Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I was a good boy (yeah, sure...
), Santa gave me a gift voucher from my local hobby shop...

... and I can´t decide which of the following two engines to get:

a Brawa Royal Bavarian 4x1/1, vintage 1916 (photo snagged off eBay, © lok1000)

or...

a class 98.70, former Saxonian VII T, made by Profi Modell Thyrow ("pmt", pic found on their website)

... which one would you get? Both are in very (!!!) limited supply, so I´d better act fast.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
That's a tough choice! They have both got so much character. If I wasn't modelling a particular period or region, I'd be happy with either. If forced to make a decision, I think I'd go with the ...........................

no I still can't decide, sorry.

Ok the Saxonian on the grounds that if it is probably the "finer" model, and please don't ask me to explain what I think I mean by that; a dictionary might help.

David

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi,

Neither loco is compatible with each other, their operating areas do not overlap or even touch moreover they are different eras however what is the motive behind your question, why ask the forum, surely you should decide for yourself? Are you collecting models based on their technical/artistic merit rather than a realistic collection?

Tim

I am attempting to build a model of a railway rather than a model railway. This does not mean that I am 'better' than other enthusiasts but I am merely taking a different path. In the model railway community, all interests should be celebrated as they add to the richness of the hobby.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (72C @ 28 Dec 2007, 23:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,

Neither loco is compatible with each other, their operating areas do not overlap or even touch moreover they are different eras however what is the motive behind your question, why ask the forum, surely you should decide for yourself? Are you collecting models based on their technical/artistic merit rather than a realistic collection?
Tim

I am attempting to build a model of a railway rather than a model railway. This does not mean that I am 'better' than other enthusiasts but I am merely taking a different path. In the model railway community, all interests should be celebrated as they add to the richness of the hobby.

Please do forgive me for ever asking, it was a mistake. (Note to self: steer clear of this forum, they don´t want you here)

My fields of interest are Bavarian and Saxonian engines in Ep. I and, if not available, II. Both would "fit".

Is my collection, my layout, realistic? By your standards, no, by mine, neither, yet I don´t aim for "realism", but rather "credibility". Do I think my layout - don´t worry, I won´t bother you with pictures - is credible? Absolutely. Do I have fun researching the 1910s and 20s? You bet! Do I enjoy my models? Yessiree!

But, since you don´t want me to ask the forum for their opinion, I hereby retract my question. Nobody needs to care about my layout, or collection - MOVE ON, NOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE ON...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Preserved railways mix and match. Do these engines run on preserved lines? The way I look at it is, this is what I would have on my railway if I was rich enough to have one.
Would the Railway Children have ever been made if someone had come along and said, "Can't have that. There was no such railway company as the GN&SR".
I'd go with the Brawa Royal Bavarian 4x1/1. Twin pantographs, nice livery and an unusual design.

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
I dont understand why people have to argue on these sites..................................... Modelling is all about how you want it to be and its how you see it in your heart. It doesnt matter if you are not brilliant or "perfect" at it, nor does it matter if it does not look 100% realistic. Remember what is one persons love is another persons hate.

ME 26-06 , I would like to see your pictures as i would like to see every bodys work and thats why i show mine as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
QUOTE (72C @ 28 Dec 2007, 22:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,

Tim

OOH! Who died and made you king? lol! Does it really matter if operating areas do not overlap? Did it occur to you this person may just like railways?

methinks a swift correspondence course in manners might be in order here.

Please don't leave the forum me 26 06. We're not all rivet counters.

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 28 Dec 2007, 21:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Since I was a good boy (yeah, sure...
), Santa gave me a gift voucher from my local hobby shop...

... and I can´t decide which of the following two engines to get:

a Brawa Royal Bavarian 4x1/1, vintage 1916 (photo snagged off eBay, © lok1000)

a class 98.70, former Saxonian VII T, made by Profi Modell Thyrow ("pmt", pic found on their website)

... which one would you get? Both are in very (!!!) limited supply, so I´d better act fast.
Hmmm tricky choice if you like both! The Brawa Royal Bavarian 4x1/1 tempts me more because...the picture is better
. No, because of the lovely green and gold livery, (and the "beware of trains" sign that is included!). What about running qualities or DCC capabilities however? I would try or watch both in the shop, ask anyone else in the shop at the time for their opinion, ask the owner of the shop, and then roll a dice to decide!

Since you ask for a decision, I say: The Brawa Royal Bavarian 4x1/1

P.S. Don't don't don't let the barking mad people make you leave ME 26-06, you're a great member of the forum and I'm always wanting to see a picture of your newest model, (or yet another picture of your Reihe 310
) !

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
definately the electric....especially if you have some 'active' overhead?

lucky begger!

although........next, you'll be wanting some nice coaches to go behind it?

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
233 Posts
Keith Wilkes wrote
QUOTE OOH! Who died and made you king? lol! Does it really matter if operating areas do not overlap? Did it occur to you this person may just like railways?

methinks a swift correspondence course in manners might be in order here.

I suppose my last paragraph is incomprehensible to you?

QUOTE This does not mean that I am 'better' than other enthusiasts but I am merely taking a different path. In the model railway community, all interests should be celebrated as they add to the richness of the hobby.

This surely answers this question?

BTW As far as ME26-02's reply is concerned, it is surely his decision on both what to buy and how to respond to any replies to his question? There was no hint that he should leave the forum or that he was not wanted, those comments originate purely from ME26-02's but aren't we getting a little too sensitive to comment?

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 28 Dec 2007, 22:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's a tough choice! They have both got so much character. If I wasn't modelling a particular period or region, I'd be happy with either. If forced to make a decision, I think I'd go with the ...........................

no I still can't decide, sorry.

Ok the Saxonian on the grounds that if it is probably the "finer" model, and please don't ask me to explain what I think I mean by that; a dictionary might help.

David

Just about the way I feel, although I'm leaning towards the electric.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 28 Dec 2007, 23:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Note to self: steer clear of this forum, they don´t want you here)

But, since you don´t want me to ask the forum for their opinion, I hereby retract my question. Nobody needs to care about my layout, or collection - MOVE ON, NOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE ON...

Is my collection, my layout, realistic? By your standards, no, by mine, neither, yet I don´t aim for "realism", but rather "credibility". Do I think my layout - don´t worry, I won´t bother you with pictures - is credible? Absolutely. Do I have fun researching the 1910s and 20s? You bet! Do I enjoy my models? Yessiree!

Please steer right back - the majority almost certainly do want you here. You have made a lot of quality contributions in the past.

Also, don't retract the question, to me (& others) it's an interesting choice & as far as I am concerned I'm interested (although I think that maybe your comments were a little TIC).

As to the third quote - that's just about how we approach the hobby as well.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
For me it has to be the Royal Bavarian, mostly because it's attractive, on the other hand........no I'll stick with the Bavarian.

Oh and by the way ME there's no need to go.

Regards

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 31 Dec 2007, 12:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For me it has to be the Royal Bavarian, mostly because it's attractive, on the other hand........no I'll stick with the Bavarian.

Oh and by the way ME there's no need to go.

Regards

Thanks for your help, guys (and gals)! I truly appreciate it. Really.

I went to the hobby store yesterday, to buy the Bavarian engine; however, both models had serious flaws (dull spots) in their paint jobs.

The hobby store owner and my girlfriend then made me an offer I couldn´t refuse (it concerned rebates and advances on future birthday presents; side note: I´m a leo
), and I am now the proud owner of an engine that so doesn´t fit into my collection, yet has sprung driving wheels on all five axles, superb and fine detail, runs great, and features an excellent finish. A fellow modeller on a German forum wrote that even if you´re not interested in this model, once you´ve seen it close up and running, you´ll want to have it anyway. That sure is true imho.

I´m talking about the brand new Fleischmann class 95.

I´m not sure if pictures or details would be welcome, and since I wanted to become a lot more passive anyway, I´m a bit hesitant to review this model. However, should any of you be interested, I might post a few pictures.

A very, very nice and happy 2008 to you all, and enjoy your New Year´s Eve celebrations.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 31 Dec 2007, 16:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I´m talking about the brand new Fleischmann class 95.

I´m not sure if pictures or details would be welcome, and since I wanted to become a lot more passive anyway, I´m a bit hesitant to review this model. However, should any of you be interested, I might post a few pictures.
A very, very nice and happy 2008 to you all, and enjoy your New Year´s Eve celebrations.

Yes please (on both counts)

Best wishes for '08.

Regards

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 31 Dec 2007, 16:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I´m talking about the brand new Fleischmann class 95.
However, should any of you be interested, I might post a few pictures.

Ooh, yes please ME 26-06! I'll let you off a long wordy review but I insist on a picture at the very least.

I hope you and everyone else here has a splendid 2008!!

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (ME 26-06 @ 1 Jan 2008, 03:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for your help, guys (and gals)! I truly appreciate it. Really.

I´m talking about the brand new Fleischmann class 95.

I would be very interested in this as it is a potential buy for me. I had initially thought it was a must buy but noticed that it only had a 6 pole interface for a decoder. That really cuts down your options somewhat.

Please post as many details as possible and a review if you wish.
A very Happy New Year to you too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts