to spend hundreds of pounds on a controller and not like dcc.

I've been quoted £13.00 for a Lenz mini silver 5 function decoder which will be great a starter chip and also give me the option of adding some other functions possibly adding sound in a few weeks.

I should be recieving the chip on Monday that is if my supplier can pick it up tomorrow.

Wow £13.00 for a Lenz mini silver!!! That is cheap.

I have used the Digitrax DZ123, (although it does say in the instructions to remove the capacitor)
Also used TCS M1 decoders which I have found excellent!
The Lenz also works very well.
It's going to be more of an issue with size than anything to do with performance and thats the only time I will ever say that!......

Ian

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have gone for the gaugemaster mini chip which has been fitted into my mainline class 60 and it is running really well on the test track.

I'm also using it on the bachmann e-z controller as well so it's all good.

Now all I need to do is work out the wiring for the track and also to purchase some more chips for my other locos.

The chip cost me £22.00 and the lad in the shop only charged me £6.00 for fitting it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Dennis David @ 6 Sep 2007, 03:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Having paid $75-100 (including chip) to have chips installed in N-Scale locomotives this shop must really use child labour.

Nah the chap in the shop is very cool. He and his wife have the family business in Guisborough in Cleveland UK. It's called chuffers of guisborough and he also has a website for the shop which he is building up at the moment the page is available online but it is not up and running fully.

I can say that I am happy with them and they are always happy to help and will literally bend over backwards to help with practical advice and his prices aren't that bad either. His coffee's aren't bad either... lol.

He has even offered me to go with him to one of the next dealer days at one of the manufacturers so that I can have a play with some stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts