Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I just found my 25 years old train models:). They are TT scale (was popular behind the iron curtain during the cold was). Anyways most of the wagons and locos are in extremely good shape, even have their boxes:). So I decided to build a new layout from scratch and go DCC. Yes, I know that I wont be able to use my old locos, but that is not a problem. My question is which DCC system should i pick, Roco's mutlimouse and Lenz's Set 100? I know, that the Roco system is also made by Lenz. From what I gathered Lenz's system is somewhat more advanced, while Roco's is more userfriendly and like the cotnroller much more then Lenz's.

Any advice which I should pick?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have experience of both systems, and while the Lenz is a little more advanced capability wise it's not as intuitive to use as the Multimaus. That's not to say it's hard to use, it's just that the Multimaus is easier to learn!

Although Roco have the clear price advantage, I'll try to summarise what I see as the advantages of either system

Lenz Set 100:

Very precise control, better for shunting
Seperate programming track output
Double Heading
Software assisted advanced consisting (Both are capable of this, as both can use Programming On Main/Ops Mode Programming, but on the Multimaus you have to change CV19 manually)
Can drive a DC loco as loco 0 (not recommended, but can be useful)

Multimaus:

Nicer feel to controller (better ergonomics)
Backlit display
Library of locos with names, up to 5 characters
Easier to access point control and functions 10-20
A lot cheaper- available in N, TT and H0 start sets with train, track* and transformer for less than the price of a set 100, and frequently sold split from said sets for less than 100 Euros

*Track not included in the TT set

The Multimaus Pro should address some of the shortcomings, as it has a seperate programming track output and offers double heading, in addition to wireless control, a built in computer interface (complete with Rocomotion software), and for not much more than a Set 100. If you can wait a bit, I'd suggest this.

·
Registered
334 Posts
QUOTE (Kraptor @ 4 Feb 2009, 08:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi there!

I just found my 25 years old train models:). They are TT scale (was popular behind the iron curtain during the cold was). Anyways most of the wagons and locos are in extremely good shape, even have their boxes:). So I decided to build a new layout from scratch and go DCC. Yes, I know that I wont be able to use my old locos, but that is not a problem. My question is which DCC system should i pick, Roco's mutlimouse and Lenz's Set 100? I know, that the Roco system is also made by Lenz. From what I gathered Lenz's system is somewhat more advanced, while Roco's is more userfriendly and like the cotnroller much more then Lenz's.

Any advice which I should pick?

Hi and welcome, whever you are from?

There should not be a reason why your old locos can not be made to run on dcc, anything that works on dc can be converted to run on dcc.

What size layout are you looking to build and what do you want to happen? i.e. if its a short end - end layout, say 16 x 2 foot a simple system will surfice.
If you are planning a large tailchaser (25 x 16 foot) four track layout and want PC controll you will want a more advanced system.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Actually it is originated from the US.
An American engineer came up with this scale right after WWII, kind of ironic:)

Here are some pictures right after I found them and unpacked them:

pic01
pic02
pic03
pic04
pic05
pic06
pic07
pic08

BTW, thank you for the answers. Right now I am planning to build 2,5 m x 1,3 m layout. My main fear about gettin decoders into these old locos, that their engine wont be able to handle it. The locos are quite nicely detailed but their engines are not that great and I don't really want to blow them, I have sweet memories about these locos.

Also right now I am just looking for a "simple" DCC control and may be later on add some PC control for switching, street lights, etc. I've always used a knob kontroller and that is how the multimouse come into the picture.

·
In depth idiot
7,683 Posts
Go for the full system, the Lenz 100. For most people that will supply all the basic system capability required. It is designed to be expandable so that additional handsets like the Roco Lokmaus can be added, if these are preferred for the driving experience. I thought that was the way I would go, but very quickly discovered that the precise control from the LH100 keypad is much superior to an analogue style knob/lever/slider. When I need a second handset, it's going to be another LH100.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Good Heavens - Berliner Bahnen, I haven't seen much of that about recently, some nice bits in there though.

Regards

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, don't mock my precious TTs:)

BTW, I think I found what I have been looking for: ESU Ecos 50000.

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
QUOTE (Kraptor @ 4 Feb 2009, 18:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My main fear about gettin decoders into these old locos, that their engine wont be able to handle it. The locos are quite nicely detailed but their engines are not that great and I don't really want to blow them, I have sweet memories about these locos.

I would suggest that there is less chance of ruining a motor with a DCC chip in it than running it on DC. Provided it is fitted correctly (same for any loco for that matter) you should experience possibly improved running even for an old loco. I would suggest however some form of maintenance (cleaning and lubrication etc) before any running is done though.

If failing that you do not intend to run these old locos at all, is there a source to obtain new ones of the TT variety?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would suggest that there is less chance of ruining a motor with a DCC chip in it than running it on DC. Provided it is fitted correctly (same for any loco for that matter) you should experience possibly improved running even for an old loco. I would suggest however some form of maintenance (cleaning and lubrication etc) before any running is done though.

If failing that you do not intend to run these old locos at all, is there a source to obtain new ones of the TT variety?

I've already done the maintenance on couple of them, some of em runs like new:) Yes, there is a source to get TTs, Tillig makes lots of TTs, Roco and Piko are also making TTs. There are also some other smaller manufacturers who do TTs (though they are not cheap). Kühn makes quite nice models: Kühn Arriva

Also Deék modell, TT scale(Smalll Hungarian manufacturer)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Well the are quite cool models.

I think it would pay to replace the wheel sets with metal wheels on the rolling stock if possible.

No seeing the interors, the only really difficult ones might be the steam locomotives.

Look forward to seeing more progress.

John

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi all!

Almost done with the layout plan, will post it in the layout forum. One more question I would like to ask, how do u connect switches, lights, etc into the digital system? i assume you need a decoder for those too. How do you operate street lights with a digital control station?

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE How do you operate street lights with a digital control station?

It depends on the current required.

If the street lights are all filament bulbs, I would use a relay. That keeps the high current street light requirement away from the decoder.

If the street lights are LEDs then it would be possible to control a number of them from a lights only function decoder. The limit would be the current capability of the decoder - maybe 10 lights max?

David

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks! So in a nutshell with DCC I should only control the locos and switches, all other electrical equipments(street lights, crossing gates, control lights, etc) should be controlled by relays, right?

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE So in a nutshell with DCC I should only control the locos and switches

I think the only "given" with DCC is controlling the locos and maybe coach lighting. Everything else is a choice based on circumstance and personal choice, so there aren't any hard and fast rules which is why we have so many topics in the DCC section?

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Would it not be possible to control sections of lighting using the motor output of a cheapo end decoder ?

Not only would you be able to control quite a few you would also be able to dim them ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts