Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your favourite monthly model rail mag ?
Model Rail8048.19%
Railway Modeller4426.51%
BRM1710.24%
Other2515.06%

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just curious as to what others think... Mine is definatly Model Rail - the information and articles are more intersting IMHO although it is starting to go the same way as RM/BRM with more and more adverts starting to appear !

·
Registered
334 Posts
I actually like the adverts, I think it is an essential part of my read each month and of course the more there are the more commercially successful and full of articles the magazine is.

·
Vendor
29 Posts
I prefer Model Rail for the letters, Q & A, and variety of prototype articles. The more lighthearted and less 'rivet counter' attitude appeals to me.

When I want to locate a product I buy Railway Modeller for the amazing selection of advertising. If I was more oriented towards building things myself instead of relying on the very well produced RTR products, then Railway Modeller would suit me more.

Generally, the use of colour throughout Model Rail is a big factor, articles that don't look too 'text heavy'are more inviting to read.

Probably a good job I'm not a publisher !!

·
Registered
28 Posts
My main problem is actually getting any of these mags. I've ended up with a subscription to BRM, as it's the only one I could find on the 'Net, and couldn't find anything in any newsagents.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I don't have a favourite these days, though I used to subscribe to Inernational Modeller.

If I can be bothered to go get off my backside and actually visit a good newsagent, which tends only to happen when I have a bee in my bonnet about buying some new equipment, (like now!) I have a good rake through what is on the shelves, usually quite a good selection, and buy one, perhaps two of those magazines that particularly appeal to me on that day. It was just Model Rail on this occasion and I am still enjoying it although some of the ads with dense lists really DO need a magnifying glass to read these days!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have to say model rail is my favourite read each month as it offers fair reviews without going to the extreme of totally panning the latest release for minor (or sometimes major) inaccuracies.
I think it is suitable for beginners and more experienced modellers alike with a good Q&A section as well as an ordinary letters page and the masterclasses each month are worth the cost on their own.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My magazines are Loki, Eisenbahn-Amateur and most of the time the model-railroader. If I'm lucky I also will get a hold on the Model Rail. Most of the British magazines are hard to get.

Maarten

·
Registered
5 Posts
".....I prefer Model Rail for the letters, Q & A, and variety of prototype articles. The more lighthearted and less 'rivet counter' attitude appeals to me. When I want to locate a product I buy Railway Modeller for the amazing selection of advertising.........."

Model Rail for me too....
Also concur with the occasional RM purchase for advertising content, (why doesn't Cheltenham Models advertise in Model Rail, and where is its much trailed website?) or when a layout is featured which attracts my attention
Recently took out Model Rail subscription (not usually a subscription person) primarily to take advantage of their current excellent free (£30+ worth) offer of weathering paints for new subscribers.

Cheers
Robt P.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I agree with all Model Rail readers, the topics each month ables one to learn from other modellers experiences.
My only gripe is the font size used in the advertisement pages - I can no longer able to read contents, even with the use of reading spectacles and additional magnifying glass.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have so many magazines I only buy them now when there is an article that interests me. Though I have more Model Rail magazines than others.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I read Railway Modeller each month and get alot of BRMs past to me by another member of my local club. I have to say that looking at the results of the poll and reading the replies here that I'm amazed at how popular Model Rail is, if I were to predict the order of popularity of the three main model rail mags here in the UK I'd have guessed it would have been
Railway Modeller
British Railway Modelling
Model Rail
That's just based on what the club members read and what's stocked in the local news agents.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Apologies to the other mags but I've been on the Model Rail band wagon for a few years now. They seem to have a good "human" crew and their regular outside contributors such as Steve Banks & Andy Mullins (and others)are obviously very skilled at model making and fairly useful at conveying their methods to the humble "average" modeller like myself. The only thing they seem to be missing is a good regular loco kit builder and commentator like Tony Wright at BRM, Having said that, kit construction is becoming more and more of a black art and almost unneccessary as the range of RTR locos is become huge and the quality is generally very good.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I do buy all the 3 monthly UK magazines and find they all have their own merits and drawbacks. Railway modeller has a good selection of layouts generally and is good for the swopmeet dates section(even if the bloody organisers don't bother telling them when they change dates that are double booked with the British superbikes). Its also been around since the dawn of time so is well established.

BRM is good for more steam era modelling and the loco building section is second to none, the reviews are also better and more substantial than in railway modeller There are usually a lot more classifieds than the other 2 mags too. If you are ever struggling to get to sleep on a night i find the letters page to be en excellent cure for insomnia but with little constructive to offer on anything.

Model rail is probably the all rounder of the 3 with useful info for beginners and more experienced modellers alike, it doesn't tend to be aimed at steam or diesel in particular but offers a good balance of items on both areas(not forgetting electric and narrow gauge). The masterclasses are very good, its a pity i missed about 2 years worth before i took up modelling in late 2001, the Q&A pages are informative and the letters page is also worth a good read.

There is a 4th mainly UK mag that being Modern Railway Modeller which is by the BRM and traction team, this is quarterly and although it started out brightly enough seems to have lost its way a bit with many articles seeming to lack a bit of depth. I don't really see the need to include a secction on overseas layouts as there are enough magazines devoted to that type of layout, though maybe thats just my opinion because i model UK outline.

This year i have subscrbed to model rail but am still awaiting my free gift. Like the special edition loco's you guys are all waiting for the payment has been taken but the goods not yet received.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I actually get all three mags plus a host of others, Steam days, BriLL, Heritage railways etc . Shame I couldn't vote for all three at the same time.

Ozzie 21

1 - 20 of 38 Posts