Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I subscribe to three. British Railway Modelling - because they offered me a subscription for about £15. MRM because that is what I am interested in for indoors & garden Rail for my Garden Railway. I also read Model Rail & Railway Modeller.

If I were to choose one for OO/N it would be Railway Modeller mainly because it has the most adverts & other content. Generally I do not find that any of the OO/N magazines interest me for very long. Like most US magazines I find they look good but don't have much in depth content. I agree that MRM is struggling to find its way and again it is not that much of a read. Big spacing means not many words to the page.

Garden Rail is good but very short. I wish it were twice the size! Sometimes it is better than others. I have it on subscription because nowhere that I go sells it & the petrol cost to go to the only place I know that does sell it is more than the subscription price of the magazine!

Overall I don't really think that there is a best magazine. It depends on the articles that are in any one particular issue. The rise of the internet has made it increasingly unnecessary for me to buy any magazine & I suspect that is where I will end up.

Chris

·
Registered
133 Posts
QUOTE (spongebob @ 18 Feb 2006, 18:59)Incidentally has anyone managed to get hold of a copy of the first BRM annual, it apparently came out in late January exclusively at WH smiths but so far i haven't seen a copy anywhere, but then again WH smiths are very unreliable with what they keep in these days as it varies from store to store and indeed month to month.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Smiths had 3 copies in Great Yarmouth 15th Feb. Being Smiths they were not in the model railways bit but in the annuals section!

Chris

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think that we have managed to prove the obvious. All the model railway mags must sell or they would not be given shelf space so a significant group of readers presumably think each title worth buying. The fact that they are all flawed in some way justifies the available choice. We all pick the ones that hopefully interest us most.

Perhaps the most interesting question that remains unanswered is how loyal we all are & why?

If we have a subscription is it because we are convinced which mag we like or because of a special offer that grabbed us ( this is me & BRM)?

If we don't have a subscription do we simply pick up the same mag each month or consider them all & buy the ones we like best? If so does this always end up as the same mag?

If you buy a title that isn't your "normal" title what made you buy it?

To answer my own question I often find that any magazine has little to interest me as I model fairly modern image & in the garden. I flick through the mags & consider those that have articles on my topics. It is often a very few.

Chris

·
Registered
133 Posts
Spongebob,

It was not with the book type Annuals but with the magazine type annuals eg "card makers annual" etc. These were generally in the magazine section but not with the magazines of the same topic.

Actually I now find magazines all over the place in Smiths. I have a feeling it all depends on which highly motivated individual put them out. Why some model railway magazines are in modelling & others with full size railway mags is totally beyond me otherwise. Modelling of all types is now generally with "handicraft" type mags & at the other end of the shop from the real activities that are modelled. No wonder magazine sales are falling at Smiths.

Chrisgus, er yes I think that I agree!!?!

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.