Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hornby have re-released the 121, 117 (?) ,101 ,156 and gwr railcars already what else did Lima produce without a loco on the front?

I don't see why the 33 shouldn't come out, okay heljan have theirs but there is room for a budget model. and the 31 isn't that bad a model for its age.

·
In depth idiot
8,578 Posts
The 33 as an economy option against Heljan makes sense. But on the 31 they would do better to put the current model in Railroad, and retool to correct the defective cabside window appearance.

·
Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 1 May 2008, 10:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't see why the 33 shouldn't come out, okay heljan have theirs but there is room for a budget model. and the 31 isn't that bad a model for its age.

Which is of course the point I was making - albeit in an obtuse manner.

Mind you if we are looking to expand what could be used from the old Lima range there is the very limited steam loca range. This comprised of five, I think, locos last produced in the mid 80's.

I know they were poor by todays standards but at least two have not, to my knowledge, been produced by anybody else. (At this point I have donned the trusty battle bowler and dived into the nearest slit trench)

Regards

·
In depth idiot
8,578 Posts
The only Lima stima I have ever looked at was the J50, and I think it would be fair to say that a Triang Jinty of circa 1960 comfortably surpassed it. Now if Hornby were inclined to introduce a J50 to M7 standard...

·
Registered
764 Posts
I think given the size of it the J50 would be a good candidate to tool up to modern standards, there's enough roon for the motor and a fair bit of weight without filling the cab up and even room for a decoder without impacting on the weight too much. Given hornbys seeming reluctance to tap into the super detail 0-6-0 void it could just be an unfulfilled wish though.

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
QUOTE I think given the size of it the J50 would be a good candidate to tool up to modern standards

A J50 with accurate body dimensions would be right up my street. If they didn't want to add all the detail, I could probably do it myself.

David

·
In depth idiot
8,578 Posts
QUOTE (spongebob @ 1 May 2008, 19:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think given the size of it the J50 would be a good candidate to tool up to modern standards, there's enough roon for the motor and a fair bit of weight without filling the cab up and even room for a decoder without impacting on the weight too much.
The decoder can go in the bunker, there is room enough for an access slot from below to a socket in a void large enough for any typical HO decoder. But then having seen the pigs ear Hornby made of remotoring the similarly capacious Mainline N2, it does rather temper any optimism about the possibilities...

·
Registered
42 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 1 May 2008, 12:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Which is of course the point I was making - albeit in an obtuse manner.

Mind you if we are looking to expand what could be used from the old Lima range there is the very limited steam loca range. This comprised of five, I think, locos last produced in the mid 80's.

I know they were poor by todays standards but at least two have not, to my knowledge, been produced by anybody else. (At this point I have donned the trusty battle bowler and dived into the nearest slit trench)

Regards

GWR 'King' Prairie (45XX?) and '94XX' pannier, LNER J50 and LMS Crab- an LNER V2 was in the catalogue for a long time but never appeared. Were there any others?

The two 0-6-0Ts (or at least new versions to modern standards) would probably be welcome, but I don't see much mileage in reviving the originals. The one thing from the Lima range that I'd really like to see come back is the LMS 42' parcels van
http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p27217859.html

·
Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 4 May 2008, 13:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>having seen the pigs ear Hornby made of remotoring the similarly capacious Mainline N2, it does rather temper any optimism about the possibilities...

I thought that the N2, being ex Mainline would have been produced by Bachmann - not Hornby.

Regards

·
In depth idiot
8,578 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 6 May 2008, 15:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought that the N2, being ex Mainline would have been produced by Bachmann - not Hornby.
But in the mysterious 'dance of the tools' following the end of Airfix GMR and Mainline the N2 (and various other models) went to Dapol, and were then sold on to Hornby. I have absolutely no insight into what determined which tools went where! The N2 body is pretty good, but the original plastic chassis with noisy and bulky motor visible in the cab was never up to much. Hornby could produce a much better model with a 'current standard' chassis; the body shell, enhanced with a little extra applied detail like lamp irons and injectors would still be very presentable.

·
Registered
223 Posts
QUOTE (tgh263 @ 18 Apr 2008, 18:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Back on the original subject I think Hornby should produce any / all of the Lima 37s and 47s.
For the 37s best part of 100 running numbers to choose from and for the 47s probably 120+ running numbers to choose from.
Even with todays Heljans, Bachmann and ViTrains offerings, still some of the nicest locos running.

Not ANOTHER 37!!! Let's leave it at Bachmann and ViTrains. I think we've got enough.

Lima 47? Mmmm might encourage Bachmann to improve their very good but not yet perfect offering. The Lima 47 was better than Hornby's and Heljan's was let down by the width.

I'd like to see the Class 117 DMUs myself.

·
Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
If I'm honest, and specific to me and a few others around, reissuing the old HO Mk1 and Mk2 coaches - I still need a fair few to complete rakes.

Regards

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi All,

Since I missed the 1st batch, I would like to see a re run of the Irish Rail 201 Class. A nice proper motor to boot instead of the noisey pancake job and also there are quite a few liveries available.

I missed the 1st run of these and the asking prices on e-bay prices are way too high at the moment.

Some chance though!!

Cheers

George

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
QUOTE Irish Rail 201 Class

I thought that was just a Class 33 in orange black or am I thinking of something even earlier?

David

·
Chief mouser
11,779 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 9 Dec 2008, 18:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought that was just a Class 33 in orange black or am I thinking of something even earlier?

I remember the "Irish" 33, but as far as I recall didn't Hornby do a Hymek in the same livery many years ago?

Regards

·
Registered
894 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 9 Dec 2008, 18:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought that was just a Class 33 in orange black or am I thinking of something even earlier?

David

They did do a 33 in orange and black in the past sometime, but they have done 201s in 2001 (?), I think they were about 9 models in two liveries released in batches of 300. Commmissioned by Murphys models if memory serves.

·
In depth idiot
8,578 Posts
If it was in 2001 that the last 201s were made available, then that would be under Lima's ownership. To the best of my knowledge Hornby have yet to re-use this tooling, since acquiring Lima. Maybe Hornby are awaiting a knock on the door from Murphy's Models, considering that they best know that market sector? Simon Kohler has acknowledged that this re-release is a possibility since Hornby have the Class 59 underframe re-worked to suit the ex Lima 59.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.