Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a Class 66, but I'm not sure which to go for, Dapol or Farish... Unfortunately, I know relatively little about them, so is one clearly better than the other? I had a quick look through the past posts but couldn't really find anything detailed about either version

One thing to bear in mind is that I plan to use DCC, so I'd prefer to have one that's easy to install - I believe the current Dapol ones need some extra work to get a decoder in, but am I right in saying that the new ones they are working on now will be DCC friendly?

So it boils down to:

Dapol current,
Dapol upcoming,
Graham Farish.

Thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
Dave,

I have both farish and dapol 66's and they are both good pullers and are both well detailed. the farish one has slightly better detailing and is DCC Friendly with labeled solder tabs which makes it quite easy to chip.

the new dapol one i think will be DCC Ready with a plug (if the voyager is anything to go by) and they are sorting out the details.

Alistair

·
is asleep
758 Posts
There is a third option! Lemke / Kato have also done the class 66 (although perhaps the scale is 1:160 instead of 1:148?)

The models currently available are here:
http://www.lemkecollection.de/categories.asp?cID=165
but I think they are for European operators. However being diesels and Channel Tunnel approved then there is no reason why they can't be found in the UK.

Features:
2 Schwungmassen
5-Pol Motor
Digitale Schnittstelle bzw. Digitale Wechselplatine
Wechsellicht weiss
gefederte Drehgestelle
Weitere Varianten in der Kategorie Class 66

Features in English:
2 flywheels
five pole motor
DCC ready
white headlights
drive on both bogies
other versions available

There are some nice liveries available, and anything from Kato is guaranteed to be very well made, especially on the inside. My BLS Re 465 from Kato has serious pulling power!

The class 66s (and two Re 460s) are for example available from M G Sharp:
http://www.mgsharp.com/Kato_European_N.htm

It would be interesting to know which is the best, Farish Dapol or Kato
?! At least you have a very wide choice...

I think the Kato model will be the most detailed and have the best drive but is probably quite a bit more expensive? (Much better to buy it from Europe than the UK I think). Just out of interest how do the prices compare for these manufacturers

Goedel

·
Registered
882 Posts
It would appear that KATO retailers in the UK are NOT permitted to pre-order or display the EMD Class 66
However, they are permitted to order for specific items where a customer wants them
The waiting times are between 6 and 8 weeks, a club local to me advises they ordered three
The loco comes back with a measurement of 135mm but that is not far off the UK, so I might take one of my Class 66s and compare!

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (M8 INTERNET @ 10 May 2007, 19:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It would appear that KATO retailers in the UK are NOT permitted to pre-order or display the EMD Class 66
In case they actually sell some?!

This can't be true if M G Sharp offer pre-ordering at the web address above...

And why would they not be permitted? That's hardly in modellers interests...

Goedel

·
Registered
882 Posts
QUOTE (goedel @ 11 May 2007, 01:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This can't be true if M G Sharp offer pre-ordering at the web address above...
And why would they not be permitted?
Retailer restrictions are quite common from the suppliers
Although M G Sharp are selling them on their website, a website is recognised as an international mail order system and so would be exempt
If you go to their shop I would doubt you will see any on display
However, KATO may have changed their policy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts