Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from my signalling thread in which Al has very kindly provided a revamp of my layout I need to add a crossover from one mainline to the other. The question is which Peco code 55 turnouts are most suitable for the job. Track will be standard width apart.

·
Registered
574 Posts
It's always go for a large a radius turnout as you can, however, the general rule is what ever fits and looks right.
Lookin at the Photos, medium radii turnouts would be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Swingcats,

Which crossing you use is also important. The long crossing (SL-394F) is set at 10° which is the same angle as all of the Peco FS points and is ideal for making a crossing between 2 parallel tracks. The short crossing SL-393F), however, is set at 20° which makes for a more oblique angle of approach. You might also wish to consider the Scissor crossing which is an excellent piece of kit and ideal for a station throat.

In any event Al is absolutely right in saying that you should, wherever possible, use the longest points you can fit it since this not only looks better but, as the radius of the turnout track is larger, trains will run over it much smoother with less risk of derailments.

Expat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts