Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am currently installing 2 front LED lights and a smoke generator to my DCC ready Britannia. I have a select controller and was planning to put in a TCS 4 function decoder, but today I read that Select with TCS decoders, people are having some problems. Now I bought the TCS because that was what was only available here in Perth Aust at the time. Also because I have extra weight in the loco to pull 7 pullmans up an incline so I opted for the 1.5amp load cutout on the TCS. Have not conducted a stall test (keep forgetting).

What I do have is hornby 4 function decoders rated to 500ma and 1 Bachmann 1 amp 4 function decoder.

Which one do I use as I dont want to wire everything in and then have to pull it out.

Can anyone give me some guidance please.

Many thanks

Martin

·
DT
4,794 Posts
You have to check what current the smoke generator requires and see if the decoder has sufficient current output on the functions.

For example, a Seuthe #7 may draw about 350 mA. The four functions of a Lenz Gold are rated at only 200 mA each.

So you see this combination would not work.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh never considered this........ I got my smoke generators and led's from 1st class trains which gave great service by the way, and have asked him for the info. That means I cant use the hornby one. Sound like it is TCS.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Hello Martin

The TCS decoder will handle a Seuthe #22 which is the one for plastic bodied locomotives. It draws less than 200mA and Whilst TCS don't promote the fact they now use 250mA semiconductors on their functions.

The First Class trains ones are low current / same or less usually but without knowing the model # I can't advise definately..

Use the TCs or the Bachmann - to be honest the best thing you can do with the hornby decoders is take them back!

Yes, there are issues with TCS and Hornby: The Hornby Select is actually a problem with several brands of decoders, but it is NOT the fault of the decoders at all.... The problem is that the Hornby is NOT an NMRA compatible DCC system (it should be called Hornby Digital NOT DCC) as it is NOT made to the correct DCC standards, has an incorrect waveform that is very bad and as a result it has problems in several areas.

The same issues bedevil the Hornby decoders unfortunately,

Regards

Richard
DCCconcepts

QUOTE (Martin71)Hi all

I am currently installing 2 front LED lights and a smoke generator to my DCC ready Britannia. I have a select controller and was planning to put in a TCS 4 function decoder, but today I read that Select with TCS decoders, people are having some problems. Now I bought the TCS because that was what was only available here in Perth Aust at the time. Also because I have extra weight in the loco to pull 7 pullmans up an incline so I opted for the 1.5amp load cutout on the TCS. Have not conducted a stall test (keep forgetting).

What I do have is hornby 4 function decoders rated to 500ma and 1 Bachmann 1 amp 4 function decoder.

Which one do I use as I dont want to wire everything in and then have to pull it out.

Can anyone give me some guidance please.

Many thanks

Martin

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, got the info from first class trains as follows:

Smoke generators are 120mA and Lights are 20mA ea.

Thanks you for your reply Richard thats great info you have given me. I have had no real problems with hornby decoders working with the hornby select but from everything I have read and with what you have also said, I do plan to upgrade my controller at Christmas time when I go to the UK for holidays. I plan to get the new Ecos, 2 or 3 sound decoders and a programmer for them, or the dynimics. I will wait to see what people say about the dynamics and go from there.

I was going to install the loksound 3.5 with these lights and smoke generator but was told to hold off until the new year as there will be new ones on the market. At this stage just light and sound for my britannia. I also have the NRM flying scotsman which I have 2 smoke generators and light for giving me a total of 280ma for everything. I may use the Bachmann de coder on for this as the TCS has very fine wire and I feel safer with it, also I dont have much space in the Britannia.

Thanks everybody, will post a couple of pics when i get it running.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys

I really need some help here. Let me tell you my problem first. I am installing lights and smoke on my Britannia and I was using the TCS 4 function decoder which can handle 2 x20mA LED's and 1 x 150mA smoke generator. OK tested smoke gen... ok, lights ok, motor and pickup etc all ok. Wired in TCS decoder for control of motor only, and here is my the problem. Only works in anologue or 00 on select. I can hear the decoder programming when I change it to DCC eg loco 2, 5 etc but no control at all. Blue common, Green 1st function, white front lights no joy here also. Ok remounted hornby decoder all ok, bachmann decoder ok, and I am going to assume that the TCS is ok also.

The problem I believe is my select so can anyone suggest a good decoder that will do the following:

Work with select
handle 1 function of 150mA
1 function of 40mA
and 1 function of 20ma

Lights mounted 2 x 20mA LED's

The Boys trying to solve problem

Smoke generator with oil storage tank wrapped in paper and sealed with high temp exhaust sealent.

Really want to get this running as I have 3 more loco's to do, and 1 has 2 smoke generators NRM Flying Scotsman 300mA

Many thanks,

Martin

·
Registered
697 Posts
Martin

I think the harsh truth is that you'll be running round in circles until you bite the bullet and ditch the Select.
Unfortunately until you do, all other attempts at a solution will be of a "sticking plaster" nature and will probably lead to more frustration.
It might be better if you concentrate your efforts on choosing a new system first.
There are plenty of good options out there.

Good luck

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I concur with the above.

Most people don't install lights and smoke on steam trains. You are really doing a great job. When you're done with yours, feel free to come and visit...

Check out the Zimo decoders from DCC Supplies

The maximum current of all function outputs combined for the MX64 is 500 mA. The MX64 manual is here (PDF).

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for all your help..... ahh well time to trade in the select. It really gave me no trouble until now.

Richard thanks didnt know u were in Perth. Are you open on Saturdays as I work Monday to Friday Nth Side will contact you tomorrow.

Many thanks, and will keep u posted.

Martin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts