Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 79 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
New to the forum, I'm planning a 12' by 9' L-shaped 'tail chaser' layout for the garage. I'd like it to be based around about the mid to late 70's, so which track is best?, not just from a prototypical point of view, but ease of use, availability etc. I've heard lots of favourable things about SMP and C&L, but pictures are hard to come by, and is it really that much better than Peco stuff? Any info would be appreciated

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got (so far): Bachmann Class 24, Bachmann Class 37, Hornby Class 31 and 2 Bachmann Class 20's (all BR blue): rolling stock is all freight stuff (Bachmann TEA tanks, Hornby & Bachmann Seacows & Sealions etc.) I was thinking of having one side of the L-shape in Peco code 100 concrete sleepered depicted as a still well-used 'mainline' and the other side as a less-well used 'branch, still used as an occasional diversionary route, hence I was thinking of using the SMP or C&L, as it's bullhead rail. The loops at each end are to be scenic breaks and are Peco 3rd radius set track (dictated by space allowed) Is there any problems in joining code 75 to code 100?
Thanks for the info so far

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to everyone for their replies. As I say I'm new to the forum and have returned to the hobby after 20 years or so (house, marriage, kids etc.) I had a layout when I was young, which my Dad built using Peco track, and I've just managed to get a couple of yards of Peco code 100 concrete sleepered track which looks OK, but doesn't seem to have changed from 20 years ago!!! when we appear to have had so many advances in the hobby, it seems a bit of a shame. I want the new layout to realistic, but I'm not bothered about 100% accuracy
Anyway, I've heard and read SMP and C&L are far superior but it's hard to find good comparison photos.
Does Marcway pointwork go with SMP?
I've not heard of Tillig, but I've seen an ad in Model Rail for 'Borg' does anyone use their track?

1 - 3 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.